Connect with us

News

Akwa Ibom gov tasks airport committee on April 1 take-off date

Published

on

Akwa Ibom State Governor, Umo Eno, has tasked the inter-ministerial committee on the international airport status of the Victor Attah Airport to ensure that all required benchmarks are met ahead of the facility’s operational take-off in April this year.

The Federal Government last year upgraded the Victor Attah Airport to international status, clearing the way for the facility to begin processing international passengers this year.

The governor also charged the committee on the Treasury Single Account to ensure the full implementation of the TSA for Internally Generated Revenue in the state.

Governor Eno gave the charge while inaugurating the committees shortly after signing into law the ₦1.585 trillion 2026 budget during an enlarged State Executive Council meeting on Monday.

A statement by the Commissioner for Information, Mr Aniekan Umanah, on Tuesday said the inauguration of the committees marked another strategic step in the administration’s drive to strengthen governance systems while fast-tracking the completion of major development projects across the state.

According to the statement, members of the Inter-Ministerial Committee on International Airport Status Implementation include Prince Enobong Uwah, Secretary to the State Government, as chairman; Hon. Emem Bob, Commissioner for Finance and Special Duties; Mr George Uriesi, Managing Director of Ibom Air; Engr. Ephraim Udosen, Permanent Secretary, Special Duties; Pastor Uwem Andrew Essien, Accountant-General, with Mr Uwem Ekanem, Managing Director of the Airport Development Authority, as secretary.

The Inter-Ministerial Committee on the Implementation of TSA-IGR has Mr Emem Bob, Commissioner for Finance, as chairman; Mr Uko Udom (SAN), Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice; Dr Frank Ekpenyong, Commissioner for Science and Digital Economy; Mr Frank Archibong, Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs; Dr Ubong Inyang, Commissioner for Lands; and Dr Linus Nkan, Commissioner for Budget and Economic Planning, as members, with Mr Okon Okon, Chairman of the State Internal Revenue Service, as secretary.

See also  EFCC recovered N500bn, secured 7,000 convictions under my watch – Tinubu

Eno expressed confidence in the members, noting that their expertise would contribute significantly to the state’s infrastructural growth and financial stability.

He urged them to intensify their efforts to ensure that all preparatory works remain on schedule.

“I expect this committee to work tirelessly to ensure the realisation and commencement of full operations at the international airport by the first week of April 2026,” he said.

Governor Eno emphasised the need for transparency, fiscal discipline and effective coordination across government agencies, warning that no agency of government is permitted to operate an independent account.

“No agency is allowed to own its own stand-alone account. All revenue must be generated and spent through one account. This is the only way we can maintain transparency and track our resources effectively.

“Let me make it absolutely clear that no part of government will generate money and spend.

“Please, if we find out that you circumvent this instruction in any way, we will not take it kindly. All funds should go to the Treasury Single Account.

“Then the committee will give back some percentages to the MDAs as running costs. We have a huge budget of ₦1.5 trillion, and we need these funds for the good of our people.”

Eno added, “As we speak, we know that Akwa Ibom is not owing any bank in this country — not one bank.

“And we don’t intend to owe, except if it becomes absolutely necessary, and we’ll go to the House of Assembly and make our case.

See also  Greece set to approve controversial 13-hour workday reform

“We know there will be deficits from what we project from the federation account. We don’t intend to borrow. But we know that if we are honest, transparent and accountable, and all of us work to support the Treasury Single Account, we’ll have more than enough to execute the budget.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  UK Threatens To Deport Nigerians Over Illegal Jobs

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  DSS sues Sowore, X and Meta over Anti-Tinubu post
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  Pope plans trip to Africa, starting with Algeria

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Denmark to ban social media for under-15s

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending