Connect with us

News

AU extends Nigeria, Cameroon, others joint military action on Insurgency

Published

on

The African Union (AU) Peace and Security Council has renewed the mandate of the Multinational Joint Task Force fighting Boko Haram in the Lake Chad Basin for another 12 months.

The MNJTF comprises military personnel from Benin, Cameroon, Chad and Nigeria, and is headquartered in N’Djamena, with a mandate to end the Boko Haram insurgency. Niger was a member until its withdrawal in 2025.

The extension, adopted at the Council’s 1318th meeting held on December 15, 2025 and obtained from the AU website on Monday, stated that the renewed mandate will run from February 1, 2026 to January 31, 2027.

It said, in part,”Requests the AU Commission and the LCBC to renew the Memorandum of Understanding and Support Implementation Agreement that guides the provision of the AU’s additional support to the MNJTF for a period of one year, starting from 1 February 2026 to 31 January 2027; and also requests the AU Commission to maintain institutional collaboration and support in the implementation of the adjusted Regional Strategy for Stabilisation, Recovery and Resilience 2.0.

“Decides to renew the mandate of MNJTF for 12 months, effective from 1 February 2026 to 31 January 2027; and also decides to remain actively seized of the matter.”

The Council endorsed the report of the Chairperson of the AU Commission on the activities of the MNJTF and acknowledged what it described as progress made so far in combating terrorism and violent extremism in the Lake Chad Basin.

It also condemned ongoing terror attacks in the region and paid tribute to MNJTF personnel who have died in the line of duty.

See also  Bill, Hillary Clinton to testify in US House Epstein probe

It said,”Endorses the Report of the Chairperson of the AU Commission on the activities of the MNJTF against the Boko Haram terrorist group; and acknowledges the achievements registered thus far in the fight against terrorism and violent extremism in the LCB region.

“Commends the LCBC and all MNJTF Troop Contributing Countries for their continued sacrifices and commitment to defeat Boko Haram, stabilise the LCB region and restore lasting peace, security and stability; and encourages them to persevere until the terrorist group is completely defeated.

“Welcomes the commencement of planned Operation Lake Sanity III aimed at degrading the activities of Boko Haram in the LCB; in the same context, requests the AU Commission and the international community to continue supporting the MNJTF to enable the Mission to more effectively discharge its mandate, including sustaining and consolidating the milestones registered thus far.

“Strongly condemns all terrorist attacks in the LCB area and warns that those responsible will be held accountable.

“Pays tribute to the MNJTF personnel who have paid the supreme sacrifice in the fight against terrorism; and, in this regard, expresses condolences to the families and governments of the deceased and wishes speedy recovery to all those nursing injuries from the terrorist attacks.”

At the same time, the council noted persistent funding and capability gaps, including shortages of air and amphibious assets, as well as counter-drone and anti-IED equipment. Member states and partners were urged to honour past pledges and provide additional assistance ahead of the new operation.

The AU also requested consideration of UN Security Council Resolution 2719 as a possible funding channel for MNJTF activities and encouraged stronger cross-border intelligence sharing among Lake Chad Basin countries.

See also  Transparency, implementation crucial for tax reforms’ success — Dogara

It further highlighted the worsening humanitarian situation in the region, driven by climate change and population displacement, and called for coordinated regional responses.

The council directed the AU Commission and the Lake Chad Basin Commission to renew the support and implementation agreements covering AU assistance to the force for the new mandate period, and said it would remain seized of the matter.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Destabilising Nigeria will empower terrorists, says US lawmaker

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Rivers in turmoil: APC leaders intervene as Fubara faces fresh impeachment threat
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  FULL LIST: AFCON 2025 quarter-final fixtures, date, time, venue

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  ‘Soldiers Withdrawn Before Attack’ – Kwara Village Head Breaks Silence On 10-Hour Bandits’ Massacre

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending