Connect with us

News

“We Cannot Sacrifice Our Children On The Altar Of Trade” – NAFDAC Defends Ban On Sachet Alcohol

Published

on

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has again justified its decision to ban and enforce the ban on the production and sale of sachet alcohol.

Speaking on Friday during an interview on Arise News, the NAFDAC Director General, Professor Mojisola Adeyeye, said the health and safety of children must be prioritized over commercial gains.

She added that the future of children must be protected by avoiding future alcohol addiction. Adeyeye stressed that the action is about protecting the health of citizens.

“So it is on their side that they are all about money, not about health. We are about health and good investments… But we cannot sacrifice our children on the altar of trade,” she said.

Adeyeye explained that alcohol falls under NAFDAC’s regulatory mandate as a food product, noting that the agency was not banning alcohol entirely.

“We are not banning alcohol. We approve alcohol in different packages. It is only in small packages that we are banning.”

No Court Order Against Ban

During the interview, the NAFDAC boss also denied claims that a court order has stopped the enforcement of the ban on sachet alcohol.

Adeyeye maintained that NAFDAC has not received any court order to that effect

“NAFDAC has not been served. If we have been served, I have not been given that,” she said.

She added that the agency resumed enforcement based on legislative backing.

“The Senate gave us the order to resume enforcement,” Adeyeye noted.

Tracing the policy to 2018, she said NAFDAC raised the alarm over sachet alcohol with concentrations of between 43 and 45 per cent.

See also  FCT doctors’ strike continues despite partial payment of arrears

According to her, an agreement was reached with manufacturers under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Health, giving them five years to reorganise.

“That can be easily squeezed into the pocket of a primary school, secondary school child.”

“We all signed that by, after five years, they will not sell alcohol in sachets,” she said.

According to her, when the agreed time expired, on January 31, 2024, an extension was granted following interventions by lawmakers and certain industry stakeholders.

She added that the extended moratorium expired in December 2025.

“The Minister called me and said there had been some discussion, we should give one year moratorium, an extra one year above the five years that we have given before. And that one year expired December 2025.”

Adeyeye said that despite opposition from manufacturers seeking further extensions, enforcement resumed based on the order given by the Senate.

She dismissed claims that warning labels could curb underage drinking.

She also said the policy aligns with Nigeria’s international obligations.

“Do not use under 18. Do not use in Nigeria, are we kidding ourselves? Are we really kidding ourselves? In Nigeria? Who is going to enforce?”

“In 2010, Nigeria signed an agreement, World Health Assembly, 2010, 193 countries signed it that we will not make alcohol to be easily accessible to vulnerable populations,” Adeyeye added.

On criticisms that NAFDAC continued to register sachet alcohol products during the moratorium, Adeyeye said the agency was acting based on legislative directives.

“We were honouring the moratorium, the extended moratorium that was given by registering within a period.

See also  Wike ends LG tours, Assembly alleges plot to stall Fubara’s impeachment in Rivers

“I think we are learning our lessons now that we shouldn’t have even listened or register products, a product at that particular period,” the NAFDAC boss stated.

Responding to suggestions that alcohol concentration should be reduced instead of banning sachets, she said the issue was accessibility and concealment.

She disclosed that some schoolchildren are already getting addicted and there is the urgent need for intervention to correct the trend.

“Actually, it is scientifically possible. It is not just the volume. It is the pack size.

“The principal said that in his school, a student said that he cannot study for exam without a sachet alcohol.

“We are making our children addicts. Addicts.”

“Because you are frying your liver slowly with alcohol over time,” Adeyeye clarified.

She added that NAFDAC is shutting down production lines used for sachet production, and not entire companies.

According to her, manufacturers have always been carried along in the developments leading to the current enforcement.

“Lines have been shut down… We are shutting down lines.

“We were having regular meetings, quarterly meetings with MAN.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Doctors fault FG’s 4.3% health allocation in 2026 budget

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Wike ends LG tours, Assembly alleges plot to stall Fubara’s impeachment in Rivers
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  Wike ends LG tours, Assembly alleges plot to stall Fubara’s impeachment in Rivers

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Blackout looms as gas shortfall hits power stations

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending