Connect with us

Crime

EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arrested a former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, who was recently convicted and sentenced by the Federal High Court, Abuja, for financial misappropriation.

The EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, while adressing a press conference at the agency’s headquarters in Abuja on Tuesday, confirmed that Mamman was arrested in the early hours of Tuesday.

A Federal High Court in Abuja had last week sentenced Mamman to 75 years in prison in absentia.

He was convicted of 12 counts of money laundering and fraud amounting to N33.8 billion, connected to the diversion of funds from the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects.

Olukoyede confirmed that the former minister was arrested in Kaduna State, along with two others who were protecting him.

The EFCC boss also stated that the house where the former minister was arrested is currently being investigated.

“I’m happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr. Saleh Mamman,” he said.

Describing the arrest as a demonstration of the Federal Government’s commitment to fighting corruption, Olukoyede warned that anyone involved in the diversion of public resources would eventually face justice.

“This is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption in Nigeria and to assure Nigerians that anyone who has dipped into government or national resources will not go unpunished.

“The eagle eye of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission will always catch up with you wherever you are hiding,” Olukoyede said.

See also  Lagos driver flees with employer’s car four days after resumption

He assured Nigerians that the EFCC would continue to investigate both public and private individuals accused of corruption.

“We are working. There is no area that we will not go into. We will not leave any area untouched just to ensure that we fulfil our mandate.

“We will uphold our mandate and ensure that everyone, whether private or public, will be investigated and brought to court,” the EFCC chairman said.

Olukoyede said the anti-graft agency had earlier filed charges against the former minister over the alleged conversion of more than N33 billion earmarked for the Mambilla and Zungeru power projects.

“Even before May 24, sometime in January 2025, we filed a charge against the ex-Minister of Power for allegedly converting over N33 billion that was set aside for Mambilla and Zungeru power projects,” he said.

According to the EFCC boss, the commission secured a conviction on all 12 counts against the former minister after about 14 months of prosecution.

“About 14 to 15 months down the line, specifically on the 7th of this month, we secured a conviction on all 12 counts,” Olukoyede stated.

He explained that sentencing was initially delayed because the defendant was absent from court, but judgment was eventually delivered in absentia on May 13.

“Because the main defendant was not present then, the issue of sentencing was shifted, and on the 13th of this month, he was sentenced in absentia,” he added.

Olukoyede disclosed that the commission immediately activated its intelligence and recovery operations to track down the former minister.

See also  How Police found 131 vandalised armoured electricity cables in tinted-glass vehicle

“Since then, we have decided to open our Intelligence, Surveillance and Recovery operations, looking for him all over the place,” he said.

Responding to questions on why the suspect was in EFCC custody rather than a correctional facility, Olukoyede explained that the arrest was recently effected and procedures for his transfer were underway.

The Director of Public Prosecution, Rotimi Oyedepo who also addressed journalists, said the court had ordered all security agencies to ensure the convict had no place to hide and directed his transfer to a correctional centre following conviction.

He said the EFCC’s operation reflected improved inter-agency collaboration in enforcing court judgments.

“The process of transmitting him to the correctional centre is ongoing. The Commission has not just arrested him; it has ensured the sentence is being executed,” he said.

On whether individuals who allegedly aided the fugitive would be prosecuted, EFCC said investigations were ongoing, stressing that anyone found to have harboured a convicted felon would face the law.

Olukoyede further said the commission would expand its investigations to cover additional properties allegedly linked to the convict, noting that fresh assets had already been discovered.

He added that the agency would review its procedures for monitoring high-profile suspects on trial, saying future cases may require closer surveillance to prevent escape from jurisdiction.

Olukoyede said, ” Going forward, there is a need for us to also review our processes, particularly as it relates to ongoing court proceedings. For every high-profile case, as a matter of fact, for every corruption case, we must be able to place every defendant under surveillance.

See also  NDLEA cracks down on Jigawa drug peddlers

“Because it is not in the interest of the country for someone who is under criminal trial or prosecution to escape from jurisdiction. So, we are going to look at it. We are going to work with the court.

“We are going to follow all legal and judicial processes to ensure that all potential defendants in criminal cases are placed under surveillance,” he said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

EFCC releases mugshots of ex-power minister Mamman after arrest

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has released the mugshots of former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, following his arrest by operatives of the anti-graft agency.

Mamman, who was recently convicted and sentenced by a Federal High Court in Abuja over financial misappropriation, was apprehended in the early hours of Tuesday after weeks of surveillance by the commission.

In the photos released by the EFCC, the former minister was seen in handcuffs and holding a booking board after his arrest.

He is currently being detained in the agency’s custody pending further legal proceedings.

Former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, been escorted by an EFCC operative. Photo: EFCC

Speaking at a press conference at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja on Tuesday, the commission’s chairman, Ola Olukoyede, confirmed the arrest and disclosed that the former minister was arrested in Kaduna State alongside two persons allegedly shielding him.

According to Olukoyede, the property where Mamman was arrested is also under investigation by the agency.

“I’m happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr. Saleh Mamman,” he said.

A Federal High Court in Abuja had last week sentenced Mamman to 75 years imprisonment in absentia after finding him guilty on 12 counts bordering on money laundering and fraud involving N33.8 billion.

The funds were linked to the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects under the Ministry of Power.

Former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, holding a charge board. Photo: EFCC

Olukoyede described the arrest as proof of the Federal Government’s determination to tackle corruption and recover public funds.

“This is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption in Nigeria and to assure Nigerians that anyone who has dipped into government or national resources will not go unpunished,” he said.

See also  PHOTOS: Troops clear bandits' camps in Bauchi, rescue kidnapped victims and recover arms

“The eagle eye of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission will always catch up with you wherever you are hiding,” the EFCC chairman added.

He further assured Nigerians that the commission would continue to pursue corruption cases involving both public officials and private individuals.

“We are working. There is no area that we will not go into. We will not leave any area untouched just to ensure that we fulfil our mandate,” Olukoyede stated.

“We will uphold our mandate and ensure that everyone, whether private or public, will be investigated and brought to court,” he said.

Former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, in handcuffs. Photo: EFCC

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

Lagos shawarma vendor shot dead by suspected cultists

Published

on

A shawarma vendor identified simply as Andy has been shot dead by suspected cultists in the Sangotedo area of Lagos State.

PUNCH Metro learnt on Monday that the incident occurred on Saturday evening.

It was gathered that Andy was attending to customers at his shawarma stand when some masked men stormed the spot and opened fire on him at close range.

The attackers were said to have fled immediately after the shooting, leaving the victim in a pool of blood.

A police source familiar with the incident told PUNCH Metro on Monday that the assailants allegedly disguised themselves as customers before launching the attack.

“The information we received was that the suspects came to the spot pretending to be customers who wanted to buy shawarma.

“The victim was attending to them when they suddenly brought out guns and shot him in the head before escaping.

“Our officers later moved to the scene and saw the lifeless body in a pool of blood. The body was later evacuated from the scene,” the source said.

The police source added that the incident had yet to be linked to cultism until investigations were concluded.

Meanwhile, an anti-cultism platform, Confra Naija, in a post seen by PUNCH Metro on Monday, stated that the incident was cult-related.

The platform also described the deceased as peaceful and hardworking.

“Yesterday, a young man named Andy, popularly known as Aboki De Junior, was shot dead around the ShopRite area of Sangotedo, Lagos State. Armed men reportedly arrived at Aboki De Junior’s shawarma spot and opened fire, killing him.

See also  How Police found 131 vandalised armoured electricity cables in tinted-glass vehicle

“After the attack, Eiye cultists claimed responsibility. Aboki De Junior was a peaceful and hardworking shawarma seller from Benue State, known as a calm and friendly businessman who welcomed everybody and had Aye members as friends,” the platform partly wrote.

In a video attached to the post, some residents were seen gathered around the lifeless body while some of them wept over the incident.

A female adult believed to be related to the victim was also seen clutching the lifeless body and crying uncontrollably.

The spokesperson for the state police command, Abimbola Adebisi, could not be reached for comment as calls made to her telephone lines were not answered. A text message sent to her had yet to be replied to as of the time this report was filed.

Lagos State has witnessed a series of cult-related killings and reprisals in recent years, particularly in areas within the Lekki-Ajah axis, Ikorodu, Mushin, and parts of Lagos Mainland, where rival groups have repeatedly clashed over supremacy battles.

PUNCH Metro reported in August 2025 that a shawarma vendor was shot dead by some assailants suspected to be cultists at his shop located in the Mowo area along the Badagry Expressway, Lagos State.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Published

on

One of the kidnapped teachers of Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Michael Oyedokun, has been killed.

Oyedokun was beheaded in a new video allegedly released by bandits on Sunday.

The video obtained by our correspondent on Telegram on Monday showed that the teacher was gruesomely killed after being tied and forced to speak.

The viral inhumane video has raised fresh concerns over the safety of the remaining victims.

This latest development has thrown the community into mourning as residents, families of the victims and native continue to call on security agencies and the Oyo State Government to intensify rescue operations to secure the release of those still in captivity before being killed.

Confirming the killing of the teacher, Dr Suleimon Olanrewaju, the Special Adviser on Media to Governor Seyi Makinde, in a statement on Monday, said the governor extended his condolences to the victim’s family and assured his government would explore both kinetic and non-kinetic approaches to rescue others in the kidnappers’ den.

He also added that about six suspects related to the kidnapping incident have been arrested.

He equally sympathised with the family members of the tactical team of soldiers, Amotekun Corps and local vigilantes, who lost their lives in the rescue operation.

According to him, the operatives lost their lives when they ran into Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), planted by the abductors.

He stated that the wounded security personnel were responding positively to treatment and that the government would spare no cost in taking care of them.

He appealed to the victims’ relatives, religious bodies and other interested parties to exercise patience, promising that the government will rescue and reunite the victims with their families.

See also  VIDEO: Kwara Church Attack: How attackers hid on tree tops for hours before striking

“So, please, there may not be quick fixes, but we will continue to endeavour to push ourselves to the limit to resolve this quickly.

“What we know right now is that seven teachers in all were abducted. And, unfortunately, we got a video this morning that one of the teachers, I understand, the mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists,” he stated.

Makinde, however, said the government has achieved some success with the operation, with some individuals already arrested in connection with the situation.

“Well, from the information available from the Commissioner of Police, about six individuals have been arrested within the locality.

“Some of them, we believe, are perhaps informants or people running logistics for the terrorists.

“Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested by another security outfit within the state,” he said.

PUNCH Online reports that the gunmen invaded the school on Friday, May 15, and abducted the principal, alongside other teachers and several students.

The attack, which happened some weeks after a failed kidnap attempt that left one traveler dead along the Ibadan-Ijebu road, has renewed concerns over rising insecurity in parts of Oyo State and across Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Trending