Connect with us

News

Leah Sharibu is the only Dapchi captive left in criminals’ den — Yobe SSG

Published

on

The Secretary to the Yobe State Government, Mohammed Goje, has disclosed that all the schoolgirls abducted from Government Girls’ Science and Technical College, Dapchi, in 2018 have regained their freedom except Leah Sharibu, who remains in captivity.

Goje stated this in an exclusive interview with Arewa PUNCH on Tuesday while responding to questions bordering on Governor Buni-led administration’s seven years of governance since its inception in 2019.

According to the SSG, the Dapchi girls’ incident is no longer a major issue before the state government because all the abductees, except Sharibu, had been released before the current administration came into office in 2019.

He said, “For the Dapchi girls, except for Leah Sharibu, who, I believe, is still in captivity, the Dapchi girls have all been rescued even before 2019. So, that story is a past one because all of them regained their freedom before this administration came on board.

Our correspondent reports that Sharibu, a Christian among the 110 schoolgirls abducted by insurgents from the Dapchi school in February 2018, was reportedly held back after refusing to renounce her Christian faith, while the remaining girls were released about a month after the abduction.

Although there have been unverified reports over the years about her condition, the Federal Government has repeatedly assured Nigerians that efforts to secure her freedom remain ongoing.

Yobe SSG, Mohammed Goje

Speaking further, Goje said the administration of Governor Mai Mala Buni has prioritised restoring security across Yobe, noting that significant progress has been recorded since 2019.

According to him, improved security has made every local government area in the state accessible, unlike the situation when the administration assumed office.

See also  Alaafin Of Oyo Appoints New Chief Imam Of Oyo

“When we came in 2019, the North-East was deeply affected by insurgency. Many communities were inaccessible because of attacks by Boko Haram and other non-state armed groups.

“But today, as I speak to you, there is no local government in Yobe State that is inaccessible. You can travel to every local government area, and humanitarian organisations can also access communities that were previously cut off,” he stressed.

The SSG added that security improvements had also extended to the ward level, saying almost all political wards across the state are now accessible.

According to Goje, “Except for a few communities in one ward, virtually all the political wards in Yobe are now accessible. That tells you the level of improvement that has been achieved in terms of security.”

He maintained that the restoration of peace had enabled displaced residents to return to their ancestral communities, while government interventions in agriculture, healthcare, education and livelihoods were helping them rebuild their lives.

Continuing, the SSG, while highlighting the reconstruction of Yobe State under the Mai Mala Buni administration further disclosed that the government had reconstructed damaged public infrastructure, supported farmers with agricultural inputs and mechanisation, expanded healthcare services and implemented empowerment programmes to encourage displaced families to remain in their communities.

“Our priority has been to ensure that people not only return home but are able to rebuild their lives. We reconstructed public facilities, supported farmers, expanded healthcare and introduced empowerment programmes so that returning communities can become self-reliant again,” he said.

Goje disclosed further that Yobe became the first state in the country to domesticate the National Internally Displaced Persons Policy and develop a Durable Solutions Action Plan to guide the resettlement and integration of displaced persons.

See also  US likely responsible for strike on Iran school – New York Times

According to him, the policy allows displaced persons to decide whether to return to their ancestral communities, remain where they currently live or relocate elsewhere, with government providing the necessary social services to support whichever option they choose.

Arewa PUNCH reports that the abduction of the Dapchi schoolgirls on February 19, 2018, attracted widespread national and international condemnation and renewed concerns over attacks on schools in the North-East.

While 104 of the girls were released by their captors the following month and another was later confirmed dead, Leah Sharibu remains the only known student yet to regain her freedom more than eight years after the incident.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  PHOTOS: Hidden labour behind Nigeria’s garri: How women labour for hours to feed homes

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Alaafin Of Oyo Appoints New Chief Imam Of Oyo
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  PHOTOS: Hidden labour behind Nigeria’s garri: How women labour for hours to feed homes

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending