Connect with us

News

3-storey building accommodating varsity students collapses in Ebonyi

Published

on

A section of Pentagon Lodge, a building accommodating some students of Alex Ekwueme Federal University, Ndufu-Alike, Ikwo (AE-FUNAI) in Ebonyi State, collapsed on Friday afternoon.

The three-storey building reportedly developed cracks before the incident, prompting some students to vacate the premises.

At the time of filing this report, no casualties had been confirmed, though several students’ belongings were believed to still be inside, particularly those who had travelled out of town.

Sources within the school environment indicate that Pentagon Lodge comprises five different blocks, and a portion of one of the blocks collapsed.

The Public Relations Officer of AE-FUNAI, Elom Iyke Ubochi, confirmed the incident to DAILY POST in Abakaliki on Saturday.

He expressed gratitude that the collapse occurred during lecture hours, implying that many students would have been out of the building and in classes, potentially minimising casualties.

“From what I’ve heard so far, there’s no casualty. It happened during school hours; students were in school for lectures and other activities, but unfortunately, some of their properties were affected.

“We’re expecting any student affected by the incident that happened in the private accommodation outside the school environment to make a formal report to the Dean of Student Affairs to let the management know, but so far, no human casualty,” he said.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Alassane Ouattara tipped for fourth term as Ivory Coast goes to polls
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

37 kidnap victims regain freedom in Katsina after peace deal with bandits

Published

on

No fewer than 37 people k!dnapped by bandits in Bakori Local Government Area (LGA) of Katsina have been freed by their abductors.

Vanguard reports that the lawmaker representing Bakori constituency at the State House of Assembly, Abdulrahman Kandarawa, disclosed this to newsmen in Katsina on Friday,November 28.

According to him, the victims , comprising 17 women, two children and 18 men, regained freedom following a peace deal with bandits in the area.

He explained that the kidnap victims were released without payment of ransom as part of the agreement reached during the dialogue.

The lawmaker said that with the development, “no kidnapped victim from Bakori still with the kidnappers, except if we are not aware of them.”

“I want to assure you that, at the moment, there are no more victims in the forest from this local government area.

Therefore, I am appealing to the people in our communities to maintain the relative peace we are presently enjoying.” he said.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Nigerians risk deportation as UK scraps sponsorship for over 100 skilled jobs
Continue Reading

News

PHOTOS: Three NURTW officials arrested for causing road crash that claimed nine lives in Benue

Published

on

The Benue State Police Command has arrested three officials of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, Katsina-Ala branch, over their alleged role in a crash that claimed the lives of nine passengers.

The incident occurred on Friday, November 28, at Amaafu military checkpoint along Katsina-Ala highway.

The spokesperson for the state command, DSP Udeme Edet, who disclosed this in a statement on Sunday said the NURTW officials allegedly blocked the highway, causing severe traffic disruption that triggered the fatal crash.

“Benue State Command strongly warns against the unlawful obstruction of public highways, following a tragic multiple-vehicle accident that claimed nine (9) lives and left several others injured on 28th November 2025, along Katsina-Ala highway,” the statement read.

“The accident, which occurred at about 20:15hrs, involved a MAN diesel truck with registration number TARABA ARD 967XA and multiple other vehicles, after members of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Katsina-Ala branch, allegedly blocked the highway, causing severe traffic disruption that triggered the fatal crash.

“Victims were rushed to Toro Hospital, Katsina-Ala, for treatment, while deceased bodies were deposited at the General Hospital.

“The Chairman of NURTW, Katsina-Ala branch, Aja Vanger ‘M’, along with two members, Stephen Kahungur ‘M’ and Saater Vihiga ‘M’, who allegedly caused the obstruction, have been arrested and are currently in custody.”

Edet said the suspects would be prosecuted upon completion of the investigation.

While reiterating that the command frowns upon blocking highways, Edet described such acts as “criminal offences that endanger public safety and will attract decisive legal consequences.”

See also  Tinubu hails Nigerian global English champions

The Command, therefore, urged all road users and transport operators to prioritise safety, obey traffic regulations, and avoid actions that endanger lives.

The command also expressed empathy to the affected families and assured them that the law would be enforced firmly to prevent future tragedies.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

US Spy Plane Conducts Reconnaissance Over Borno To Monitor ISWAP Under Nigeria Military Deal, Expert Says

Published

on

Asecurity expert, tracker, and a jihadi expert with special focus on the Sahel, Brant Philip, has claimed that the United States has begun conducting operations inside Nigeria as part of an agreement with the Nigerian government aimed at tackling escalating terrorism.

He stated on Saturday that a United States aircraft carried out an operation in Borno State, noting that the aircraft took off from Accra, Ghana.

“Confirming my earlier reports, a manned US ISR aircraft was conducting reconnaissance earlier today over ISWAP territory in southwestern Lake Chad, Borno State, northeast Nigeria, it originally took off from Accra, Ghana and is currently on its way back,” he wrote on X.

Earlier on Thursday, Brant had stated, “The US Department of War is already conducting reconnaissance operations in western Nigeria from their base in Ghana, without (any public) permission announced by the Nigerian government, possible agreements being signed behind closed doors.”

He further added, “According to a private source familiar with the military deal between the US and Nigeria, the US will be allowed to conduct UAV airstrikes against terrorist targets inside Nigeria, the scope only include unmanned aircrafts (UAVs), not fighter jets or bombers.

“The American counterpart will mainly fill the ISR gaps of the Nigerian army with manned and/or unmanned aircrafts, and will likely (still unconfirmed) use the Kainji Air Base in Niger State as a launchpad.”

On Sunday afternoon, he wrote again that the United States ISR aircraft had returned to spy over ISWAP’s Mantiqah Krinwa.

“The US Air Force ISR aircraft returned for the third day in a row to spy over ISWAP’s “Mantiqah Krinwa” in Borno state on the fringes of Lake Chad, northeast Nigeria, the aircraft is currently circling over the area and took off from Accra, Ghana, as usual,” he said.

See also  Alassane Ouattara tipped for fourth term as Ivory Coast goes to polls

Reacting to his posts, former presidential aide Bashir Ahmad condemned the disclosures and accused Brant of revealing sensitive information to ISWAP.

“Stop exposing this vital information to ISWAP please,” he wrote on Saturday.

Following the designation of Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern” by Donald Trump over alleged genocide against Christians, the Nigerian government rejected the label and subsequently sent a delegation to the US.

In a publication on its war website, the United States provided details of the meeting.

The statement was issued by the Assistant to the Secretary of War for Public Affairs and Senior Advisor, Sean Parnell.

“On Nov. 20, Secretary of War Pete Hegseth welcomed a delegation of security leaders from the Federal Republic of Nigeria led by their National Security Advisor, Mr. Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, to the Pentagon,” the statement said.

“Both leaders discussed ways to make tangible progress on stopping violence against Christians in Nigeria and combatting West African jihadist terrorist groups.”

“Secretary Hegseth emphasized the need for Nigeria to demonstrate commitment and take both urgent and enduring action to stop violence against Christians and conveyed the Department’s desire to work by, with, and through Nigeria to deter and degrade terrorists that threaten the United States,” it added.

Members of the Nigerian delegation included Mr. Ribadu; Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Bianca Ojukwu; Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun; Attorney-General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN); Chief of Defence Staff, Lt. Gen. Olufemi Oluyede; Chief of Defence Intelligence, Lt. Gen. E.A.P. Undiendeye; Special Adviser to the NSA, Idayat Hassan; Director of Foreign Relations, ONSA, Ibrahim Babani; Acting Chargé d’Affaires, Embassy of Nigeria, Nuru Biu; and the head of the Political and Economic Section, Embassy of Nigeria, Paul Alabi.

See also  Niger gov mourns as 35 killed in tanker explosion

Before the meeting, the US President had threatened to carry out a military operation in Nigeria to wipe out those he described as “Islamic terrorists”.

As of the time of this report, aside from Brant’s posts, neither the Nigerian government nor the United States had issued any official statement confirming a US military operation on Nigerian soil.

Trump’s threat of military action has been widely rejected by the Nigerian Presidency and has sparked controversy across the country.

Kidnapping for ransom, killings, and banditry continue to occur daily, leaving Nigerians to grapple with the widespread insecurity.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending