Connect with us

News

Doctors dispute FG’s N11.9bn payout, strike continues

Published

on

The President of the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors, Dr. Muhammad Suleiman, has faulted the Federal Government’s claim that it is releasing N11.9bn within 72 hours for the payment of outstanding arrears and allowances to doctors and other health workers across the country.

Suleiman, who spoke exclusively with The PUNCH on Sunday, said only about N500m of the said amount is meant for resident doctors.

The Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare had on Saturday announced in a statement signed by its Deputy Director and Head of Information and Public Relations, Alaba Balogun, that the government would release N11.9bn for the payment of arrears, including accoutrement allowance, as part of measures to address the welfare concerns of doctors and restore industrial harmony in the health sector.

The ministry’s statement came amid a nationwide strike by resident doctors, who on Saturday withdrew their services across 91 federal and state tertiary hospitals over unpaid arrears, delayed allowances, and other welfare-related issues.

However, reacting to the ministry’s claims, Suleiman said both the 25–35 per cent arrears and the accoutrement allowance are longstanding entitlements that date back over two years and belong to all categories of health workers, not just doctors.

“The 25–35 per cent arrears have been pending for over two years and belong to all cadres in the health sector, including those in the Ministry of Health, its agencies, and even administrative staff. The total bill for that review was supposed to be N48bn, but government said it’s N41bn. In August, they released N10bn; two weeks ago, another N10bn; and last week, N21.3bn, totaling N41bn. Out of that, the portion that goes to all doctors is about N11bn, and resident doctors get less than N10bn since we are about 60 per cent of all doctors.

See also  Gombe Commissioner seeks protection of northern water resources

“It’s only N6bn that was agreed to be released in 72 hours, not N11.9bn. I don’t know where they are bringing N11.95bn from. We don’t know any N11.9bn. What we agreed with the Federal Government is that N2.9bn will be released within 72 hours for accoutrement allowance, and even that accoutrement is for all doctors.

“Out of that N2.9bn, about N500m is coming to resident doctors. Another N2.4bn is for consultants non-clinical duty allowance, and N400m is for other health workers as COVID-19 arrears. So the total is about N6bn, not N11.9bn,” Suleiman explained.

He insisted that the accoutrement allowance was not a new intervention, but an old entitlement owed to doctors,not just resident doctors.

“Some of these arrears have been there for over two years; it’s not peculiar to doctors alone. It covers everyone in the health sector, including administrative staff,” he stated.

He accused the ministry of generalising payments to create the impression that government had met all of NARD’s demands.

“From what I know, only about N500m of what is being released affects resident doctors directly,” he noted.

On the dismissal of five doctors at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Lokoja, which the ministry said was under review by a government-appointed negotiator, Prof. Dafe Otobo, the NARD President noted that the association was not consulted and had no knowledge of the process.

“We don’t know the professor they mentioned. We don’t know the criteria he is using or the documents he has been given. Those five doctors were all union leaders. They were targeted because of their union activities,” he said.

See also  Group warns FG, claims Kanu’s detention stoking anger

He added that the association had only requested the reinstatement of the affected doctors, not litigation.

“We didn’t want to litigate the issue. We only asked the Ministry of Health to reinstate them. Even the ministry admitted that some of them were terminated without due process, yet they are talking about review again. There are more questions than answers,” Suleiman said.

He also challenged the ministry’s claim on recruitment figures, demanding transparency and accountability.

“They said 20,000 health workers were recruited last year and another 15,000 this year. They should give you the breakdown of how many are doctors, how many are nurses, and where are they now? Those are the pertinent questions.

“The ministry should address the root issues raised by the association. That press release tries to make doctors look ungrateful and greedy, as if all we want is money. But our issues go beyond financial matters. We have 19 outstanding demands, many of which are administrative and can be resolved with a single memo,” he said.

Suleiman, however, commended the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy,  Wale Edun, for his swift response to the financial aspects of the doctors’ grievances.

“I must appreciate Mr. Wale Edun. He took charge immediately, and issues on his table are being addressed. But the Ministry of Health is a different story. Their language and attitude show they’re not genuinely interested in resolving these problems,” he said.

The NARD president appealed to President Bola Tinubu to intervene in the matter.

“We are calling on the President to speak to those in the Ministry of Health. Just as he directed the Minister of Finance to handle his side of the problems, we are pleading that he ensures the health ministry genuinely engages us and resolves the issues on their table,” he added.

See also  US President Donald Trump threatens military action should k!lling of Christians continue in Nigeria

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Ship seized by US not Nigerian, not registered with us – NIMASA

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Firm bench, fiery defendant: Senior lawyers back judge’s sharp rebuke to Nnamdi Kanu

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Ship seized by US not Nigerian, not registered with us – NIMASA
Continue Reading

Trending