Connect with us

News

Voter register review begins as INEC closes registration

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission has concluded the first quarter of its nationwide Continuous Voter Registration exercise, paving the way for the public review of the voter register.

The first phase of the exercise, which began with online pre-registration on August 18, 2025, and was followed by in-person registration across all 774 local government areas and the Federal Capital Territory, formally ended on Wednesday, December 10.

The announcement was made in a statement issued on Wednesday by the commission’s Director of Voter Education and Publicity, Victoria Eta-Messi.

INEC urged all registrants, especially those who updated or transferred their voter information, to use the review period to verify their details and file any objections as needed.

The review, scheduled from December 15 to 21, 2025, will take place at local government offices across the country, in line with Section 19 of the Electoral Act 2022.

According to INEC, a total of 9,891,801 online pre-registrations were recorded nationwide by the end of the 13th week of the exercise.

“Of these, 2,572,054 registrations have been fully completed, including 1,503,832 online and 1,068,222 physical registrations as of November 28, 2025,” the statement noted.

The commission noted that registration in Anambra State and the Federal Capital Territory remains suspended due to ongoing electoral activities, with new dates to be announced later.

Eta-Messi stated, “The commission wishes to inform the public that the first quarter of this exercise will formally close on Wednesday, 10th December 2025. In line with Section 19 of the Electoral Act 2022, the commission will commence the display of the register of voters for claims and objections from 15th to 21st December 2025. The display will take place at the Local Government offices where the exercise took place.”

See also  Soyinka To Trump You Lack Understanding Of Nigeria’s Complex Security Challenges

INEC urged citizens, especially those who registered, transferred, or updated their information, to take advantage of the review period to verify details and file objections where necessary.

The second phase of the CVR is scheduled to resume on January 5, 2026, in accordance with the earlier timetable.

“In line with the earlier released timelines for the CVR exercise, the 2nd phase of the exercise will resume on January 5th, 2026.

“INEC reaffirms its commitment to maintaining a credible, inclusive, and transparent register of voters, and counts on the continued cooperation of Nigerians as we work together to strengthen our democracy,” Eta-Messi said.

In Plateau State, female voters took the lead in collecting their Permanent Voter Cards, demonstrating enthusiasm and commitment to the electoral process.

Resident Electoral Commissioner, Mallam Mohammed Abubakar Sadiq, disclosed this during a stakeholders meeting in Jos on Wednesday.

Sadiq said, “The continuous voter registration exercise commenced on August 18, 2025, with online pre-registration, followed by in-person registration on August 25. The registration and production of an accurate voter register are fundamental anchors of our electoral system.”

He added, “We have received a total of 76,451 applications over the past three months, with 25,290 new registrations completed.

“So far, female PVC collection leads with 610 cards collected compared to 394 for males. Those yet to be captured are 7,019, with 44,142 incidents and 101,200 uncollected PVCs.”

Sadiq identified incomplete registrations and uncollected PVCs as key challenges and urged registrants to use the display period from December 15 to 21 to check and correct their details.

See also  Nollywood Actor Ibrahim Chatta Loses Son

He also thanked stakeholders, including traditional rulers, local government councils, political parties, security agencies, and media, for their support in mobilizing citizens.

“The second phase of continuous voter registration will commence on January 5, 2026,” he said.

Sadiq expressed concern over the low turnout of registered voters collecting their PVCs, noting that the commission had made significant efforts to ensure that PVCs were available for collection.

Sadiq said, “We keep on mentioning to the good people of Plateau state that the owners of the  over 101,000 PVCs should come over because it will surprise you that in the last three months, only 1,004 out of over 101,000 picked up their voter cards, which represents a 0.09 per cent collection rate.

“That means that even one per cent collection we have not reached in Plateau.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Presidential Pardon: Why Maryam Sanda, 85 convicts got lesser sentences– AGF

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Lawyer petitions Chief of Air Staff over personnel’s invasion of disputed Abuja property
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Why Military Operations Alone Won’t End Boko Haram – Bishop Kukah

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending