Connect with us

News

Diezani lavished over N4bn in London luxury store – UK prosecutor

Published

on

British prosecutors on Wednesday told a London court that former Nigerian Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, lavished more than £2m (N4bn) at Harrods, allegedly using funds provided by oil executives who benefited from lucrative contracts with the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited.

The prosecution said founders of energy companies awarded major NNPC contracts also paid the running costs of Alison-Madueke’s UK residence and covered the salaries of her domestic staff.

The payments, the court heard, included wages for a housekeeper, nanny, gardener and window cleaner at the former minister’s property.

According to prosecutors, the benefits formed part of a wider pattern of inducements allegedly offered in exchange for favourable treatment on oil and gas contracts.

Alison-Madueke, a former President of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries, is standing trial at Southwark Crown Court on five counts relating to the acceptance of bribes in the form of luxury goods and the use of high-end properties owned by oil industry figures. She has pleaded not guilty to all charges, including conspiracy to commit bribery.

Jurors were told that the former minister maintained a lavish lifestyle in the United Kingdom, including the use of a personal shopper at Harrods, a service available only to Black Tier Rewards members who spend more than £10,000 annually.

Prosecutors alleged that over £2m was spent on Alison-Madueke’s behalf at the Brompton Road store, with several purchases made using payment cards linked to Kolawole Aluko and the debit card of his company, Tenka Limited.

“She was provided with a life of luxury in the United Kingdom,” the prosecutor said, adding that Alison-Madueke allegedly enjoyed the use of multimillion-pound properties, a chauffeur-driven car, private jet travel and £100,000 in cash.

See also  Actor Baba Ijesa Released From Prison After Three Years

The court was also told that about £4.6m was spent refurbishing properties in London and Buckinghamshire allegedly linked to her use.

Aluko, a petroleum and aviation magnate named in the Panama Papers, was previously investigated over allegations that he helped move millions of dollars out of Nigeria as kickbacks to Alison-Madueke. Prosecutors said he also held contracts with state-owned oil entities while seeking new ones.

“This case is about bribery in relation to the oil and gas industry in Nigeria between 2011 and 2015,” said Alexandra Healy KC, prosecuting.

“Those interested in the award and retention of lucrative oil and gas contracts provided significant financial and other advantages to Alison-Madueke.

“There is a strong public interest in ensuring that conduct in this country does not further corruption in another country,” she added.

Jurors were shown photographs of a Buckinghamshire property known as The Falls, bought in 2010 by Nigerian businessman Olajide Omokore, owner of Atlantic Energy.

The court heard that from late 2011, Alison-Madueke allegedly had exclusive use of the property, which included a cinema room, staying there several times and spending about six weeks writing a book. The costs, including about £300,000 in refurbishments, were allegedly paid by Tenka Limited.

Prosecutors further said that between May 2011 and January 2014, about £500,000 was paid in rent for two flats in central London occupied by Alison-Madueke and her mother, with company records allegedly showing that Tenka settled the bills.

Alison-Madueke is standing trial alongside oil executive Olatimbo Ayinde, 54, who faces one count of bribery relating to her and another of bribing a foreign public official.

See also  Amusan wins silver at World Athletics Championships

Her brother, Doye Agama, 69, a former archbishop, is charged with conspiracy to commit bribery and is attending the trial by video link for medical reasons.

All three defendants have denied the charges. The trial, expected to last about 12 weeks, continues.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Court grants El-Rufai N100m bail

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, in the sum of N100m over charges bordering on alleged breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, while ruling on the bail application, imposed stringent conditions for the former governor’s release.

The court held that the surety must reside in either the Maitama or Asokoro districts of Abuja and must deposit the original Certificate of Occupancy of a landed property with the court registry.

The judge further ruled that the surety must be a federal civil servant not below Grade Level 17 and must provide evidence of salary payments for at least three months, authenticated by a bank manager within the court’s jurisdiction.

Justice Abdulmalik also directed the surety to depose to an affidavit of means, enter into a bail bond and submit a recent passport photograph to the court registry.

As part of the conditions, El-Rufai was ordered to deposit all valid international passports with the court.

The court also directed the submission of a verification letter from the surety’s department, along with a tax clearance certificate covering the last six months.

In addition, the judge ordered the former governor to report to the Department of State Services headquarters on the last Friday of each month by 10 am to sign the attendance register, pending the determination of the case.

The court warned that any breach of the conditions would result in the bail being automatically revoked.

Justice Abdulmalik further ordered El-Rufai to submit a letter of attestation from the Chairman of the Kaduna Traditional Council.

See also  Retired Soldiers Threaten Fresh Protest As Tinubu Plans Generous Benefits For Sacked Service Chiefs

The bail ruling followed the arraignment of the former governor by the Department of State Services on an amended five-count charge bordering on alleged breach of national security.

The DSS had, on April 23, arraigned El-Rufai before the same court, where he pleaded not guilty to all counts.

At the proceedings, counsel for the DSS, Oluwole Aladedoye (SAN), informed the court that the prosecution had filed a further amended five-count charge on April 13 and sought to substitute the earlier three-count charge.

Count four of the amended charges marked marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, reads “That you, Mallam Nasir El Rufai, adult, male, intentionally and without authorization, intercepted the communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, as admitted by you on 13″ February, 2026, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV Station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment Act, 2024.”

Counsel to the defendant, Oluwole Iyamu (SAN), confirmed receipt of the amended charge and did not oppose the application.

The court subsequently struck out the earlier three-count charge and read the amended counts to El-Rufai, who again pleaded not guilty.

The defence had drawn the court’s attention to a pending bail application filed on February 17, noting that a further affidavit initially missing from the court file was later located during proceedings.

The DSS, however, told the court that it was not opposing the bail request.

The defence also filed an application seeking to quash the amended charge, which the prosecution urged the court to dismiss for lacking merit.

See also  Nigeria to host first African road crash victims’ conference

After hearing arguments from both parties, Justice Abdulmalik adjourned the matter for hearing before delivering the bail ruling on Monday.

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation – DHQ

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters on Monday said Nigerian troops, in collaboration with the United States Africa Command, killed more than 20 Islamic State West Africa Province fighters during fresh coordinated air strikes in the North-East.

The DHQ said the operation was carried out in the general area of Metele following intelligence reports on the convergence and movement of terrorist elements within the region.

In a statement by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. Gen. Samaila Uba, the military said the strikes formed part of sustained operations aimed at dismantling terrorist networks and denying insurgents safe haven in the country.

“The Defence Headquarters, in close coordination with United States Africa Command, wish to update the general public on the continuation of coordinated operations against ISIS militants across the North East Nigeria, with additional air strike operations successfully executed in the general area of Metele.

“Following observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements, multiple air strikes were conducted resulting in the elimination of more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters,” the statement partly read.

The military said the ongoing operations were designed to disrupt terrorist activities, remove fighters from the battlefield and prevent insurgents from regrouping.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation,” the statement added.

Uba stressed that terrorists threatening citizens and national stability would be located and defeated, saying that there would be no safe haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria.

“Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated. There will be no safe haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria,” he said.

See also  APC defends Yilwatda amidst fierce opposition over INEC ties

This is coming after the announcements by United States President Donald Trump and President Bola Tinubu confirming the killing of ISIS kingpin, Al-Minuki during a joint counterterrorism operation conducted by Nigerian and US forces.

Trump described the slain militant as the most active terrorist in the world and claimed he was the second in command of ISIS globally,” adding that the terrorist leader believed he could evade capture in Africa.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Bus knocks pedestrian dead in Ogun

Published

on

A pedestrian has lost his life after being knocked down by a Toyota Coaster bus at Imowo, along the Imowo-Ibadan Road inward Ijebu Ode in Ogun State.

PUNCH Metro gathered on Monday from the spokesperson for the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Agency, Babatunde Akinbiyi, that the fatal accident occurred at about 4:45 pm on Sunday and caused serious traffic congestion along the route due to the obstruction caused by the bus.

He noted that TRACE operatives and police officers from the Obalende Division were immediately deployed to the scene to manage traffic and rescue operations.

According to him, the accident happened when the pedestrian allegedly failed to check the other side of the road before attempting to cross.

The agency noted that there was a diversion to a single lane outward Ijebu Ode due to ongoing road rehabilitation works along the axis.

The statement read, “According to eyewitness account, the pedestrian forgot to check the other side of the road before crossing the road. There is diversion to one lane due to ongoing road rehabilitation on the axis.”

Akinbiyi added that no other injuries were recorded in the incident aside from the death of the male pedestrian.

He further disclosed that its operatives controlled vehicular movement around the scene to ease traffic congestion and prevent secondary accidents.

“TRACE operatives assisted in carrying the presumed dead into the OGSAS ambulance, while the body was subsequently conveyed to the General Hospital mortuary, Ijebu Ode,” the statement added.

The TRACE Head of Media stressed further that the accidented Toyota Coaster bus was later evacuated from the road and moved to the Police Area Command, Igbeba, for further investigation.

See also  Africa exposed to Middle East war – Experts

The agency confirmed that normal vehicular movement had been restored after the evacuation exercise.

PUNCH Metro reported earlier that an auto crash along the Third Mainland Bridge left a policeman riding on a motorcycle, dead after being hit by a Lexus car.

The driver of the car was said to have surrendered himself to the police following the incident.

Continue Reading

Trending