Connect with us

News

Hundreds feared dead in devastating Sudan landslide

Published

on

Sudanese authorities, the United Nations and aid groups scrambled Tuesday to respond to a devastating landslide in Sudan’s Darfur region that buried an entire mountain village, killing hundreds of people.

Heavy rain triggered the disaster on Sunday, flattening the village of Tarasin in the remote Jebel Marra range, the rebel Sudan Liberation Movement/Army faction which controls the area said.

UN humanitarian coordinator in Sudan Luca Renda said in a statement that “the United Nations and our humanitarian partners are mobilising to provide support to the affected population”.

Citing sources on the ground, Renda said the death toll from the landslide was believed to be between 300 and 1,000.

UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said the full scale of the disaster remains unclear “as the impacted area is extremely hard to reach”.

The SLM faction, led by Abdulwahid al-Nur, had earlier estimated the death toll at more than 1,000 people, with only one survivor.

That survivor, according to his nephew Fath al-Rahman Ali Abdelnour, suffered multiple fractures to both legs and a serious head injury.

“He is in a coma and unable to speak,” Abdelnour told AFP from the Ugandan capital of Kampala where he lives.

Abdelnour, whose father had founded Tarasin in the 1980s, said that in addition to longtime residents, the village has also hosted around 450 people displaced by Sudan’s ongoing war between the army and rival paramilitaries.

The war, which began in April 2023, has ravaged Sudan, killing tens of thousands of people and driving millions from their homes, according to UN figures.

See also  States on high alert as Adamawa flood death toll rises

-‘Masses of mud’ –

SLM leader Nur told AFP via a messaging app that “masses of mud fell onto the village.”

“Our humanitarian teams and local residents are trying to retrieve the bodies, but the scale of the disaster is far greater than the resources available to us,” he said.

Images the SLM published on its website appeared to show vast swathes of the mountainside sheared away, with the village below buried under thick mud and uprooted trees.

The African Union called on “all Sudanese stakeholders to silence the guns and unite in facilitating the swift and effective delivery of emergency humanitarian assistance.”

On Monday, both the army-aligned government and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces called for humanitarian mobilisation in response to the disaster, but neither mentioned any potential ceasefire.

The SLM controls parts of the Jebel Marra range and has mostly stayed out of the war.

Hundreds of thousands of people have fled into SLM-held territory to escape the violence.

Jebel Marra is a rugged volcanic range stretching about 160 kilometres (100 miles) southwest from North Darfur’s besieged state capital El-Fasher, which the RSF is pushing to capture after besieging it for more than a year.

The area, known for citrus production, is prone to landslides, particularly during the rainy season which peaks in August. A 2018 landslide in nearby Toukoli killed at least 20 people.

-‘Painful disaster’ –

The Transitional Sovereignty Council of army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan pledged to mobilise all available resources to support those affected by what it described as a “painful disaster”.

See also  Court frees 13 inmates unlawfully detained in Taraba, awards N448m damages

The paramilitary-backed rival government based in South Darfur state capital Nyala has issued a statement announcing aid efforts.

Mohamed Hassan al-Taayshi, the prime minister recently sworn in by RSF commander Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, expressed deep sorrow, saying he had spoken directly with SLM leader Nur to assess needs on the ground.

“The lives and safety of Sudanese citizens are above any political or military considerations,” Taayshi said.

Much of Darfur — including the area where the landslide occurred — remains inaccessible to international aid organisations due to ongoing fighting, severely limiting the delivery of emergency relief.

The disaster also comes during Sudan’s rainy season, which often renders mountain roads impassable.

In Sudan’s main war zones like Darfur, infrastructure was already fragile after more than two years of fighting.

On Tuesday the army-aligned government, based in Port Sudan on the Rea Sea, announced that it would extend through the end of the year a decision to open the Adre border crossing with Chad — a critical lifeline for humanitarian aid.

The move “coincides with the disaster in Tarasin”, the Sudanese foreign ministry said in a statement.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Ooni Is Too Focused On Important Issues, Has Not Appointed Anyone As Okanlomo Of Yorubaland – Oore Of Moba

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  VIDEO: ‘Militants killed 7 of my brothers, 150 members, burnt down my church’ – Plateau Pastor alleges

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  VIDEO: ‘Militants killed 7 of my brothers, 150 members, burnt down my church’ – Plateau Pastor alleges
Continue Reading

Trending