President Bola Tinubu on Thursday commenced a 10-day vacation as part of his 2025 annual leave, the Presidency announced.
According to a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the President will spend the 10-working-day vacation between France and the United Kingdom, after which he will return to Nigeria.
Onanuga said, “President Bola Ahmed Tinubu will depart Abuja today, September 4, to commence a working vacation in Europe, as part of his 2025 annual leave.
“The vacation will last 10 working days.
“President Tinubu will spend the period between France and the UK and then return to the country.”
Photo: Bayo OnanugaPhoto: Bayo Onanuga
However, the statement made no mention of Tinubu transmitting a formal letter to the National Assembly, as required under Section 145(1) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), to enable Vice President Kashim Shettima to act in his absence. Both chambers of the Assembly are currently on recess.
Photo: Bayo Onanuga
In October 2024, he spent over two weeks in the UK and France on a similar “working vacation” without a formal handover.
Since assuming office in May 2023, Tinubu has become one of Nigeria’s most travelled leaders.
It was reported in October 2024 that in his first 17 months in office, Tinubu and Vice President Shettima undertook 41 trips across 26 countries, collectively spending 180 days abroad. Specifically, Tinubu logged 124 days abroad, visiting 16 countries on 29 trips.
His most recent foreign engagement was in Brazil in August 2025, where he met President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva. Both countries signed agreements on trade, aviation, energy, and security cooperation, including talks to restore Petrobras’ operations in Nigeria and establish a Lagos–São Paulo direct air link.
Earlier trips have taken him to the United States, France, the United Kingdom, China, South Africa, Germany, Tanzania, and the United Arab Emirates, among others, where he canvassed for foreign investment and political support.
In January 2025, Tinubu attended the Africa Heads of State Energy Summit in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, focusing on energy cooperation.
In May 2025, he travelled to Rome, Italy, to attend the inauguration of Pope Leo XIV, a ceremonial visit. In June–July 2025, he visited Saint Lucia for a state visit to strengthen ties with Caribbean nations.
In June–July 2025, he travelled to Brazil for a state visit to enhance cooperation in trade and agriculture.
In August 2025, he attended the inauguration of President John Dramani Mahama in Ghana, a diplomatic visit. In August 2025, he made a brief stopover in the UAE, likely Dubai, en route to Japan.
In August 2025, he attended the Ninth Tokyo International Conference on African Development in Yokohama, Japan, for investment and bilateral ties. In August 2025, he returned to Brazil for a second state visit to advance agriculture and aviation agreements.
Critics argue that while the trips project Nigeria’s presence on the global stage, they have yet to yield tangible economic relief for citizens battling high inflation, insecurity, and declining living standards.
The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security
LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.
The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”
The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.
The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.
One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.
“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.
The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.
He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.
Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.
He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.
The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.
The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.
The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.
Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.
The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.
Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.
The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”
He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.
The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.
He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.
The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.
Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.
He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.
He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.
Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.
He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.
Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.
“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.
Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.
She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.
The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.
Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.
He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.