Connect with us

News

Fubara’s men absent at gov’s reunion with Wike

Published

on

Signs of a renewed reconciliation between Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his political mentor, now Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, appear to be emerging, following a high-level meeting of key political stakeholders in Port Harcourt.

The closed-door meeting, held on Saturday night, brought together Fubara, Wike, members of the Rivers Elders and Leaders Council, the leadership of the state House of Assembly, and several prominent politicians loyal to the FCT Minister, including members of the Rivers National Assembly caucus.

Although details remained sketchy as of the time of filing this report, sources said the meeting was convened at the instance of the  Chairman of the Rivers Elders and Leaders Council, Chief Ferdinand Alabraba.

However, concerns have surfaced over the absence of Fubara’s loyalists, marking the second time such a peace gathering was reportedly dominated by Wike’s camp.

Governor Fubara returned to office on September 18, following the suspension of the six-month emergency rule in the state and the exit of Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (retd.), who served as State Administrator under President Bola Tinubu.

Since his reinstatement, the governor has dissolved the Rivers State Pensions Board and the state Microfinance Agency, both reconstituted during Ibas’s administration.

Among those present at the Saturday meeting were Wike, Fubara, Alabraba, Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, Martin Amaewhule, Deputy Speaker, Dumle Maol, House Leader, Major Jack, and Senate caucus leader, Senator Barry Mpigi.

Also in attendance were former and serving lawmakers, including Senators Magnus Abe, George Sekibo, Olaka Nwogu, Wilson Ake, Felix Nwaeke (Tai/Oyigbo Federal Constituency), and Kelechi Nwogu (Etche/Omuma Federal Constituency).

See also  Lagos plaza death toll hits five as fire razes another market

Other attendees included former NBA President Onueze Okocha (SAN); elder statesman and monarch Chief Sergent Awuse; former Attorneys-General Prof. Zacchaeus Adangor (SAN), Frank Owhor, Ken Chikere, and Worgu Boms; APC Deputy National Vice Chairman (South-South) Chief Victor Giadom; Rivers PDP Chairman Chief Chukwuemeka Aaron; and former Environment Minister Udi Odum.

Also present were Elder Chidi Wihioka, Dr. Chinyere Igwe, Pro-Chancellor, Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Ikuinyi Ibani; Executive Director, Finance and Administration, NDDC, Chief Boma Iyaye;, Chief Marcus Nle Eji, Prof. Ogiri, Chief Chukwuemeka Woke, Dr. Sampson Parker, Dr. Fred Kpakol, and Chief Felix Obuah, among others.

Although the exact agenda was not disclosed, sources close to the meeting said it focused on reconciling Wike’s loyalists with Governor Fubara and fostering cooperation between both camps.

Recall that on September 19, when Fubara returned to the state after his reinstatement, neither members of the State Assembly, local government chairmen, nor known Wike loyalists were at the Port Harcourt International Airport to receive him.

Similarly, during the Independence Thanksgiving Service at St. Paul’s Cathedral, Garrison, last Sunday, most of the figures who attended Saturday’s meeting were noticeably absent.

Last week, the governor officially sacked all commissioners and public office holders affected by the Supreme Court judgment that recognised Martin Amaewhule as the authentic Speaker of the State Assembly.

The judgment invalidated the appointments of those screened by the faction led by Victor Oko-Jumbo, a Fubara ally.

A Fubara loyalist, who spoke to The PUNCH on condition of anonymity, expressed reservations about the meeting, describing it as one-sided.

See also  Abia inaugurates health centre, 31 buildings donated by indigene

“It’s like what happened during the emergency rule when we saw pictures of the governor, the FCT Minister, and Martin Amaewhule with President Tinubu in Aso Rock claiming reconciliation,” the source said.“Now again, it’s the same faces, known loyalists of the FCT Minister. Where are elders like Chief Rufus Ada-George, Dr. Gabriel Toby, or High Chief Anabs Sara-Igbe, who stood by the governor? If this is reconciliation, it should be sincere and inclusive.”

However, a Wike loyalist, who also pleaded anonymity, defended the meeting, insisting it was meant to “bring the governor back to his political roots.”

“Politics is about loyalty. What you’re seeing is the governor returning to his original family. These are the same people who stood with Wike when he nominated Fubara in 2023. Many of those now complaining were not even part of the process.”

Following what appeared to be a harmonisation meeting, sources hinted that Governor Fubara may soon submit a list of commissioner-nominees to the Rivers State House of Assembly for screening and confirmation.

Meanwhile, the Rivers Peace Initiative has appealed for patience and trust in the ongoing peace efforts, describing them as a critical step toward lasting stability.

In a statement issued in Port Harcourt on Sunday, the group’s convener, Obinna Ebogidi, lauded the renewed dialogue among political and community leaders, urging all parties to protect rather than politicise the reconciliation process.

“Peacebuilding is a process that begins in phases, building confidence, establishing mutual respect, and preparing the ground for broader participation,” the statement read.

“What matters most is that the conversation has started again, and that leaders are finding the courage to meet, talk, and seek common ground.”

See also  Protest in Kaduna over Dangote–PENGASSAN face-off

Ebogidi urged stakeholders, political actors, and citizens to exercise restraint, adding:

“No one wins in a divided Rivers State. Everyone stands to gain from a peaceful, stable, and prosperous state where governance and development can thrive again,”he said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Okpebholo directs Edo cabinet members to wear Tinubu-branded outfits

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Abia inaugurates health centre, 31 buildings donated by indigene

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Abia inaugurates health centre, 31 buildings donated by indigene
Continue Reading

Trending