Connect with us

News

FCT infrastructure boom reflects Tinubu’s vision for Abuja – Wike

Published

on

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mr Nyesom Wike, has described the ongoing infrastructural development in the FCT as a “fulfilment of President Bola Tinubu’s vision” for the nation’s capital.

Wike said this on Monday, while inaugurating the construction of Mohammed Isa Road Extension in Asokoro District, Abuja.

He faulted critics who claimed that Tinubu was not working, saying, “You cannot say FCT is working and Mr President is not working. It doesn’t make sense.

“He is working through us. We carry out the directive; we carry out instructions; and we carry out the vision of Mr President, and one of the visions is that FCT must compete favourably with other cities of the world. That is what we are doing”.

The minister urged Nigerians to be truthful to themselves, stressing that if the ongoing infrastructural developments had been done before now, the Tinubu administration would have channelled the resources to other things.

The minister pointed out that the way Abuja was two years ago is not the way it is today, assuring that it would not be the same tomorrow.

He appealed for continued support to the present administration, noting that Tinubu had demonstrated leadership and commitment to change the lives of Nigerians.

Wike explained that the ongoing massive investment in schools’ rehabilitation and other interventions in transport and other sectors was to ensure balanced development across the FCT.

“We have touched transport, we have touched roads, we have touched sports, we have touched education, and now we are touching the health sector.

“I assure you, no sector will be left untouched. All we need to do is just to be patient, and to be patient means to give us time,” he said.

See also  Step-by-step guide for contactless passport renewal for Nigerians abroad

The minister, however, pointed out that all planned development efforts largely depend on the availability of resources and urged residents to support the administration by paying their taxes.

“All these good roads, good drainage system, and the streetlights wouldn’t be possible if you didn’t pay taxes.

“Try and pay your taxes so we can provide more of these roads, connect the drainages and keep our environment clean,” he said.

Wike is officially a member of the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party, although he serves in the APC administration of Tinubu.

He has been accused of deliberately sabotaging the PDP to the benefit of the Tinubu administration, but has always maintained that he is a loyal member and benefactor of the PDP.

Tinubu had, in June, hinted at the likelihood of the FCT minister’s defection, but he has repeatedly vowed never to leave the PDP, despite serving in the APC administration.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  DHQ clarifies delay in soldiers’ allowances, cites system glitches

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  DHQ clarifies delay in soldiers’ allowances, cites system glitches
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  DHQ clarifies delay in soldiers’ allowances, cites system glitches

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending