Connect with us

News

Fubara swears in SSG, cautions against power abuse

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, on Monday, swore in  Benibo Anabraba as the new Secretary to the State Government, urging him to discharge his duties honourably and avoid abuse of power.

Anabraba’s appointment marked the first major appointment by Funara since his reinstatement following the lifting of the six-month emergency rule declared by President Bola Tinubu on September 18.

Anabraba, a former Minority Leader in the Rivers State House of Assembly on the platform of the All Progressives Congress, also previously served as Commissioner for Housing under the incumbent administration. He was among those screened by the former factional Speaker of the State Assembly loyal to the governor, Victor Oko-Jumbo.

While congratulating the new SSG, Fubara described the appointment as an act of divine favour.

He said, “So, I use the word ‘congratulations’ because this position you just got can only be God’s. My charge is very simple — God has brought you in at this particular time to be the Secretary to the Government of Rivers State.

“It’s a real opportunity. We can count the number of SSGs from the inception of Rivers State, but you can’t count the number of commissioners — they are too many. So, it’s a position of honour.

“I want you to guard that office with honour, discharge your duty with respect, and protect the interests of Rivers State. When you leave office, I want you to leave with honour, and you can only do so when you discharge your duty responsibly.”

The governor expressed confidence in Anabraba’s ability to perform, noting his past record of service.

See also  Seyi Tinubu Storms Alaafin’s Palace For Installation As ‘Okanlomo of Yorubaland’

“I have no doubt that you’re going to perform well,” Fubara said. “I know you were a former member of the Rivers State House of Assembly. In fact, you were a principal officer at that time — I think Minority Leader. You were also one of my commissioners, and I knew, within the period we worked together, that you did well.

“You’re a very dedicated person. So this opportunity is not an opportunity to show power. It’s not an opportunity to say, ‘Because I have a big office, I can do as I please.’ It’s a call to duty.

“We’re coming from a very, very bad position. We really need to reassure the people of Rivers State that we mean well for them — especially now that peace has returned to the state. So please, by the grace of God, do your work very well to help us succeed in this assignment that God Almighty has given to us,” the governor added.

Our correspondent reports that Fubara’s return to the governorship has coincided with a flurry of administrative changes as the governor consolidates his team.

The appointment follows Fubara’s reinstatement after months of political and legal turbulence that led to his suspension under the emergency rule declared by President Tinubu.

Tinubu had, on March 18, 2025, declared a state of emergency in Rivers State, suspending the governor, his deputy, and members of the House of Assembly. He cited the prolonged political crisis between Fubara and his predecessor and political benefactor, Nyesom Wike, as the reason for the drastic measure.

In Fubara’s place, the President appointed retired Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas as Sole Administrator, with a mandate to restore political stability in the state.

See also  IGP orders investigation into KWAM1’s airport incident

Upon assumption of office, Ibas suspended all commissioners, special advisers, and assistants appointed by Fubara. He also dissolved boards and suspended heads of parastatals he met in office.

Since Ibas exited the state on September 18, the fate of Fubara’s appointees had remained uncertain. The Rivers State House of Assembly, at its first sitting after the lifting of the emergency rule, called on the governor to submit a fresh list of commissioner-nominees for screening, alongside the 2025 budget for passage.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  IGP orders investigation into KWAM1’s airport incident

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Emir of Zuru, Muhammadu Sani Sami, D!es In London Hospital

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Seyi Tinubu Storms Alaafin’s Palace For Installation As ‘Okanlomo of Yorubaland’
Continue Reading

Trending