Connect with us

News

FRSC introduces contactless driver’s license system

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps has announced the introduction of a contactless biometric capture system for driver’s licence issuance, marking a significant shift toward digitalisation in Nigeria’s motor vehicle administration.

The development came as the Corps launches its 2025 Ember Months Road Safety Campaign aimed at reducing road accidents during the busy festive period.

The campaign, launched on Monday in Abuja, is themed “Tech Responsibility for Your Safety: Stop Distracted Driving.” It targets dangerous driving behaviors often linked to increased crashes between December 15 and January 15.

Speaking during the flag-off, Corps Marshal Shehu Mohammed said the new licence system would not only eliminate delays but also remove the need for temporary documents.

“We have activated plans to overcome the perennial challenges associated with delays in obtaining the driver’s license and number plates. Our printing facility has been upgraded to print an average of 15,000 driver’s licenses daily.

“This production average will be increased to clear the backlog before the second week of November 2025,” the Corps Marshal noted.

Mohammed added, “We are also about to commence the contactless biometric capture with on-spot printing of the license, which will eliminate temporary licenses, thereby signaling the beginning of a digitalized one-stop-shop for processing driver’s licenses.

“With this development, it is expected that delays and other challenges related to the national driver’s license will be history.”

The corps marshal explained that the new system was developed in consultation with relevant stakeholders, including state governments, noting that licensing falls under a concurrent legislative list.

See also  Pope plans trip to Africa, starting with Algeria

“Globally, we have seen how a driver’s licence has been obtained. As soon as you come, you get the driver’s license. What matters is the comprehensive data, the adequate data that will be stored for usage at any given time,” he said.

He further explained that the system would fully integrate existing driving schools, Vehicle Inspection Office, and certification processes, but with a faster and streamlined approach.

“We are almost through with the process. It is no longer going to be the process of putting hands on the biometric. This one is a contactless biometric. It doesn’t take time, and also, it captures all the essence required,” he said.

According to him, the entire process, from application to licence issuance, will become immediate upon capture.

“Once you reach the point of capture, you get captured and you get your driver’s licence instantly. There is no longer going to be a temporary driver’s licence. There’s no longer going to be two weeks, one month, six months, one year before you get your driver’s licence,” Mohammed stated.

He said the new process is also synchronised with the National Identification Number database, ensuring data consistency and seamless identity verification.

He described the new contactless fingerprint system as “seamless,” saying it allows biometric data to be captured without physical contact, using advanced technology that reads fingerprints from a short distance.

The FRSC has also enhanced its cooperation with state governments and agencies such as the VIO and state revenue boards to ensure seamless implementation of the new system nationwide.

See also  Health ministry orders immediate retirement of longstanding directors

During a press tour of the FRSC’s Driver’s Licence Print Farm on Monday, Deputy Corps Marshal in charge of Motor Vehicle Administration, Aliyu Datsama, confirmed that the contactless system is already operational and will be rolled out across the country, including Lagos.

Crucially, Datsama disclosed that the Corps had been dealing with a massive “backlog of 800,000 unprocessed driver’s licences, which has now been reduced to 400,000.”

“We are now working 24/7 to clear the remaining backlog.

“Our current daily production capacity is 40,000 licences, and by the grace of God, we will clear everything in the next few weeks,” he stated.

He also urged Nigerians who have already completed capture to check and collect their licences, noting that “over 206,000 licences remain unclaimed across various states.”

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Soludo closes Onitsha market for one week, see why

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Soludo closes Onitsha market for one week, see why

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Gumi Speaks On Call To Arrest Him Over His Statements On Banditry
Continue Reading

Trending