Connect with us

News

Omokri mum as ex-US mayor alleges manipulation

Published

on

A former mayor of Blanco City in Texas, United States of America, Mike Arnold, has accused former presidential aide, Reno Omokri ,of manipulation and dishonesty, alleging that he took inconsistent positions on sensitive issues.

Arnold, who spoke following his recent visit to Nigeria, said Omokri’s change of stance on the alleged Christian genocide in the northern part of the country showed a lack of integrity and credibility.

He said, “Reno clearly just says whatever he is paid to say. He obviously has zero integrity. If he could go from one administration yelling and trying to get the world’s attention to the Christian genocide in the North, and then in the next administration, he calls it a hoax, I don’t think anybody should ever take that man seriously. He didn’t refute his previous claims; he just ignored them as if he never said that. Clearly, he is just a prostitute of rhetoric.”

The former mayor accused Omokri of exploiting their friendship for publicity rather than genuine advocacy, alleging that he was only cultivated as a “PR asset.”

“There is a higher standard for a friend. I knew from the beginning he was cultivating me as a PR asset. He never was concerned about what I cared about. He was cultivating me so that he could quote me as a prominent mayor. I felt God was leading me and that I had a date with destiny, but he is a manipulator, and that is what he does for a living,” he added.

Recounting how their relationship began, Arnold said it started in December 2023 after he reached out to Omokri through his website, having read one of his books on Goodluck Jonathan’s administration.

See also  Jigawa welcomes collaboration to empower vulnerable women

According to him, Omokri immediately responded through WhatsApp, and the two later had a video call where he (Arnold) explained his research work on internally displaced persons and efforts to raise awareness about the alleged genocide in the country.

He claimed that during their first conversation, Omokri invited him to Kenya to attend his birthday celebration, promising that Jonathan and other prominent figures would be in attendance.

“That was a lie. Goodluck Jonathan was not there. He offered to pay my way but ended up paying only half of the airfare,” Arnold stated.

He also addressed the viral image of him presenting a “key to the city” to Omokri, describing it as a non-official gesture and not an act of the Blanco City government.

“That was a souvenir key from a gift shop. It doesn’t have anything to do with the city; it was not official. The position of mayor is voluntary, and my town is a very small one. That was not an official act as a mayor; that was me as a birthday guest presenting a gift. You can order one tomorrow. Nothing is official or legal about the presentation of the cheap key.”

In a video posted by Omokri on his X (formerly Twitter) handle on January 22, 2024, Arnold was seen presenting the symbolic key while addressing guests at the birthday event.

In the clip, Arnold said, “In your contribution to humanity, making the world a better place, it is my profound honour to give you a key to the City of Blanco as the mayor of the city. You have friends in Texas. You now own Texas.”

See also  PDP Reps caucus backs party’s resolutions for 2027 elections

Those present at the event included former governor of Cross River State Donald Duke; former senator and media entrepreneur Ben Murray-Bruce; veteran gospel musician Bishop Pana Paul; Nollywood actor Wale Ojo; and several other friends and relatives of Omokri.

Arnold, who said he had been conducting research in Nigeria since 2010, maintained that his interest in the country stems from a desire to expose what he described as “systematic attacks against Christians” in parts of the North.

The fresh controversy on the alleged Christian genocide has again sparked public debate on whether the ongoing violence in parts of the country is indeed targeted at Christians.

Omokri, who once raised global awareness about religious killings, has in recent years dismissed such claims as exaggerated or politically motivated.

Human rights organisations, including some international Christian groups, have insisted that the violence meets the definition of genocide, citing thousands of deaths, mass displacements, and targeted attacks on churches.

Others, however, argued that the crisis is driven more by terrorism, banditry, and communal clashes than by religious motives.

When contacted by Saturday PUNCH via WhatsApp for his reaction to the allegations, Omokri declined to comment.

As of the time of filing this report, Omokri had yet to issue any statement regarding Arnold’s claims.

His silence is unusual for someone known for quick rebuttals on social and political controversies.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Christianity facing existential threat in Nigeria, Trump insists

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Tinubu, US AFRICOM chief hold security talks in Abuja

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Resident doctors give FG fresh 24-hour ultimatum
Continue Reading

Trending