Connect with us

News

N’Assembly approves Tinubu’s ₦1.15tn domestic loan proposal

Published

on

The National Assembly on Wednesday approved President Bola Tinubu’s request to borrow N1.15tn from the domestic debt market to finance the 2025 budget deficit, completing the government’s fiscal funding plan.

Both the Senate and the House of Representatives approved the President’s request to raise N1.15tn from the domestic debt market to finance the remaining shortfall in the 2025 national budget.

At the Senate, the approval followed the consideration and adoption of a report presented by the Senate Committee on Local and Foreign Debt during plenary.

The committee, chaired by Senator Wamakko Magatarkada Aliyu (APC, Sokoto North), explained that the 2025 Appropriation Act provides for total expenditure of N59.99tn — an increase of N5.25tn from the initial N54.74tn proposed by the Executive.

This expansion, the committee said, created a total budget deficit of N14.10tn, out of which N12.95tn had already been approved for borrowing. The newly approved N1.15tn, representing the unfunded portion, will now complete the government’s deficit financing plan for the fiscal year.

Tinubu, in a letter read on the Senate floor last week, had sought legislative approval to borrow the additional N1.15tn, saying the facility was necessary “to bridge the funding gap and ensure the full implementation of government programmes and projects under the 2025 fiscal plan.”

In adopting the report, the Senate also approved a motion sponsored by Senator Abdul Ningi (PDP, Bauchi Central), mandating the Committee on Appropriations to intensify oversight to ensure that the borrowed funds are strictly applied to the purposes outlined in the budget.

See also  #FreeNnamdiKanu: Protest wave hits Abuja, paralyses S’East states

The approval marks the latest in a series of borrowing measures by the Tinubu administration to sustain budget implementation amid shrinking fiscal space. Two weeks ago, the upper chamber endorsed another presidential request for an external borrowing package worth $2.847bn — including a debut $500m Sovereign Sukuk — to fund key infrastructure projects and refinance maturing Eurobonds.

According to the Senate Committee on Local and Foreign Debt, $2.347bn of that amount will be raised from the international capital market, while the remaining $500m will come through Sukuk bonds to support the 2025 fiscal framework.

Presenting that report, Senator Wamakko had justified the borrowing as “essential for Nigeria’s economic stability and to ensure that the country meets its 2025 funding needs without derailing ongoing fiscal commitments.”

The Chairman of the Senate Committee on Finance, Senator Sani Musa (APC, Niger East), similarly argued that legislative approval for the domestic loan was “very necessary so that the 2025 appropriation will be given the necessary funding.”

Corroborating this view, the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Banking, Insurance and Other Financial Institutions, Senator Adetokunbo Abiru (APC, Lagos East), explained that the borrowing would not worsen Nigeria’s debt profile since it had already been captured as part of the 2025 deficit financing.

“This is more of a compliance issue because the 2025 Appropriation Act has already captured it as part of the deficit financing. The second request is a refinancing arrangement to ensure that the country does not default in Eurobond servicing,” Abiru said.

Also contributing, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Interior, Senator Adams Oshiomhole (APC, Edo North), defended the administration’s borrowing approach, stressing that “there’s nothing wrong with borrowing if it is properly structured and used to address critical issues like unemployment and infrastructural decay.”

See also  PHOTOS: US arrests nine illegal immigrants from Africa during raid of NYC’s Chinatown

The Senate’s latest approval comes amid mounting public concern over Nigeria’s rising debt profile, which the Debt Management Office pegged at over N152.40tn as of mid-2025.

While critics warn that continued borrowing could push the country toward unsustainable debt levels, government officials and lawmakers insist that strategic loans remain vital for financing infrastructure, sustaining growth, and maintaining investor confidence.

Similarly, the House of Representatives approved Tinubu’s request to borrow N1.15tn to finance the 2025 budget deficit arising from the recent increase in the national budget size beyond earlier approved revenue and borrowing projections.

The approval followed the consideration and adoption of the report of the House Committee on Aids, Loans, and Debt Management during plenary on Wednesday.

Presenting the report, the Committee Chairman, Abubakar Nalaraba (APC, Nasarawa), urged the House in the Committee of Supply to approve “the sum of N1.15tn as a borrowing programme in the domestic debt market to close the unfunded deficit gap created by the increase in the budget size, over and above the prior approved revenue and borrowing plans.”

Tinubu had earlier made the request in a letter addressed to the Speaker of the House, Tajudeen Abbas, and read on the floor last week by Deputy Speaker Benjamin Kalu, who presided in the Speaker’s absence. The President, in the letter, explained that the additional borrowing was necessary to balance the 2025 budget in line with the Fiscal Responsibility Act (FRA), 2007.

“I write to kindly request the approval of the National Assembly to establish a N1.15tn borrowing programme in the domestic debt market to close the unfunded deficit gap created by the increase in the budget size,” Tinubu stated.

See also  2025 budget - Ministries in dilemma as Accountant-General suspends fund requests

He noted that the National Assembly had passed a N59.99tn budget — an upward review of N5.25tn from the N54.74tn proposal initially submitted by the Executive — thereby widening the deficit to N14.10tn.

“However, the borrowing provision approved in the budget was N12.95tn, leaving an unfunded deficit of N1,147,462,863,321.39. It is, therefore, necessary to increase the domestic borrowing limit in the 2025 budget by this amount to close the gap,” the letter added.

Citing Sections 44(1) and (2) of the Fiscal Responsibility Act, 2007, Tinubu stressed that all new borrowings by the Federal Government require the approval of the National Assembly.

Following deliberations, the House granted the request, paving the way for the Federal Government to raise the additional N1.15tn from the domestic debt market.

The PUNCH had exclusively reported on Wednesday that lawmakers failed to consider a single item on Tuesday’s Order Paper, expressing displeasure over the poor implementation of the capital components of the 2025 budget. As a result, no plenary was held on Tuesday.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Explosion alleged in Abia building collapse, lawyer urges expanded probe

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Tinubu axes two N’Assembly bills over policy clash

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Counter-insurgency campaigns: US votes $413m for security operations in Nigeria, others
Continue Reading

Trending