Connect with us

News

France moves to end law that punishes women for refusing s£x in marriage

Published

on

France is to enshrine in law the end of so-called “conjugal rights” – the notion that marriage means a duty to have sex.

A bill approved on Wednesday in the National Assembly adds a clause to the country’s civil code to make clear that “community of living” does not create an “obligation for sexual relations”.

The proposed law also makes it impossible to use lack of sexual relations as an argument in fault-based divorce.

Though unlikely to have a major impact in the courts, supporters hope the law will help deter marital rape.

“By allowing such a right or duty to persist, we are collectively giving our approval to a system of domination and predation by husband on wife,” said the bill’s sponsor, Green MP Marie-Charlotte Garin.

“Marriage cannot be a bubble in which consent to sex is regarded as definitive and for life.”

The law will erase an ambiguity that has persisted despite there being no explicit mention of “conjugal duty” in any legal text.

Currently, the French civil code defines the duties of marriage as “respect, fidelity, support and assistance,” and it says that couples commit themselves to a “community of living”.

Nowhere in the texts is there any mention of “conjugal” – ie sexual – rights. The origins of that notion lie in medieval church law.

However judges in modern divorce suits have, from time to time, given a broad interpretation to the concept of “community of living” to include sexual relations.

In a famous case in 2019 a woman was found to have withheld sex from her husband for several years, and he was then granted a “fault-based” divorce implying guilt on her part.

See also  Alleged Alterations: No Amount Of Opposition Pushback Will Stop Implementation Of Tax Law – Presidency

But the woman then took her case to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), which last year condemned France for allowing refusal of sex to be grounds for a fault-based divorce.

This was hailed as an important advance by feminist campaigners.

The ECHR’s decision has made it, in practice, impossible for any French divorce judge to make a similar ruling – which is why the new law is mainly intended as a clarification, with the change unlikely to have a major impact on the courts.

For campaigners, the notion that wives have a “duty” to agree to sex with their husbands is one that persists in parts of society and needs to be confronted.

The Mazan trial of 2024 – where a drugged and unconscious Gisèle Pelicot was repeatedly raped by men invited by her husband – is seen as emblematic. Several defendants said they assumed her consent because of what her husband had told them.

In France, as in most other countries, marital rape is now enshrined in law, where prior to 1990 men could argue that marriage implied consent.

Since November last year the legal definition of rape in France has also been expanded to include the notion of non-consent.

Previously, rape was defined as a sexual act carried out with “violence, constraint, threat or surprise”. Now it is any act where there is no “informed, specific, anterior and revocable” consent. Silence or an absence of reaction do not imply consent, the law says.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Russia, AU Tell US To Respect Nigeria’s Sovereignty Amid Talk Of Possible Military Action

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  2027 polls won’t be 100% perfect, INEC chair warns
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Alleged Alterations: No Amount Of Opposition Pushback Will Stop Implementation Of Tax Law – Presidency

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending