Connect with us

News

Sanwo-Olu presents N4.2tn 2026 Lagos budget

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Tuesday presented a proposed N4.237tn budget for the 2026 fiscal year to the state House of Assembly, with the House vowing to meticulously scrutinise the proposal.

Security was heightened within and around the Assembly complex, with officers from the police, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, and the Lagos State Neighbourhood Safety Corps stationed at major entry points.

Members of the state executive council, local government officials, traditional rulers, and other invited guests attended the session, which was presided over by the Speaker, Mudashiru Obasa.

Sanwo-Olu began his presentation of the budget, tagged “Budget of Shared Prosperity,” at about 1.25 p.m.

The proposed budget has a total size of N4,237,107,009,308. It consists of total revenue of N3,993,774,552,141 and deficit financing of N243,332,457,167. The revenue is made up of Internally Generated Revenue of N3,119,774,552,141 and federal transfers of N874,000,000,000.

For expenditure, the government is proposing capital expenditure of N2,185,085,419,495 and recurrent expenditure of N2,052,021,589,812.

The recurrent expenditure, which covers overheads, personnel costs, and debt services, includes a total overhead cost of N1,084,245,843,091. Personnel and debt obligations consist of a total personnel cost of N440,494,339,384, recurrent debt charges of N143,876,701,943, and debt repayments of N383,404,705,394.

Sectoral allocations for the year include N847,472,071,966 for General Public Services, N147,040,088,897 for Public Order and Safety, N1,372,307,808,626 for Economic Affairs, N235,957,235,138 for Environment, N123,760,310,429 for Housing, N338,449,258,945 for Health, N54,682,339,586 for Recreation, N249,132,921,287 for Education, and N70,024,171,038 for Social Protection.

During the address before the 40-member House, the governor emphasised that the 2026 proposal was designed to promote shared prosperity and build a Lagos that benefits all residents.

See also  Nigeria, Türkiye strengthen defence, economic ties ahead of Tinubu’s visit

“Our mission remains clear: to eradicate poverty and build a Lagos that works for all,” the governor said.

“Our vision continues to guide every fiscal decision we make—to deliver a Greater Lagos where shared prosperity is not an aspiration but a lived and felt reality.”

Sanwo-Olu explained that the budget is anchored on four pillars—a human-centred approach, modern infrastructure, a thriving economy, and effective governance—all aligned with the state’s T.H.E.M.E.S+ Agenda.

The Speaker of the House, Mudashiru Obasa, said the budget prioritised critical sectors: healthcare, education, transportation, security, and governance.

“We have all listened with rapt attention to how the wealth of our state will be utilised for our common good in 2026. The responsibility now lies with this Honourable House to meticulously perform our constitutional duty,” the Speaker said, vowing to scrutinise the proposed budget.

Reflecting on the 2025 fiscal year, Obasa said, “I can say with confidence that the current budget’s execution has been promising, especially in health, education, transport, and security.”

“For 2026, the proposed N4.237tn budget must match Lagosians’ aspirations. It must further economic resilience, improve welfare, strengthen security, and build enduring infrastructure,” he added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Veteran Nollywood Actor Baba Gebu Dies at 82 After Brief Illness

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Sowore Demands Arrest Of Senator Ned Nwoko Over Alleged Human Rights Abuses
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  Shettima returns to Abuja after attending UNGA, meetings in Germany

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Abductions: US demands action, FG vows to track bandits

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending