Connect with us

News

Kebbi schoolgirls’ abduction: DHQ summons, grills soldiers in Abuja

Published

on

All military personnel attached to the Government Girls’ Comprehensive Senior Secondary School, Maga, in the Danko/Wasagu Local Government Area of Kebbi State—where 26 schoolgirls were abducted—are currently facing interrogation at the Defence Headquarters, Abuja.

A credible senior government official told one of our correspondents that the DHQ had begun investigating the sudden withdrawal of military personnel from the school shortly before the abduction.

Terrorists stormed the school on November 17, killing the Vice Principal, Malam Hassan Makuku, before whisking away the 26 students.

However, two of the students later escaped from their captors, leaving 24 still in captivity.

 Calls for probe

The abduction sparked outrage, prompting the state Governor, Nasir Idris, to call for a probe into the sudden withdrawal of the military personnel from the school.

Speaking after a closed-door meeting with the Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, the governor revealed that the state government had earlier received intelligence reports suggesting that the school was likely to be targeted by terrorists.

He said security operatives were deployed in response to the intelligence, questioning why they were withdrawn shortly before the attack.

“We need to know why they left. We had intelligence; we provided security, so what happened?” the governor asked during the meeting.

The District Head of Maga, Muhammad Dantani, also stated that the military personnel withdrew from the school premises around 1am.

He said, “Around midnight, I called to confirm whether the soldiers were still at their post and was told they were. But unknown to us, they left the school around 1am, just shortly before the attack began. We still don’t know who gave the order or why they withdrew.

“When the bandits arrived, the police officers said they took cover because the attackers were far too numerous and opening fire would have meant certain death. The number of bandits and their level of firepower were overwhelming.

See also  NNPC subsidiaries’ debt balloons 70% to N30tn

“With the army absent, the police felt engaging the bandits would be suicidal. While we understand their safety concerns, the lack of resistance allowed the bandits to operate from around 1.30am until 3.30am without opposition.”

The schoolchildren, however, regained their freedom on Tuesday after the Federal Government negotiated their release.

The Kebbi State Government said medical examinations confirmed that the girls were not sexually abused while in captivity.

Personnel summoned to Abuja

Speaking with Saturday PUNCH, the senior government official said Kebbi was awaiting the outcome of military investigation into who ordered the personnel to leave the school premises before the attack.

“The military personnel who were stationed at the school have been summoned to Abuja for interrogation. They were summoned by the Defence Headquarters on Monday. We are following the case,” he said.

The official noted that the troops were from the Army Barracks in Zuru.

A credible security source, who has consistently provided accurate information to Saturday PUNCH, also confirmed that the personnel had been summoned to the Defence Headquarters.

“I don’t have all the details, but I learnt on Monday from colleagues in the army that the soldiers have reported to the headquarters. All the security heads are happy with what happened in Kebbi and Niger. Neither the soldiers nor the police didn’t do well. But the investigation is ongoing,” he said.

A top military official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to comment, said the investigation was ongoing.

“The military hierarchy is investigating the matter, and everyone attached to the school will be asked one or two questions to determine what went wrong. Anyone found culpable will definitely be brought to book,” he said.

Another military source added, “It’s not unlikely that the troops have been summoned in connection with the incident, but the matter is still under probe.”

See also  Anambra enforces road setbacks, approves ₦16.7bn for infrastructure projects

Efforts to obtain comments from the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj. Gen. Michael Onoja, were unsuccessful, as his phone was unreachable as of the time of filing this report.

When contacted, the Chief Press Secretary to the Kebbi State Governor, Ahmed Idris, said he could not confirm the summon.

He said, “The investigation is being handled by the Defence Headquarters, so we don’t know anything about it. However, we want to know the outcome, and we expect the military to take necessary action.”

How the schoolgirls were released

Saturday PUNCH gathered that the military attempted to rescue the girls, but the operation failed, which necessitated negotiations with the terrorists.

A top source said, “The girls were released at the border between Gusau (Zamfara State) and Kebbi State. They were kept in a forest, from where security personnel brought them back to Kebbi.

“The security operatives had located the forest where the girls were being held. They mounted surveillance and deployed heavy personnel and a helicopter, making it impossible for the bandits to move.

“The security agencies used tactics to get them out of captivity. They engaged the bandits in communication and other professional methods. They were able to convince the bandits to release the girls.”

When asked if “communication” meant negotiation, the source responded, “Yes, there was negotiation. Initially, there was an exchange of gunfire between the security personnel and the bandits, but the military later changed tactics, and the schoolgirls were released unhurt. We’re lucky to have them all back.”

Saturday PUNCH also sighted a viral video in which a bandit leader standing among the girls claimed they were released following negotiations.

See also  Nuhu Ribadu meets security chiefs

He told the girls, “You have seen how the government failed to rescue you. Your release was secured through peaceful negotiations. Our leaders were contacted, and that is how you gained your freedom.”

Attacks won’t stop children from going to school — Victims’ parents

Meanwhile, parents of the rescued schoolgirls have vowed to send their children back to school despite the incident.

Speaking with one of our correspondents, the parents said their commitment to Western education remained firm despite the trauma their families endured.

A parent, Mallam Ibrahim Naibi, said the attack strengthened his resolve to ensure all his children remained in school.

“My children will go to school. It is a promise I made to them, and by God’s will, I will keep it,” he said.

Another parent, Abubakar Jibrin, said residents of Maga would not be deterred by fear, stressing that educating their children, especially girls, remained a priority.

“In this community, we are determined to ensure our children get proper education before talking of marriage. We won’t be discouraged in any way. By God’s grace, this issue of kidnapping will not happen again,” he said.

For Alhaji Sani Jimri, education remains the community’s path to a better future.

“If we educate our children, our tomorrow is secured. We are fully ready to give them the support they need to get proper education,” he stated.

Another father, who identified himself only as Mallam Abubakar, recalled that while his son was in captivity, the family received no communication from the abductors.

“We didn’t hear their voices. We didn’t know if they had eaten or if they were sick. The silence was torture,” he said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Fubara pledges to continue serving people’s interests in Rivers

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Fubara pledges to continue serving people’s interests in Rivers

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Former minister, ex-PDP chairman Audu Ogbeh dies at 78
Continue Reading

Trending