Connect with us

News

Kebbi schoolgirls’ abduction: DHQ summons, grills soldiers in Abuja

Published

on

All military personnel attached to the Government Girls’ Comprehensive Senior Secondary School, Maga, in the Danko/Wasagu Local Government Area of Kebbi State—where 26 schoolgirls were abducted—are currently facing interrogation at the Defence Headquarters, Abuja.

A credible senior government official told one of our correspondents that the DHQ had begun investigating the sudden withdrawal of military personnel from the school shortly before the abduction.

Terrorists stormed the school on November 17, killing the Vice Principal, Malam Hassan Makuku, before whisking away the 26 students.

However, two of the students later escaped from their captors, leaving 24 still in captivity.

 Calls for probe

The abduction sparked outrage, prompting the state Governor, Nasir Idris, to call for a probe into the sudden withdrawal of the military personnel from the school.

Speaking after a closed-door meeting with the Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, the governor revealed that the state government had earlier received intelligence reports suggesting that the school was likely to be targeted by terrorists.

He said security operatives were deployed in response to the intelligence, questioning why they were withdrawn shortly before the attack.

“We need to know why they left. We had intelligence; we provided security, so what happened?” the governor asked during the meeting.

The District Head of Maga, Muhammad Dantani, also stated that the military personnel withdrew from the school premises around 1am.

He said, “Around midnight, I called to confirm whether the soldiers were still at their post and was told they were. But unknown to us, they left the school around 1am, just shortly before the attack began. We still don’t know who gave the order or why they withdrew.

“When the bandits arrived, the police officers said they took cover because the attackers were far too numerous and opening fire would have meant certain death. The number of bandits and their level of firepower were overwhelming.

See also  Japan scraps ‘Africa Hometown’ project after visa confusion

“With the army absent, the police felt engaging the bandits would be suicidal. While we understand their safety concerns, the lack of resistance allowed the bandits to operate from around 1.30am until 3.30am without opposition.”

The schoolchildren, however, regained their freedom on Tuesday after the Federal Government negotiated their release.

The Kebbi State Government said medical examinations confirmed that the girls were not sexually abused while in captivity.

Personnel summoned to Abuja

Speaking with Saturday PUNCH, the senior government official said Kebbi was awaiting the outcome of military investigation into who ordered the personnel to leave the school premises before the attack.

“The military personnel who were stationed at the school have been summoned to Abuja for interrogation. They were summoned by the Defence Headquarters on Monday. We are following the case,” he said.

The official noted that the troops were from the Army Barracks in Zuru.

A credible security source, who has consistently provided accurate information to Saturday PUNCH, also confirmed that the personnel had been summoned to the Defence Headquarters.

“I don’t have all the details, but I learnt on Monday from colleagues in the army that the soldiers have reported to the headquarters. All the security heads are happy with what happened in Kebbi and Niger. Neither the soldiers nor the police didn’t do well. But the investigation is ongoing,” he said.

A top military official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to comment, said the investigation was ongoing.

“The military hierarchy is investigating the matter, and everyone attached to the school will be asked one or two questions to determine what went wrong. Anyone found culpable will definitely be brought to book,” he said.

Another military source added, “It’s not unlikely that the troops have been summoned in connection with the incident, but the matter is still under probe.”

See also  Hamzat, Yayi, Alli may emerge APC consensus gov candidates

Efforts to obtain comments from the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj. Gen. Michael Onoja, were unsuccessful, as his phone was unreachable as of the time of filing this report.

When contacted, the Chief Press Secretary to the Kebbi State Governor, Ahmed Idris, said he could not confirm the summon.

He said, “The investigation is being handled by the Defence Headquarters, so we don’t know anything about it. However, we want to know the outcome, and we expect the military to take necessary action.”

How the schoolgirls were released

Saturday PUNCH gathered that the military attempted to rescue the girls, but the operation failed, which necessitated negotiations with the terrorists.

A top source said, “The girls were released at the border between Gusau (Zamfara State) and Kebbi State. They were kept in a forest, from where security personnel brought them back to Kebbi.

“The security operatives had located the forest where the girls were being held. They mounted surveillance and deployed heavy personnel and a helicopter, making it impossible for the bandits to move.

“The security agencies used tactics to get them out of captivity. They engaged the bandits in communication and other professional methods. They were able to convince the bandits to release the girls.”

When asked if “communication” meant negotiation, the source responded, “Yes, there was negotiation. Initially, there was an exchange of gunfire between the security personnel and the bandits, but the military later changed tactics, and the schoolgirls were released unhurt. We’re lucky to have them all back.”

Saturday PUNCH also sighted a viral video in which a bandit leader standing among the girls claimed they were released following negotiations.

See also  MC Oluomo denies owing Nollywood actors

He told the girls, “You have seen how the government failed to rescue you. Your release was secured through peaceful negotiations. Our leaders were contacted, and that is how you gained your freedom.”

Attacks won’t stop children from going to school — Victims’ parents

Meanwhile, parents of the rescued schoolgirls have vowed to send their children back to school despite the incident.

Speaking with one of our correspondents, the parents said their commitment to Western education remained firm despite the trauma their families endured.

A parent, Mallam Ibrahim Naibi, said the attack strengthened his resolve to ensure all his children remained in school.

“My children will go to school. It is a promise I made to them, and by God’s will, I will keep it,” he said.

Another parent, Abubakar Jibrin, said residents of Maga would not be deterred by fear, stressing that educating their children, especially girls, remained a priority.

“In this community, we are determined to ensure our children get proper education before talking of marriage. We won’t be discouraged in any way. By God’s grace, this issue of kidnapping will not happen again,” he said.

For Alhaji Sani Jimri, education remains the community’s path to a better future.

“If we educate our children, our tomorrow is secured. We are fully ready to give them the support they need to get proper education,” he stated.

Another father, who identified himself only as Mallam Abubakar, recalled that while his son was in captivity, the family received no communication from the abductors.

“We didn’t hear their voices. We didn’t know if they had eaten or if they were sick. The silence was torture,” he said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  APC waives screening for Tinubu ahead of primaries

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  FG to capture N4tn power sector bond in MTEF
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Oyo protests go nationwide, NASS moves on state police in reaction to school children abduction

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending