Connect with us

News

South West commission pushes revival of old rail corridors

Published

on

The Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of the South-West Development Commission, Dr Charles Akinola, has revealed that the commission’s push for the revival of many old, unserviced rail lines in the South-West is aimed at building a regional rail ecosystem that will reduce transportation costs, expand market access, enable rural prosperity, and create jobs for youths across the region, among others.

Akinola made this known on Monday at an interaction session with journalists in Lagos. The SWDC MD commended the Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, Dr Kayode Opeifa, for welcoming the commission’s proposal on Southwest rail connectivity during the executive management’s working visit to him last week.

Akinola said Opeifa had assured the SWDC team of positive consideration of the proposals, stressing that the NRC was excited to play its role in efforts to make rail transportation a cornerstone of economic development in Nigeria.

According to Akinola, Opeifa had expressed the readiness of the NRC to review SWDC’s application for an operational licence, adding that he had instructed the directors to work with the commission’s technical team to draft the appropriate Memorandum of Understanding that would bring the requests to life.

Akinola insisted that regional rail connectivity will incentivize farming, thereby promoting food security, boosting the region’s Gross Domestic Product, and enhancing the overall economic prosperity of the region in line with President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

The SWDC boss said the commission’s rail development roadmap consists of short, medium, and long-term plans. In the short term, the commission sought the concessioning of old, unutilized rail routes for immediate operation.

Of particular interest to Akinola is the revival of the historic Idogo route and the reactivation of the Dagbolu–Osogbo–Erunmu–Omi–Adio corridor. He said the Idogo route is critical to food security and agricultural evacuation.

See also  Christian Genocide: Tinubu has been generous to Christians, why the betrayal to Trump? — MURIC to CAN

He said: “Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, and Osun are already serviced by rail. We want to maximize these existing corridors to move foodstuffs into Lagos, and also deliver fast-moving consumer goods from the Lagos axis to other Southwest consumer markets.

“We want to revive the Idogo route, and indeed extend it to Dagbolu for movement of farm produce in large quantities from Osun, Oyo, and Ogun states to Lagos, where demand is high. The route will also enhance the delivery of fast-moving consumer goods from Lagos and Ogun states to other states, thereby boosting commerce, creating jobs, and improving cargo movement efficiency.”

For the medium term, Akinola disclosed that SWDC has applied for an operational licence for new routes, expressing optimism for prompt approval. He noted that the commission was exploring opportunities to bring in private-sector partners to operate selected rail lines across the region.

“This agenda has previously been advanced by the DAWN Commission, and we are now in a position to fast-track its implementation,” he said.

In advancing these proposals, Akinola stated that both agencies have agreed on a joint technical team, assuring that SWDC is working with the six Southwest governors to construct strategic road spurs to rail stations that will link dry ports, industrial hubs, and related facilities.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  FG to capture N4tn power sector bond in MTEF

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Insecurity: Nigerians urge swift action amid Trump’s threat

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Use your influence to promote unity and not division - President Tinubu tells Content creators
Continue Reading

Trending