Connect with us

News

Reps summon ministers over budget underperformance

Published

on

The House of Representatives has summoned the Minister of Finance, Mr Wale Edun, and the Minister of Budget and National Planning, Mr Atiku Bagudu, over poor budget implementation.

The House on Tuesday held a closed-door session with Edun, Bagudu, the Accountant-General of the Federation, Shamseldeen Ogunjimi; and the Executive Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service, Zacch Adedeji.

A lawmaker who attended the session told The PUNCH in confidence that the meeting focused on the poor implementation of the capital components of the 2024 and 2025 budgets. He said lawmakers expressed deep frustration over the government’s failure to release funds for projects already executed.

As a result, the House resolved not to consider the 2026 Appropriation Bill until the Federal Government clears outstanding payments owed to contractors under the 2024 and 2025 budget cycles.

In protest, the House stepped down consideration of about 42 bills listed for first, second, and third readings. It also deferred the presentation of four committee reports on bills proposing the establishment of agricultural colleges and specialised institutions in Kaduna, Edo, and other states.

For the third time, the House also suspended its planned consideration of the constitution review report submitted last week by the Committee on Constitution Review.

The executive session lasted nearly two and a half hours and ended without an official briefing.

However, a member familiar with the discussions said the lawmakers were dissatisfied with what they described as President Bola Tinubu’s poor budget performance so far.

He said, “It was the same issue of poor implementation of the 2024 and 2025 budgets. I mean the capital component of the budgets. Projects executed have not been paid for, and this is really embarrassing.

See also  Trump threats: Tinubu rallies foreign allies as North rejects Sharia ban

“We have been on this for a while now, and despite the assurances we got today, many of us took it with a pinch of salt because the assurances are not new. Members were so angry that they vowed not to consider the 2026 Appropriation Bill when it is transmitted by the president unless the funding gaps in the previous budgets of this administration are addressed.”

He added that the Accountant-General pleaded for time to settle the outstanding payments. “The Accountant-General pleaded with lawmakers to be given 48 hours to address the concern of local contractors. As representatives of the people, we granted this request. But I can tell you that some of us are not optimistic,” he said.

In a separate interview, Edo lawmaker Billy Osawaru urged the Federal Government to prioritise payments to contractors, stressing that many had taken loans to execute the projects.

He said, “Since the contractors have fulfilled their obligations by executing the 2024 projects, they deserve to be paid, considering the fact that the majority of them secured loans using collateral. The executive must restore its integrity by prioritising these payments.”

The Minority Leader of the House, Kingsley Chinda, also condemned the poor level of implementation, saying full execution of the budgets was necessary to restore public confidence. “The only solution is for a commencement of full implementation of the budgets,” the Rivers lawmaker said in a telephone interview.

Similarly, the House spokesman, Akin Rotimi, said members were displeased with the government’s indebtedness to local contractors. He, however, expressed hope that recent engagements with the executive would yield improved capital releases.

See also  You can’t lie about your country and then we keep quiet - Dabiri-Erewa slams Kemi Badenoch over claim on Nigerian citizenship

He said, “As parliamentarians, we are concerned about the poor implementation of the capital component of the 2024 and 2025 budgets. Capital projects are essential to national development because they create jobs, improve infrastructure, and strengthen local economies.

“When releases are delayed or insufficient, progress slows and public confidence drops. We have been engaging with the executive and have received assurances that capital releases will improve.

“Our priority is to ensure the budget delivers real value to Nigerians, and we will continue strong oversight and collaboration to clear bottlenecks, improve cash-flow planning, and ensure capital projects are executed efficiently and transparently.”

Former Chief Economist at Zenith Bank Plc, Mr Marcel Okeke, criticised the Federal Government’s budget administration since 2023, describing the concurrent running of multiple budgets as a violation of due process.

He said, “What this (budget distortions) tells us is that the Federal Government is not living up to expectations. The discussion of the budget is another way of discussing the economy. Budget is an annual plan and it is a law meant to be implemented within a specific time frame.

“If the Federal Government is distorting this time frame, it means that the government is not serious. Every budget of a given year is done based on assumptions. The assumptions on which the 2024 budget was prepared are different from those of the 2025 budget, and the ones of 2025 will not be the same as those of 2026. They are messing everything up now,” he lamented.

He warned that the lapses at the federal level negatively affect the states. “The state governments usually take cues from the Federal Government’s presentation and assumptions. The state governments don’t control oil. It is the Federal Government that announces the volume of oil production and assumptions for the budget,” he said.

See also  CBN pumps $1.25bn into fuel import, others

Okeke, while criticising the Buhari administration, noted that it at least maintained the January–December budget cycle. “The rolling of budgets is a joke on the running of the economy. The Buhari-led government was a failure, but if it did anything well, it was the issue of restoring the January-December budget cycle.

“As economic agents—households, families, etc—look up to the government framework every year, so that as a person, you will begin to plan. What this whole thing means is that instead of things being done according to law, they will be done according to somebody’s caprices.

“The way things are stated in the budget will no longer necessarily be the way they will be implemented. There would be all kinds of corruption, embezzlement, and malfeasance because everything becomes an emergency,” he said.

The House is expected to resume normal plenary today (Wednesday).

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  See how FG moves to recover unremitted funds before April

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  See how FG moves to recover unremitted funds before April
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  Man kills self in Imo over hardship, family neglect

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Science minister Nnaji resigns over alleged certificate forgery

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending