Connect with us

News

US Congress panels talk tough over Nigeria IDP crisis

Published

on

The United States House Appropriations Committee has reaffirmed America’s commitment to addressing religious persecution globally, with a focus on Nigeria, in a statement posted on its official X account on Wednesday.

“America will not look away as innocent lives are stolen. Directed by @POTUS, Appropriators led an on-the-ground mission to inform a report on Christian persecution in Nigeria and guide policy recommendations. Religious freedom and atrocity response are central to our NSRP bill,” the committee said.

The statement followed a visit to Nigeria by a delegation of US lawmakers, led by Congressman Riley Moore, under the direction of President Donald Trump.

The delegation’s mission, confirmed by Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, aimed to strengthen counter-terrorism cooperation, enhance regional stability, and reinforce the strategic security partnership between Nigeria and the United States.

During his visit, Moore met with Tiv and Catholic leaders in Benue State and visited camps for internally displaced persons.

On X, he described the conditions he witnessed as harrowing.

“I met dozens of Christians who were driven from their homes and subjected to horrific violence and now live in IDP camps,” Moore wrote.

He recounted the testimonies of victims of attacks in Benue, saying, “They told harrowing stories that will remain with me for the rest of my life.

“One woman was forced to watch as they killed her husband and five children.

She and her unborn child barely escaped. Another woman told me her family was murdered in front of her and her baby was ripped from her womb. A man said his family was hacked to death in front of his eyes and his arm was permanently mangled.”

See also  Photos: Nigeria Military Drone Crashes In Niger State

Moore estimated that more than 600,000 Christians are currently living in IDP camps in Benue State, a region long affected by violent clashes between farming communities and armed groups.

“These Christians should be able to live in their ancestral homeland without fear of genocidal Fulani,” he wrote, calling for greater international attention to the crisis.

Moore also met with traditional and religious leaders, including Bishop Wilfred Anagbe, Bishop Isaac Dugu, and James Ioruza, traditional ruler of the Tiv people.

He described these meetings as “an honour and deeply moving,” during which he discussed “the ongoing genocidal campaign by the Fulani in Benue State.”

The congressman said discussions with Nigerian authorities, including Ribadu, focused on terrorism in the North-East and killings in the Middle Belt, issues he said were priorities for both President Trump and himself.

He commended Nigeria for rescuing over 100 abducted Catholic schoolchildren and highlighted what he called a “now established joint task force between Nigeria and the US” as a positive development.

“Now, that openness has to translate to concrete action,” Moore said, adding that “there is much work still to be done.”

The US delegation’s visit comes amid heightened diplomatic tensions following the Trump administration’s redesignation of Nigeria as a Country of Particular Concern over alleged religious freedom violations, a move accompanied by warnings of potential US military intervention.

The Federal Government has repeatedly rejected claims of systemic persecution of Christians, insisting that insecurity affects citizens of all faiths.

Prior engagements included Ribadu’s November 20 visit to the Pentagon, where Secretary of War Pete Hegseth discussed coordinated strategies to address Nigeria’s security crisis.

See also  US defends Soyinka’s visa revocation

On the same day, the US House Subcommittee on Africa held a public hearing on the implications of the redesignation.

Last week, House Republicans raised fresh concerns about religious violence in Nigeria during a joint briefing ordered by President Trump.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  UN decries targeted abductions of students in Nigeria

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Bamidele, Kalu differ on alleged plot to impeach Akpabio

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  UN decries targeted abductions of students in Nigeria
Continue Reading

Trending