Connect with us

News

200 soldiers from Nigeria, other countries arrive Benin for cleanup after failed coup

Published

on

Benin’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Olushegun Adjadi Bakari said about 200 West African soldiers, mostly from Nigeria and Ivory Coast, were sent to Benin to support the government after a failed coup on Sunday.

The coup attempt collapsed after Nigeria sent fighter jets, which forced the rebel soldiers out of a military base and the state television station, where they had announced they were taking power.

This is the first time officials have confirmed the number of foreign troops involved. It is still unclear whether some of them have since left Benin.

The minister said on Thursday that some regional troops were still in the country to help with “sweep and clean-up” operations.

Security forces are now hunting down those involved in the plot. The leader of the failed coup is believed to have fled to neighbouring Togo.

The rebel soldiers said they acted because they were unhappy with President Patrice Talon’s leadership. They accused him of failing to deal with worsening insecurity in northern Benin.

The West African regional body, Ecowas, sent troops from Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone and Ivory Coast to protect key locations and stop any further violence.

Nigeria, which borders Benin to the east, said its troops arrived on Sunday and described the coup attempt as a serious attack on democracy.

An Ivory Coast security source told some newspapers that about 50 Ivorian soldiers were part of the regional force.

Speaking to journalists in Abuja alongside Nigeria’s foreign minister, Yusuf Maitama Tuggar Bakari said the coup had already failed by the time Benin asked for help.

See also  Resident Doctors Insist On Planned Strike Despite Court Order

He explained that Benin’s forces had already pushed the rebels back, but needed targeted air support to hit key rebel positions without harming civilians.

Tuggar said quick diplomatic, military and intelligence cooperation between Nigeria and Benin helped stop the coup.

Talks are ongoing about how long the regional troops will stay. Bakari said any decision would be made together with Benin’s security forces, whom he praised for their courage.

It is unclear whether French special forces, who reportedly helped loyal troops, are still in the country.

After several successful coups in West Africa in recent years, Ecowas is under pressure and is now showing it will not tolerate the removal of elected governments by force.

Bakari described Ecowas as a vital body for defending democracy in the region.

Benin’s army has suffered losses in recent years near its northern borders with Niger and Burkina Faso, where jihadist groups linked to Islamic State and al-Qaeda have been active.

President Talon, seen as an ally of Western countries, is expected to step down next year after completing his second term. Elections are scheduled for April.

If the coup had succeeded, it would have been the ninth successful takeover in West Africa in the past five years.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Nigeria To Get Fresh $N500m World Bank Loan Amid Huge Debt Burden

Published

on

The loan is aimed at boosting agricultural productivity and strengthening key value chains across participating states.

The World Bank is expected to approve a new $500 million loan for Nigeria next month.

The loan is aimed at boosting agricultural productivity and strengthening key value chains across participating states.

According to official project documents at the weekend, the loan has an estimated approval date of March 30, 2026.

The project lists a “Total Operation Cost” of $500 million, with “Total Financing” also put at $500 million.

The entire funding will be provided by the World Bank’s concessional lending arm, the International Development Association, through an IDA credit facility valued at $500 million.

The borrower is listed as the Federal Republic of Nigeria, while implementation will be handled by the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security alongside participating state governments.

The project is designed to increase smallholder productivity and strengthen targeted agricultural value chains in selected states. The World Bank noted that creating more and better jobs, while tackling food and nutrition insecurity, remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing development challenges.

The facility will be deployed across four major components.

These include integrating smallholder farmers into competitive value chains, modernizing smallholder production systems, strengthening policy frameworks and the enabling environment to attract private investment in input markets, and ensuring effective project coordination and monitoring.

The planned loan comes amid a continued rise in Nigeria’s external debt profile. Data show that funding from the International Development Association increased by $1.9 billion within one year, reaching $18.7 billion as of December 31, 2025.

See also  Resident Doctors Insist On Planned Strike Despite Court Order

According to the Debt Management Office, Nigeria’s total external debt stood at $46.98 billion as of June 30, 2025. Of that amount, the World Bank Group accounted for $19.39 billion.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Veteran Nollywood Actor, Victor Eriabie, Is De@d

Published

on

His body has been moved from Lagos to his hometown, Aghalope, in Delta State. Family members are expected to announce burial plans in the coming days.

Victor Eriabie, the veteran Nollywood actor, has passed away.

He passed away on the morning of February 17 at the age of 63. News of his de@th spread across the film industry, leaving colleagues and fans in mourning.

Eriabie became popular in the 1990s and early 2000s for his strong presence in Nigerian films. He gained wide attention through the movie series Izozo, a production that told the story of women trafficking and the struggles faced by victims. The film series was well-received at the time and brought him into the spotlight.

His body has been moved from Lagos to his hometown, Aghalope, in Delta State. Family members are expected to announce burial plans in the coming days.

The late actor was a graduate of the University of Port Harcourt. Over the years, he built a career that went beyond acting. He worked as a film producer, television host, and radio presenter.

He was also involved in media production and communications, serving as the chief executive officer of a media company and working as a playwright.

In recent years, he featured in films such as Love in a Pandemic and Unforgivable, both released in 2023. Despite being less active than in his early career days, he remained part of the entertainment space.

Throughout his time in Nollywood, Eriabie participated in numerous film and media projects. His early work, especially Izozo, drew public attention to social problems affecting women and young girls.

See also  PHOTOS & VIDEO: 2 shot de@d as Kenyan security forces fire in the air to disperse crowd at viewing of Raila Odinga's body

As of now, his family has not made public the cause of his de@th. Further details about his funeral arrangements are expected to be made known soon.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

PHOTOS: Outrage over Aiyedatiwa’s commissioning of one ‘keke ambulance’, borehole in Ondo

Published

on

Residents of Ondo State have condemned the commissioning of a borehole and one tricycle ambulance by Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa as part of activities marking his first-year anniversary in office.

According to some of the residents, the state, being one of the oil-producing states in the country, deserves better, particularly as it receives huge allocations from FAAC.

In commemoration of his first anniversary in office as governor, Aiyedatiwa, represented by his Deputy, Dr Olayide Adelami, a few days ago commissioned the tricycle ambulance and a 100,000-litre water supply scheme at the Federal University of Technology Akure Teaching Hospital complex.

Infuriated by the development, a human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, described the situation as an affliction.

He said, “An oil-producing state reduced to using a Kéké as an ambulance? Hon. Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa presides over a state that receives derivation funds from oil revenue. Ondo is not bankrupt. Ondo is not landlocked. Ondo is not a war zone. Yet, citizens in medical distress are transported in tricycles? It is finished!.

On his part, a resident, who simply gave his name as Odunayo, said the commissioning can best be described as a show of shame, stressing that “it is truly disheartening to see Ondo State gradually losing its place among leading states.

“Imagine the government publicly commissioning a renovated primary health centre and a tricycle ambulance; it says a lot about the priorities of the Ondo State Government under the leadership of Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa.

“This should not be celebrated as a landmark achievement. It raises serious concerns about the scale of development and ambition in the state. One even wonders whether the funds spent on mobilising for the commissioning ceremony may rival or exceed the actual cost of the project itself.

See also  PHOTOS & VIDEO: 2 shot de@d as Kenyan security forces fire in the air to disperse crowd at viewing of Raila Odinga's body

Oluwaseun Fashedemi: “This is so shameful for a governor to commission a Keke Maruwa ambulance. Ondo State citizens, how did you all get it wrong with bad governors?”

For Raphael Oyetogun, “What a shame. Local government chairmen are commissioning bigger projects far beyond these in Lagos State. While Wike built 13 flyovers, Alex Otti is working on bigger projects in Abia, and Zulum is doing greater works in Bornu State. Come to Delta State and see what Sheriff is doing in just 2 years.

“How did we get here in Ondo State? And some people are here applauding this government.”

Reacting to the development, Yomi Oyekan, an aide to Aiyedatiwa, stated that the tricycle ambulances are not a replacement for standard ambulances, disclosing that they are a strategic addition.

According to Oyekan, the ambulance tricycles were designed specifically for hard-to-reach rural communities, riverine areas, and narrow roads where conventional ambulances struggle to access quickly.

“Healthcare delivery is not about optics; it is about accessibility and saving lives. It is quite interesting to see some critics suddenly develop selective outrage over the recent distribution of modified tricycle ambulances.

“Were they blind when the administration of Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa unveiled and distributed fully equipped conventional ambulances across the state? Were they silent when emergency medical services were strengthened, response systems upgraded, and healthcare facilities supported with life-saving equipment?

“Governance requires practical solutions tailored to real terrain and real people. Ondo State deserves both conventional ambulances for highways and advanced emergencies and agile tricycle units for interior communities. Selective criticism does not save lives; responsive leadership does.”

See also  States on high alert as Adamawa flood death toll rises

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending