Connect with us

Lifestyle

Ogun steps in as 60 candidates express interest for Awujale

Published

on

Facts emerged on Sunday on why the much-anticipated nomination meeting of candidates for the vacant Awujale stool and paramount ruler of Ijebu land was postponed by the Fusengbuwa Ruling House.

The PUNCH also learnt that the number of aspirants seeking to become the next Awujale is not fewer than 60.

Recall that the Fusengbuwa Ruling House, which is next in line to produce the Awujale following the death of the 91-year-old Oba Sikiru Adetona in July 2025, had announced last Thursday that the nomination meeting would be held on Monday.

The announcement was contained in a letter dated December 11, 2025, signed by the family’s spokesman, Abiodun Ogidan.

The meeting was scheduled to take place at Bisrod Hall, GRA, Ijebu-Ode.

The ruling house had outlined strict protocols for the exercise, stressing that only accredited family members would be allowed entry.

It also stated that each aspirant would be represented by two family members, with one nominating the candidate and the other seconding the nomination.

The ruling house further directed that aspirants themselves would not attend the meeting but would be represented by the two accredited family members.

Family members and accredited representatives were also urged to conduct themselves with utmost peace, respect and orderliness befitting the sacred process.

However, in a subsequent statement issued on Friday by the nomination committee, the ruling house announced the postponement of the meeting.

The statement, titled “To All Members of Fusengbuwa Ruling House, Ijebu-Ode,” read: “Due to circumstances beyond the family’s control, the Fusengbuwa Ruling House Awujale Nomination Meeting scheduled for Monday, 15th December 2025, has been postponed. The new date will be announced shortly. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.”

See also  Brigadier Joshua Nimyel Dogonyaro’s Coup Speech Following the Overthrow of Major General Muhammadu Buhari on August 27, 1985

Speaking exclusively with The PUNCH on Sunday, the Chairman of the Fusengbuwa Ruling House and former National President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria, Abdulateef Owoyemi, said the meeting was put on hold following an intervention by the state government to prevent procedural errors that could result in litigation.

Owoyemi explained that the postponement was to enable the ruling house to attend a meeting scheduled by the state government on Tuesday to review the process so far and ensure compliance with existing laws.

He dismissed insinuations that the decision was linked to the reported candidature of Fuji musician, Alhaji Wasiu Ayinde (KWAM1), whom the ruling house had previously said was not a member of the Fusengbuwa Ruling House and therefore not eligible to contest.

Owoyemi said, “The postponement of the nomination meeting has nothing to do with any individual, far from that.

“What actually happened is that we received a summons from the state government for a meeting on Tuesday. The meeting is to ensure that everything is done correctly so that the selection process does not become a fertile ground for litigation or generate legal controversy.

“It is a process of comparing notes and ensuring that we cross our Ts and dot our Is. We appreciate this because it will help maintain standards and ensure that the process is flawless. There is nothing to worry about.”

Also speaking with The PUNCH on Sunday, the Vice Chairman of the ruling house, Prof Fassy Yusuf, confirmed that both the ruling house and the kingmakers had been invited to a meeting with the government on Tuesday, necessitating the postponement.

See also  Ladoja’s coronation as 44th Olubadan kicks off September 26

Prof Yusuf added that the number of princes aspiring to succeed the late Awujale was not fewer than 60.

The University of Lagos Professor of Mass Communication said, “There are certain things we have not done, so the government has scheduled a meeting with us for Tuesday. The government will meet with the ruling house, the kingmakers, and the Awujale Interregnum Committee.

“It is to ensure that everything is in order, and it is the outcome of this meeting that will determine when the nomination meeting will be held.

“The postponement has nothing to do with anyone. Anyone saying otherwise is being mischievous and spreading falsehood. So far, about 60 people are in the race to become the next Awujale.”

Efforts to find a successor to the highly revered Oba Adetona, who reigned for 65 years before his death in July, had recently intensified following a directive by the local government giving the ruling house 14 days to submit the names of candidates for the throne.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Rest every four hours, FRSC issues safety guide for fasting motorists

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps, on Friday, urged motorists who are participating in the fasting periods, to ensure that they take rest at intervals, to avoid road crashes.

The FRSC Commander in-charge of the Sagamu-Ore-Benin Expressway corridor, Mr Nasir Mohammed, gave the advice in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Ota.

He noted that the advice had become expedient following the commencement of fasting periods by both Christian and Muslim faithfuls.

NAN reports that Catholic faithfuls had commenced lenten season with the distribution of Ash on Wednesday, which period is marked by 40 days fasting.

In the same vein, Muslim faithfuls had also began observation of Ramadan in the Islamic calendar, which period is also marked by fasting.

Mohammed urged motorists to be cautious of fatigue and possible dehydration during the fasting periods, and ensure that they take hours of rest before returning to the steering.

He also warned motorists against over speeding and wrongful overtaking, which could lead to tragedy, adding that drivers must strictly adhere to all safety rules while on the road.

“We are appealing to motorists, especially Muslims and Christians who are fasting, to always observe the rest after every four hours of driving, to prevent avoidable loss of lives.

“Also, all motorists are enjoined to drive to stay alive; Wishing all safer roads and fuller life.” he said.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Akinwumi Isola: Professor who stood for the Yoruba people, his last words
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Alleged rape: Nigerian Tiktoker admitted in Ogun health facility

Published

on

Ogun State Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, Adijat Adeleye has disclosed that the Nigerian Tiktoker, simply identified as Mirable, has been admitted to a State-owned health facility, and is currently receiving comprehensive medical attention.

Adeleye added that an investigation had begun and the survivor is presently receiving psychosocial support, and is responding positively to medical treatment.

The commissioner stated this on Thursday night shortly after visiting the survivor at the health facility, in the company of the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, and the Medical Director of the facility.

According to her, the visit was aimed at assessing the survivor’s condition and ensuring that appropriate medical and welfare interventions were promptly administered.

The Commissioner praised the personnel at the State-owned medical facility and the State Ministry of Justice for their quick response, as well as the Nigeria Police Force and Ogun State Police Command for their rapid and timely action as soon as the case was transferred to the State.

“This structured approach is intended to protect the survivor’s welfare while guaranteeing that investigations are conducted professionally, thoroughly, and strictly on the basis of verifiable evidence”, Adeleye said.

She added that detailed examinations and all required clinical procedures are being carried out in line with established standards for managing cases of alleged sexual assault, while the security agency is carrying out their investigation simultaneously.

“The welfare, dignity, and safety of every survivor remains our utmost priority. The Prince Dapo Abiodun led- administration maintains a zero-tolerance stance on sexual and gender-based violence, stressing that “while we stand firmly with survivors, we are equally guided by due process.

See also  Oriyomi Hamzat apologizes to Naira Marley, lifts ban on the singer’s songs on Agidigbo FM

“Investigations must be evidence-based, transparent, and fair to all parties involved, even as whosoever is found wanting would be made to face the full wrath of the law,” she said.

She urged residents to steer clear of speculative narratives or sensational commentary that could compromise due process while assuring them that the State Government would get to the bottom of the issue to ascertain the veracity of the claim.

Meanwhile, she assured members of the public that further updates would be communicated at the appropriate time as credible findings emerge from ongoing investigations.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Rape allegation not true – Mirabel finally opens up

Published

on

Nigerian TikToker, known simply as Mirabel has finally opened up on the allegation of rape she earlier raised in a viral video.

It was recalls that the content creator, with the username @mirab351 had, alleged that she was sexually assaulted by an unknown man at her residence in Ogun State.

She claimed that the alleged rapist inflicted an injury on her privates with a blade.

Her story generated reactions across social media, causing the Nigeria Police to swing into action.

Some netizens, however, expressed scepticism on the factuality of the allegation, stating that the stories were not adding up.

But the Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, said on Thursday that the command was investigating the matter.

However, Mirabel, who opened up to Popular social media activist, Martins Otse, widely known as VeryDarkMan, VDM said she had been into drugs and could be hallucinating.

 

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: Old Residency, Calabar – “Colonial Nigeria’s Aso Rock”
Continue Reading

Trending