Connect with us

News

PHOTOS: Meet Anthony Joshua’s close friends who died in Lagos-Ibadan Expressway crash

Published

on

Two close friends and team members of world-renowned boxer, Anthony Joshua, have been identified as the victims of the fatal road crash that occurred along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway on Monday.

Anthony Joshua’s promoter, Matchroom Boxing, confirmed in a statement that the deceased were Sina Ghami and Latif “Latz” Ayodele, both of whom worked closely with the boxer for several years.

“With profound sadness, it has been confirmed that two close friends and team members Sina Ghami and Latif Ayodele have tragically passed away,” Matchroom Boxing said.

The company added that Joshua sustained injuries in the accident and was taken to hospital for checks and treatment, noting that he was in a stable condition and would remain under observation.

The BBC also confirmed that the two men killed in the crash were Joshua’s teammates, adding that both were part of his inner circle.

Online reports that just hours before the accident, Joshua had posted an Instagram story showing him playing table tennis with Latif Ayodele, popularly known as Latz.

Who were they?

Sina Ghami

Sina Ghami was Joshua’s strength and conditioning coach for more than a decade.

He also co-founded Evolve Gym in London.

BBC reports that Ghami is a qualified sports and exercise rehabilitator who specialises in musculoskeletal injuries and corrective exercise.

Ghami had worked with athletes across several sports, including the National Football League, National Basketball Association and the Michigan State University football team.

The BBC reports that Ghami, who specialised in sports rehabilitation and injury prevention, had shared social media posts from Lagos shortly before the crash and frequently posted photos with Joshua.

See also  Press freedom violation report ‘misleading’ – Kano Govt

Latif “Latz” Ayodele

Latif Ayodele, widely known as Latz, was Joshua’s personal trainer.

His social media pages reflected a deep passion for fitness and a strong commitment to Islam.

Ayodele regularly posted photos with Joshua on his Instagram page and was seen with the boxer shortly before the accident.

How the crash happened

As earlier reported by PUNCH Online, Joshua was involved in the road accident around 11 am on Monday at Makun, near the Danco Filling Station, before the Sagamu Interchange inward Ibadan on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Anthony Joshua is helped out of his Lexus SUV following a crash on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway on Monday. Photo: Adeniyi Orojo/PUNCH.

“It was a two-vehicle convoy: a Lexus SUV and a Pajero SUV. Joshua was seated behind the driver, with another person beside him. There was also a passenger sitting beside the driver, making four occupants in the Lexus that crashed. His security detail was in the vehicle behind them before the crash.

“Other eyewitnesses and I began the rescue and flagged down oncoming vehicles to assist. A few minutes after the crash, officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps arrived,” he said.

He added that the passenger beside the driver and the occupant beside Joshua died on the spot, while Joshua sustained minor injuries.

Officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps later arrived at the scene and commenced rescue and investigation efforts.

Official reactions

The Ogun State Police Command confirmed the incident, stating that two passengers died at the scene while Joshua and one other person were hospitalised.

Moments after Joshua (middle) was rescued from the car crash and taken for hospital treatment. Photo: PUNCH

In a statement shared on X, the police said the deceased had been conveyed to the Livewell Hospital Morgue in Sagamu, while investigations into the circumstances surrounding the crash had commenced.

See also  Putin expresses interest in meeting Trump as White House Presses for Ukraine Peace deal

The Federal Road Safety Corps, in its preliminary findings, attributed the crash to excessive speed and wrongful overtaking, noting that the Lexus SUV lost control before colliding with the stationary truck.

Joshua, who was born to British-Nigerian parents, attended a boarding school in Ikenne, a few kilometres from where the accident occurred.

Messages of condolence have continued to pour in from fans and public figures, while tributes have flooded social media for Ghami and Ayodele.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Press freedom violation report ‘misleading’ – Kano Govt

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  FERMA unveils initiative to curb road crashes in Kogi

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  US lawmakers, Nigerian Reps hold fresh sessions over rising insecurity
Continue Reading

Trending