Connect with us

News

Lagos plaza death toll hits five as fire razes another market

Published

on

The death toll from the fire that gutted the Great Nigeria Building in the Balogun Market area of Lagos Island, Lagos State, has risen to five, as two more bodies were recovered from the rubble on Sunday.

This came as another fire outbreak on Monday evening gutted a section of the Arena Market in the Bolade area of Oshodi, Lagos State.

The Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, in a statement by its Controller General, Margret Adeseye, stated that it received a distress call at about 5:50pm, prompting the immediate deployment of firefighting units, which arrived at the scene within five minutes.

She added that the fire affected five 40-foot container shops arranged in two rows, bringing the total number of affected shops to 10.

The statement read, “The Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service received a distress call at approximately 17:50 hours today reporting a fire outbreak at Arena Market, Bolade, Oshodi.

Firefighting units were promptly dispatched and arrived at the scene within five minutes. At about 17:55 hours, fire crews from Bolade, Ilupeju, Ikeja, and Alausa Fire Stations responded swiftly and collaboratively to contain the incident.

“The fire affected a section of the market consisting of five (5) 40-foot container shops arranged in two rows, making a total of 10 shops. The affected area is primarily used for the storage and sale of clothing materials, which were stocked in bales. The fire has been confined to the affected section and curtailed. The situation is firmly under control, and there is no risk of the fire spreading to other parts of the market.”

See also  Counter-terrorism campaign: FG moves to fast-track trial of 5,000 insurgents

According to the fire service, the inferno was successfully confined to the affected section and brought under control, with no risk of it spreading to adjoining areas of the market.

On the GNI incident, PUNCH Metro reported that the fire started on the fourth floor and spread to the sixth floor of the 25-storey building before engulfing the remaining floors and adjoining structures.

A detached section of the plaza, estimated at about seven floors, collapsed during the inferno, trapping traders and market assistants.

While seven individuals were rescued shortly after the collapse, three bodies were recovered from the rubble on Friday.

Sources at the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency told PUNCH Metro on Tuesday that the additional bodies were pulled out during ongoing search-and-rescue operations on Sunday.

“We recovered two more bodies on Sunday. The bodies were already burnt because of the fire, and we could not recognise who they were. One of the bodies was also mangled.

“The goods under the rubble are still a reason why the fire is still burning under it. It is no longer an emergency situation other than recovery,” the source disclosed.

Our correspondent gathered on Tuesday that more people have begun to throng the scene of the incident in search of their loved ones.

There were also indications that the customers who had come to purchase goods were also caught up in the incident.

“More people have been coming to this place since Sunday in search of their loved ones who had come to purchase items in the market. They claimed they last heard from them on Wednesday when the incident happened,” a shop owner in the market, Wunmi Olabisi, told PUNCH Metro.

See also  Trump cuts India tariffs, says Modi will halt Russian oil imports

Emergency responders have continued excavation and search efforts amid growing anxiety from families awaiting information on missing relatives.

PUNCH Metro had earlier reported that no fewer than 20 individuals were still trapped under the rubble.

Relatives who spoke to our correspondent in separate interviews on Sunday also provided names and photographs of their affected loved ones.

The identified victims include Elo Chukwu, Omeigbo Chuwuebuka, Omeigbo Chukwudubem, Kayode Omoniyi, Ikechukwudi Asobi and Murphy Aborinwa.

Others are Onyeka Obinwa, Mercy Ukamaka, and Taofeeq Opera, as well as a trader identified as Chiding and two of his boys.

The remaining trapped persons include several other market assistants whose identities could not be ascertained.

Reacting to the incident, the Shitta-Bey family of Lagos, owners of the GNI Building, expressed deep sorrow over the fire incident that recently gutted the high-rise structure, describing it as a tragic occurrence.

In a statement made available to PUNCH Metro on Tuesday, the family said its thoughts and prayers were with the victims and their families affected by the incident.

The family assured the public that it was working closely with relevant authorities to ensure that affected individuals received the necessary support and assistance.

“The Shitta-Bey family of Lagos, the owner of Shitta-Bey Court, popularly called GNI Building, is deeply saddened by the recent fire accident in our high-rise building.

“Our hearts go out to the victims and their families affected by this tragic incident. We want to assure the public and residents that the family is working closely with authorities to ensure that affected individuals receive all necessary support and assistance.

See also  Foundation donates ward to Lagos hospital

“We urge everyone to disregard any false narratives or misinformation being spread by the former tenant/caretaker, Great Nigeria Insurance Ltd (GNI), under whose management the building got burnt in November 2013 but was left in a dangerous state for almost six years until the family, pursuant to the Order of the High Court of Lagos State dated the 31st day of October, 2019, recovered possession from the company and rehabilitated the building.”

The family further reassured residents and stakeholders that the building was adequately insured and pledged its commitment to restoring the structure, including the mosque within the premises, while ensuring the safe return of all residents.

It added that updates would be provided as more information became available.

punch.ng

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  INC protests over Fubara impeachment plot

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Jonathan safe, out of Guinea-Bissau – FG
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  Trump cuts India tariffs, says Modi will halt Russian oil imports

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  FRSC introduces contactless driver’s license system

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending