Connect with us

News

Investigation uncovers Col who plotted Tinubu’s ouster

Published

on

•Interim report reveals military officers targeted President, VP, ministers, and key installations; arrests ongoing

An interim investigation report into the alleged coup plot against President Bola Tinubu’s government has revealed that a clandestine network of military officers coordinated by an Army Colonel (name withheld) had planned the takeover, with funding, recruitment, and operational planning traced directly to him.

The report, sighted by The PUNCH on Tuesday, indicated that the Army officer, whose repeated failures in promotion reportedly fuelled his disaffection, mobilised like-minded officers across the Army, Navy, and Air Force, assigning them to survey critical national installations, including the Presidential Villa, major barracks, and international airports.

In October 2025, the DHQ announced the arrest of 16 officers over acts of indiscipline and breaches of service regulations.

Shortly after, Sahara Reporters reported that the officers — ranging from the rank of Captain to Brigadier General — were arrested by the Defence Intelligence Agency for holding secret meetings to topple the government, and linked the alleged plot to the cancellation of the October 1 Independence Day parade.

At the time, the then Director of Defence Information, Brigadier General Tukur Gusau (retd.), dismissed the report as an attempt to create tension and distrust, stating that the matter was a purely internal disciplinary issue.

He said an investigative panel had been constituted and that its findings would be made public.

Providing an update on Monday, the new Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, stated that a comprehensive investigation had now been concluded in accordance with established military procedures, and the report had been forwarded to the appropriate superior authority.

In the interim investigation report, the indicted Colonel was described as the alleged coordinator of the plot.

Investigators said the planned coup went beyond “casual dissent” and had entered the early stages of operational planning, including the covert surveillance of critical national assets such as the Presidential Villa, Armed Forces Complex, Niger Barracks, Abuja, and Lagos international airports.

See also  Nigerian man and Thai woman arrested with drugs in India

According to the report, the plot was uncovered following intelligence on “disgruntled elements within the Armed Forces of Nigeria and the civil populace,” leading to arrests, interrogations, and link analysis that exposed a structured conspiracy aimed at a coup d’état.

The report states that the Army officer, who reportedly failed promotion exams twice, “harnessed these grievances to recruit like-minded officers,” openly lamenting his stagnation and expressing the need to “change government.”

According to the report, searches conducted on his vehicle reportedly uncovered charms and anti-government materials, while a raid on his residence in Lokogoma, Apo, yielded “very sensitive documents,” including assigned roles to principal actors and notes identifying how “key national dignitaries” were to be handled during the operation.

“Multiple testimonies implicate Col (name withheld) as the coordinator of the conspiracy. He has been identified so far as the source of funding, recruitment, and motivation, openly lamenting his stagnation in promotion and expressing the need to ‘change government.’

“Several officers involved in the plot describe him as the figure who provided financial inducements and justification.

“Meanwhile, search of his vehicle revealed several charms and write-ups such as the NUPENG strike action and other anti-government write-ups.

“Similarly, a search on his residence at Lokogoma, Apo, revealed very sensitive documents which included allocation of responsibilities to some of the principal actors.

“Also, key national dignitaries were earmarked to be handled by respective principal actors,” the report stated.

The PUNCH, on Monday, had reported how the coup plotters infiltrated the Presidential Villa and compromised the staff of construction giants, Julius Berger, to get some security information of the premises.

The Defence Headquarters on Monday said personnel indicted after investigations into alleged misconduct by some military officers, which uncovered claims of a plot to overthrow the government, would be arraigned before an appropriate military judicial panel.

See also  Tinubu posts three ambassador-designates to France, US, UK

The 16 officers reported to be in custody were Brig Gen M. A. Sadiq, Col M. A. Maaji, Lt Col S. Bappah, Lt Col A.A. Hayatu, Lt Col P. Dangnap, Lt Col M. Almakura, Maj A. J. Ibrahim, Maj M. M. Jiddah, Maj M.A. Usman, Maj D. Yusuf, Capt I. Bello, Capt A.A. Yusuf, Lt S.S. Felix, Lt Cdr D.B. Abdullahi, Sqn Ldr S.B. Adamu, and Maj I. Dauda.

Most of the suspects are of northern extraction, with the exception of Capt Yusuf, who hails from Osun State.

The foiled coup was allegedly set for October 25, 2025, and was planned to be fatal, with the President, Vice President Kashim Shettima, ministers, service chiefs, and other notable government officials marked for elimination.

The country’s security establishment, however, uncovered what investigators described as a coordinated and well-funded plot by serving military officers to undermine constituted authority and potentially seize power, with intelligence linking the conspiracy to a clandestine network spanning the Army, Navy, and Air Force.

According to investigators, financial inducements ranging from N2m to N5m were distributed to some principal actors, while encrypted communication platforms were used to coordinate logistics.

Investigators further traced financial inducements allegedly disbursed by the Colonel to some officers for “logistics and possible mobilisation,” with intelligence pointing to the involvement of at least one major financier now under investigation.

A detailed financial trail, according to the report, was being analysed with the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit.

One of the suspects, Lt Col Bappah, emerged as a critical witness, the report stated.

The report noted that Bappah was “cooperating fully,” having admitted his role and provided details on funding flows, recruitment methods, and communication channels.

See also  Presidency backs EFCC on Atiku’s son-in-law hunt

His testimony, investigators said, had strengthened the case and offered rare insight into the group’s modus operandi.

Encrypted messaging platforms, including WhatsApp and Zangi, were allegedly used to coordinate activities, while discreet vehicle repairs and fund movements suggested what investigators described as “early-stage logistical preparations.”

The interim assessment warned that the threat was elevated by the cross-service nature of the network, the involvement of senior officers up to the rank of Brigadier-General, and the identification of strategic installations for seizure — hallmarks, the report says, of deliberate coup-style planning.

While full investigations continued and more suspects were being tracked, security sources said the findings justified swift preventive action to dismantle the network, secure sensitive locations, and cut off funding lines sustaining the alleged plot.

“The threat posed was clear and immediate,” the report concluded, adding that failure to act could have had “grave implications for national stability.”

Security agencies are also reportedly examining alleged political linkages surrounding the uncovered coup plot within the Armed Forces, with sources confirming that the name of a former minister surfaced in the course of ongoing intelligence reviews.

However, no formal charge had been filed against the former minister, and no arrest warrant had been issued, as he had been outside the country for a while.

Security sources told The PUNCH that the probe had expanded beyond serving military officers to include civilian contacts, financiers, and political associates who may have had direct or indirect interactions with key suspects.

“The investigation is not limited to uniforms alone,” one source said.

“We are looking at communication trails, financial flows, and political interfaces. That does not mean guilt; it means due diligence,” he added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Electoral Act could cause chaos, don’t sign it, ex-INEC commissioner urges Tinubu

Published

on

A former Independent National Electoral Commission’s Resident Electoral Commissioner, Mike Igini, has called on President Bola Tinubu to withhold assent on the recently passed Electoral Act (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026, describing it as “a recipe for chaos” that could undermine Nigeria’s democracy.

Igini made the call on Wednesday during an interview on Arise Television following the Senate’s passage of the bill, which included contentious provisions under Clause 60 on electronic transmission of results.

“It is indeed my humble recommendation to Mr President that you are a man of history. You were a senior man to very many of us in the struggle at the time when the journey of Nigeria and the prospect of democracy was less certain,” he said.

He further reminded the president of the 2015 struggle to ensure elections reflect the people’s will.

“And also remember that, at a time when the PDP was in office and when we were in office, and they were saying that there was going to be a federal might, some of us stood out to say no.

“In 2015, it’s going to be the might of people, not federal might, but the might of the people through the ballot that should determine what will happen.

“You should be a man of history, what is put before you take it back, don’t sign it,” Igini said.

The Senate had on Tuesday passed the Electoral Act 2022 (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026 after tense deliberations.

The session saw opposition from Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, who demanded a division on Clause 60(3), proposing that manual forms should not serve as a fallback if electronic transmission fails. After a vote, 55 senators supported the proviso while 15 opposed it.

See also  Soludo closes Onitsha market for one week, see why

Turning to the judiciary, Igini warned that courts have historically failed to protect voters and uphold democracy.

“The greatest option that we have is the judiciary that must stand tall and mighty in defence of democracy and the rule of law. Were it not for the judiciary, we would not be where we are today,” he said.

He also stressed past failures, saying, “I have all the records of failures. When it comes to elections, the judiciary has not done well. In fact, the Nigerian people now see my constituency as a veritable conspiracy against them because they have never given effect to it.”

Igini also criticised the Senate’s handling of the bill, citing the reversal of Clause 60 provisions that originally mandated real-time electronic transmission of polling unit results.

“Look at what has happened…Today, no primary in Nigeria because Supreme Court struck down the party direction that was issued in line with Section 29 of the Act,” he said.

Igini had earlier warned in a Sunday statement that many National Assembly members risk losing their seats if mandatory real-time electronic transmission is not guaranteed.

He stressed that for democracy to thrive, the judiciary must enforce due process and protect voters’ rights: “The way forward is for the judiciary to stand tall and mighty in defence of due process because what we are seeing now is not what is expected.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Data privacy issues threaten Nigeria’s financial inclusion

Published

on

Growing concerns over data privacy and security are emerging as a significant barrier to Nigeria’s financial inclusion drive, despite years of investment in connectivity and digital infrastructure.

While policymakers and industry stakeholders have long focused on expanding broadband access, mobile penetration, and fintech innovation, experts now argue that trust — particularly around how personal data is collected, stored, and used — may determine whether millions of Nigerians join the formal financial system.

In 2012, the Central Bank of Nigeria set a target to reduce the country’s adult financial exclusion rate to 20 per cent by 2020 under its National Financial Inclusion Strategy. However, the exclusion rate stood at 36 per cent in 2020, according to the regulator’s 2022 report, underscoring persistent gaps in access and adoption.

Industry leaders say the challenge is no longer primarily about infrastructure.

“Increasing connectivity is essential, but it is only a prerequisite,” the Chief Commercial Officer at Optasia, Uchenna Agbo, said. “True inclusion requires meaningful participation, and that depends on trust.”

Across major commercial hubs such as Balogun Market, traders who rely heavily on cash transactions often remain hesitant to adopt digital financial services. Although many own mobile phones and are aware of mobile money platforms, concerns about fraud, account hacking, and misuse of personal information continue to discourage uptake.

Stories of compromised accounts and data leaks have circulated widely, reinforcing fears among small business owners that using digital systems could expose sensitive personal and financial information.

For many low-income earners, privacy risks are seen not as abstract regulatory issues but as threats to livelihoods.

See also  Fuel scarcity looms as NUPENG begins nationwide strike Monday

The issue has gained renewed prominence following the enactment of the Nigeria Data Protection Act and the establishment of the Nigeria Data Protection Commission, which is tasked with enforcing data protection standards and promoting responsible data practices across sectors.

Analysts say regulatory frameworks are necessary but insufficient on their own. They argue that financial service providers must move beyond compliance and embed privacy protections into the design of products and services, a model often referred to as “privacy-by-design”.

“Data privacy should not be treated as a compliance obligation or a technical feature added at the end of development,” Agbo said. “It must be seen as core infrastructure, as fundamental as the networks and platforms that deliver the services.”

Optasia, which operates in 38 countries and serves more than 120 million monthly active users globally, says lessons from other markets show that trust directly influences digital adoption rates, particularly among underbanked populations.

Consumer advocates note that for low-income users, the consequences of privacy breaches can be severe. Misuse of biometric data, unauthorised sharing of financial histories, or predatory lending practices enabled by data analytics can undermine confidence and deter participation in formal systems.

Continue Reading

News

Gombe gov unveils major projects, new LCDA secretariats

Published

on

Gombe State Governor, Muhammadu Yahaya, on Tuesday, hosted his Yobe State counterpart, Mai Mala Buni, and the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Political and Other Matters, Ibrahim Masari, for the inauguration of major projects and the groundbreaking of new Local Council Development Areas secretariats.

Among the projects inaugurated were the new Nafada Local Government Secretariat, the Nafada four-span bridge, and a mega non-formal learning centre (Tsangaya School), all described as strategic interventions aimed at boosting governance and socio-economic development in Nafada and adjoining communities.

The new secretariat replaces a dilapidated structure that had long hindered effective service delivery, while the four-span bridge resolves years of seasonal inaccessibility that cut off communities during the rainy season.

The Tsangaya School is designed to integrate Almajiri children into a structured and supportive learning system.

Masari, on his part, inaugurated the 7.5-kilometre Kwanan Rugaji–Almakashi Road, with a spur to Gargaldu, linking Funakaye Local Government Area of Gombe State to neighbouring communities in Yobe State. The road is expected to ease transportation challenges and stimulate economic activities in the area.

He also inaugurated a 66-shop ultra-modern commercial complex in Bajoga, named after the late Emir Muhammadu Kwairanga, to enhance commerce and provide a conducive business environment for traders.

At the foundation-laying ceremonies for the Funakaye South LCDA in Tongo and the Nafada South LCDA in Birin Fulani, Yahaya said the creation of 13 LCDAs was a deliberate move to deepen grassroots governance.

“Today marks another significant milestone in our journey to deepen democracy and accelerate development at the grassroots.

See also  US Congressman; Riley Moore meets Ribadu, others, says religious violence must stop

“The foundation laying for Funakaye South LCDA and Nafada South LCDA is a direct outcome of our administration’s decision to create 13 Local Council Development Areas.

“These LCDAs are designed to institutionalise meaningful development and bring governance closer to our people. Our vision is clear: in due course, they will metamorphose into full-fledged local government areas as we strengthen their structures and capacities,” the governor stated.

He disclosed that subsequent local council elections would be conducted simultaneously with the LCDAs to enhance their democratic legitimacy.

Yahaya said the state drew inspiration from the success of development areas in Lagos State, commending President Bola Tinubu for pioneering the model during his tenure as governor.

“That visionary step has continued to yield dividends, and we are confident Gombe State will record even greater success with this initiative,” he stated.

In his remarks, Buni commended Yahaya for what he described as bold and strategic initiatives to strengthen local governance.

He urged residents to continue supporting the administration and called for sustained prayers for peace and development across Gombe, Northern Nigeria and the country at large.

Speaking during the road inauguration, Masari applauded the state government for aligning its development blueprint with the Federal Government’s Renewed Hope Agenda, describing the projects as evidence of prudent resource management and responsible leadership.

Earlier, the Director-General of the Gombe State Joint Project Development Agency, Mahmood Yusuf, gave an overview of the projects being jointly executed by the state and local governments, assuring quality delivery and timely completion.

During the visit, the governor and his guests paid homage to the Emir of Funakaye and the Emir of Nafada, both of whom commended the administration’s developmental strides and pledged continued support.

See also  KWAM1 loses bid to block Awujale selection process

At the Funakaye Emirate, Buni was conferred with the traditional title of “Dikuman Funakaye,” while Masari received the title “Dan Saran Funakaye.”

Similarly, the Emir of Nafada honoured Buni and Masari with the titles of “Muqaddas” and “Dan Sarari of Nafada,” respectively.

Continue Reading

Trending