Connect with us

Lifestyle

Five things to watch out for on Grammys night Sunday

Published

on

Grammys night is sure to deliver top-notch performances, in-your-face fashion, a few poignant moments — and maybe even some music history.

Here are five things to watch out for on Sunday in Los Angeles:

– New Album of the Year winner? –

Perhaps the most coveted Grammy is the Album of the Year, and this year’s winner could make history in several ways.

None of the eight nominees — Kendrick Lamar, Lady Gaga, Bad Bunny, Sabrina Carpenter, R&B singer Leon Thomas, Tyler the Creator, hip-hop duo Clipse (Pusha T and Malice) and pop superstar Justin Bieber — has ever won in the category before.

If Lamar’s “GNX” takes the title, he will be the first male solo rapper to triumph in the category. Only rappers Lauryn Hill and duo OutKast have come before him.

If Bad Bunny takes the prize for “Debi Tirar Mas Fotos,” it will be the first time a Spanish-language album receives the top honor.

– Song of the Year: multilingual battle –

Three of the eight nominees for Song of the Year, another main award, are not entirely in English — a major shift.

“Golden,” the wildly popular hit song from Netflix animated film “KPop Demon Hunters,” and “APT” from Blackpink singer Rose and Bruno Mars, have taken the music world by storm with their lyrics in English and Korean.

A Grammy for either one would mark the first bilingual song to take the award for songwriting.

If Bad Bunny wins for his Caribbean-infused “DTMF,” it would be a first for a Spanish-language song.

See also  The History of Pounded Yam in Ekiti State: A Cultural Heritage Beyond Food

– For host Noah, sixth time is a charm –

South African comedian Trevor Noah will be back to host the Grammys for a sixth time — and organizers say it will be his last.

The 41-year-old Noah made his hosting debut on music’s biggest night in 2021, at a scaled-down gala in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic.

The biracial funnyman has offered a mix of political satire and light-hearted showbiz banter, and has generally earned decent reviews for his efforts.

“His impact on the show has been truly spectacular, and we can’t wait to do it together one last time,” the show’s executive producer Ben Winston told The Hollywood Reporter.

– Bieber takes the stage –

Among the stars already confirmed to perform at Crypto.com Arena is Justin Bieber, who is up for four awards including Album of the Year for “Swag,” his first studio album in four years, which he dropped in a surprise move last July.

The 31-year-old pop superstar has been battling Ramsay Hunt syndrome, a rare neurological condition that partially paralyzed his face, which forced him to cancel the final leg of a world tour last year.

Bieber — who first shot to stardom as a teenager in 2009 — is scheduled to headline this year’s Coachella festival in the California desert in April.

Lady Gaga, Sabrina Carpenter and Clipse are also scheduled to perform, organizers say.

– New categories –

The Recording Academy awards dozens of prizes each year. This year, they have added two more — and subtracted one — for a whopping total of 95.

See also  The History and Heritage of Sepeteri: An Ancient Yoruba Town in Oke-Ogun, Oyo State

A new award for best traditional country album has been added, after some in Nashville felt that the more modern pop-country sound was drowning out artists with a more pure country sound.

The former best country album is now called best contemporary country album.

The other new category is best album cover.

“These additions further the Recording Academy’s commitment to recognizing a broader spectrum of artistic craft and honoring the evolving ways music is created and experienced,” the academy says.

Two existing categories — best recording package and best boxed or special limited edition package – have been consolidated into one category, best recording package.

AFP

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Rest every four hours, FRSC issues safety guide for fasting motorists

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps, on Friday, urged motorists who are participating in the fasting periods, to ensure that they take rest at intervals, to avoid road crashes.

The FRSC Commander in-charge of the Sagamu-Ore-Benin Expressway corridor, Mr Nasir Mohammed, gave the advice in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Ota.

He noted that the advice had become expedient following the commencement of fasting periods by both Christian and Muslim faithfuls.

NAN reports that Catholic faithfuls had commenced lenten season with the distribution of Ash on Wednesday, which period is marked by 40 days fasting.

In the same vein, Muslim faithfuls had also began observation of Ramadan in the Islamic calendar, which period is also marked by fasting.

Mohammed urged motorists to be cautious of fatigue and possible dehydration during the fasting periods, and ensure that they take hours of rest before returning to the steering.

He also warned motorists against over speeding and wrongful overtaking, which could lead to tragedy, adding that drivers must strictly adhere to all safety rules while on the road.

“We are appealing to motorists, especially Muslims and Christians who are fasting, to always observe the rest after every four hours of driving, to prevent avoidable loss of lives.

“Also, all motorists are enjoined to drive to stay alive; Wishing all safer roads and fuller life.” he said.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Oba Abdul-Lateef Adeniran Akanni (Obaarun-Oladekan I): The Olofin Adimula of Ado-Odo
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Alleged rape: Nigerian Tiktoker admitted in Ogun health facility

Published

on

Ogun State Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, Adijat Adeleye has disclosed that the Nigerian Tiktoker, simply identified as Mirable, has been admitted to a State-owned health facility, and is currently receiving comprehensive medical attention.

Adeleye added that an investigation had begun and the survivor is presently receiving psychosocial support, and is responding positively to medical treatment.

The commissioner stated this on Thursday night shortly after visiting the survivor at the health facility, in the company of the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, and the Medical Director of the facility.

According to her, the visit was aimed at assessing the survivor’s condition and ensuring that appropriate medical and welfare interventions were promptly administered.

The Commissioner praised the personnel at the State-owned medical facility and the State Ministry of Justice for their quick response, as well as the Nigeria Police Force and Ogun State Police Command for their rapid and timely action as soon as the case was transferred to the State.

“This structured approach is intended to protect the survivor’s welfare while guaranteeing that investigations are conducted professionally, thoroughly, and strictly on the basis of verifiable evidence”, Adeleye said.

She added that detailed examinations and all required clinical procedures are being carried out in line with established standards for managing cases of alleged sexual assault, while the security agency is carrying out their investigation simultaneously.

“The welfare, dignity, and safety of every survivor remains our utmost priority. The Prince Dapo Abiodun led- administration maintains a zero-tolerance stance on sexual and gender-based violence, stressing that “while we stand firmly with survivors, we are equally guided by due process.

See also  Chief Ladipo Solanke: The Nigerian Nationalist Who United West African Students in the Fight for Freedom

“Investigations must be evidence-based, transparent, and fair to all parties involved, even as whosoever is found wanting would be made to face the full wrath of the law,” she said.

She urged residents to steer clear of speculative narratives or sensational commentary that could compromise due process while assuring them that the State Government would get to the bottom of the issue to ascertain the veracity of the claim.

Meanwhile, she assured members of the public that further updates would be communicated at the appropriate time as credible findings emerge from ongoing investigations.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Rape allegation not true – Mirabel finally opens up

Published

on

Nigerian TikToker, known simply as Mirabel has finally opened up on the allegation of rape she earlier raised in a viral video.

It was recalls that the content creator, with the username @mirab351 had, alleged that she was sexually assaulted by an unknown man at her residence in Ogun State.

She claimed that the alleged rapist inflicted an injury on her privates with a blade.

Her story generated reactions across social media, causing the Nigeria Police to swing into action.

Some netizens, however, expressed scepticism on the factuality of the allegation, stating that the stories were not adding up.

But the Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, said on Thursday that the command was investigating the matter.

However, Mirabel, who opened up to Popular social media activist, Martins Otse, widely known as VeryDarkMan, VDM said she had been into drugs and could be hallucinating.

 

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Chief Ladipo Solanke: The Nigerian Nationalist Who United West African Students in the Fight for Freedom
Continue Reading

Trending