Connect with us

News

Akwa Ibom CJ frees 63 more inmates

Published

on

The Chief Judge of Akwa Ibom State, Ekaete Fabian F-Obot, has effected the release of 63 additional inmates from Uyo Custodial Centre, as she concluded her tour of correctional centres across the state.

The latest addition brings the number of freed inmates this year to 100, an unprecedented figure, having released 37 from Ikot Abasi, Eket and Ikot Ekpene custodian centres last week.

The release of the 63 inmates followed a careful review of their cases, including input from the Director of Public Prosecution, court clerks, and medical personnel within the correctional system.

A statement obtained from the judiciary press unit on Wednesday said 24 inmates out of the number were discharged on special grounds, while 39 were pardoned on compassionate grounds, including missing case files, trumped-up charges, and lack of diligent prosecution.

Among the special cases were 20 inmates suffering from serious health conditions, including one Godwin Francis Etim, who, battling tuberculosis, was referred to the Infectious Disease Hospital in Ikot Ekpene for treatment.

Also released to access special care was a pregnant inmate in her final trimester, facing medical complications beyond the facility’s capacity.

Another notable case was that of one Magdalene Bassey Edet, whose situation highlighted the importance of regular inspection.

According to the statement, she had been convicted by two different courts on separate charges arising from the same offence.

Having already completed a 10-year sentence, she was serving an additional two-year term for the same matter, having been convicted by another court while serving the 10-year term.

See also  Senate suspension row: Akpabio drags Natasha to Supreme Court

In granting her release, the CJ acknowledged the report of her good conduct and placed her on probation for the remaining two years, requiring her to report every three months.

“Go and sin no more and don’t indulge in acts that will bring you back here,” the CJ warned.

Among those released on other grounds were four inmates whose cases could not proceed due to missing files, reportedly linked to the prolonged illness of a prosecutor absent for about three years.

Six others were found to have been wrongfully charged.

One such case involved Idara Christopher Kingsley, who had been detained in place of her husband after reporting a machete assault against her.

Her husband was wanted in connection with a fight involving family members, but she was arrested instead.

The chief judge urged all released inmates to maintain good conduct and refrain from returning to crime.

“I urge you all to maintain good conduct and not to indulge in criminal activities that will bring you back here,” the CJ added.

She criticised the practice by some police officers of obtaining remand orders and abandoning cases without returning to court after the stipulated 21 days.

She also advised magistrates to take proactive steps by fixing dates to strike out such cases and notify relevant parties, emphasising that cases should be struck out where there is a failure to follow due process.

Welcoming the CJ to the facility, the Officer in Charge, DCC Ezekiel Inyang, described the visit as timely, noting that the custodial centre was grappling with severe overcrowding.

See also  Akpabio, Yilwatda challenge Nigerians to monitor governors on hardship

He revealed that the facility, built in 1912, is significantly overstretched, with over 1,600 inmates.

He recounted the impact of a recent windstorm accompanied by heavy rainfall on Tuesday, February 17, which damaged three cell blocks and brought down part of the perimeter fence, plunging the facility into disarray.

He, however, said there were no casualties, nor were there escapees.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Germany deports 137 Nigerians in five chartered flights

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Senate suspension row: Akpabio drags Natasha to Supreme Court
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Jigawa welcomes collaboration to empower vulnerable women

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending