Connect with us

News

Yakubu Gowon revealed that the East was misled over Aburi Accord

Published

on

Former Head of State, Gen Yakubu Gowon (retd.), has blamed the late Biafran leader, Lt Col Odumegwu Ojukwu, for the failure of the landmark Aburi accord of January 1967.

He accused the secessionist leader of attending the peace meeting in Ghana with pre-prepared positions and misrepresenting the outcome of the discussions to the people of the Eastern Region.

Gowon also said Ojukwu had been secretly building up arms while mocking him as a “Bible-carrying” officer who would never fight.

The revelations are contained in Chapter Nine of Gowon’s 859-page autobiography, ‘My Life of Duty and Allegiance,’ titled ‘Aburi and Our Road to Nowhere,’ obtained by our correspondent at the book’s launch in Abuja on Tuesday.

In the 37-page chapter, which was both his historical account and a personal reckoning of the meeting, Gowon blamed Ojukwu’s conduct in the months before the Aburi meeting.

He said, “Ojukwu deliberately and effectively thwarted every effort we made to amicably resolve all vexing national issues. He refused to meet with other members of the SMC (Supreme Military Council) in Benin, the capital of the Mid-West Region, which we all knew was neutral in the brewing crisis.

“He was not favourably disposed to any proposed meeting, whether in the air aboard a BOAC aircraft, the Royal Navy Cruiser, or any neutral carrier.

“He declined about every proposition and dismissed invitations to meet with me and other members of the Supreme Military Council ‘anywhere in Nigeria where there are Northern troops.’”

Gowon wrote that at a purely personal level, he was certain Ojukwu was playing a mind game with him, driven not by genuine regional grievances but by personal ambition, an ambition for which, he said, the crisis had become a convenient justification.

He recalled being told by the Attorney-General of Nigeria, Dr Taslim Elias, that Ojukwu had, while at Oxford, authored a paper strongly arguing that future power in Africa lay with the military.

Gowon also recounted how Ojukwu privately dismissed him to his subordinates in the lead-up to the Aburi meeting.

“He only saw me as a Bible-thumping ‘Jack’ who, before anything else, would pick up his Bible and pray rather than stand up to fight.

“He liked to say, more or less: ‘Oh, Jack Gowon! He’s only a staff officer who never commanded troops; he’s no threat; he’ll never fight. Do you know what he carries first in his suitcase? It is only the Bible!” he wrote.

The Aburi meeting, Gowon wrote, was brokered after Ojukwu eventually softened his stance following entreaties by the United Nations, the Commonwealth and several friendly countries.

See also  United States Orders Embassy Staff Out Of Abuja, Flags 23 Nigerian States As Danger Zones

Both sides had agreed that participants would be only the principal military officers in government, with no set positions to constrain the discussions.

The objective was purely exploratory, to break the ice, remove the veil of suspicion and engender trust, he noted.

But according to Gowon, the first signs of trouble became visible shortly after the Nigerian delegation arrived in Accra.

He writes, “I was reliably informed that a phalanx of civil servants from the Eastern Region had accompanied Ojukwu to Aburi.

“This certainly was against the spirit of our prior agreement that the meeting be made a strictly military affair. I was not perturbed by the blatant breach of our gentleman’s agreement.

“I told the officials who accompanied us not to worry because we would stick to what I had agreed with Ojukwu to make Aburi happen.”

He said the breaches continued inside the meeting room itself, as barely had the session been called to order when Ojukwu produced a fundamental aide memoire that had been purposely prepared in utter disregard of their said initial agreement.

“To avoid causing the meeting to be deadlocked before it got off the ground, I decided against insisting on the agreement or reminding him of our word against set positions.

“Doing either would have brought all our efforts over the past few months to nought. Instead, I made a joke that he had brought his ‘Pink Papers,’” he narrated.

Gowon wrote that even as Ojukwu moved the motion that all parties renounce the use of force, a motion the SMC was happy to endorse, he and his colleagues were well aware it was a delaying tactic designed to buy time for a secret arms build-up that had already suffered a setback.

“We were also mindful that he had cleverly planned to apply the brakes on our ability to deploy the numerical advantage of the existing firepower of the Nigerian Army in the event of an immediate outbreak of hostilities.

“We knew he was compelled to buy time because his surreptitious arms build-up had suffered a serious setback in October 1966 with the crash in the hills of Northern Cameroons of the DC-4 aircraft with which he had hoped to smuggle in a cache of arms,” said Gowon.

By May 1967, at a meeting in Enugu with a National Conciliation Committee delegation comprising  Obafemi Awolowo, Prof Samuel Aluko, Jereton Mariere and J.I.C. Onyia, Ojukwu, he stated, dropped all pretence, declaring that the East had attained equality of arms.

Gowon quoted him directly, stating, “‘Quietly I built up. If you do not know it, I am proud, and my officers are proud, that here in the East we possess the biggest army in Black Africa. I am no longer speaking as an underdog; I am speaking from a position of power.’”

See also  US announces drug and terrorism charges against captured Venezuelan President Maduro

“I did not believe Ojukwu’s play to the gallery; I only said to myself that we would see about that,” Gowon added.

The morning of January 6, 1967, the day after the delegation returned to Nigeria, Gowon said he was roused from a sick bed by a call from Mid-West Governor David Ejoor, who asked if he had listened to Ojukwu’s broadcast on the outcome of their meeting.

The former Head of State argued that what Ojukwu told the people of the Eastern Region bore no resemblance to what had been agreed in Ghana.

Among other things, he told them that the SMC had agreed to partition Nigeria so that each region could, from that point, go its separate way.

He quoted Ojukwu as declaring in the broadcast, “Politically, it was unanimously agreed that it was in the interest of the safety of this nation that the regions should move slightly further apart than before.”

Gowon further explained, “First, it should be remembered that Gen Ironsi had, by the Unification Decree No. 34 of 1966, decreed Nigeria a unified country and government. That Decree created a lot of fears everywhere in Nigeria.

“The Midwest may have found it a bit non-threatening because the Region had always believed in one Nigeria. In the Eastern Region, everyone appeared to have warmly received it.

“This may have been because people from the region were the ones who advised Ironsi to carry through his programme and, consequently, were the ones in charge.”

According to him, the implementation of the Decree encouraged the posting of people from one part of the country to assume superior offices in other parts.

In the North, the Midwest and the West, the implementation of the decree further fuelled the fear of Eastern domination, Gowon said.

“On coming to power, I restored the federal system of government by abrogating the Unification Decree,” Gowon affirmed.

He noted that all other governors and SMC members present at Aburi, when asked whether Ojukwu’s statement reflected what was agreed, answered in the negative.

The Eastern governor, he writes, had merely amplified his own personal contribution at the meeting to the effect that “It is better that we move slightly apart and survive; it is much worse that we move closer and perish in the collision,” a position, Gowon argues, that was never the collective agreement.

“What Ojukwu said, therefore, merely conformed to his own personal agenda, not the agreed position at Aburi and not what the generality of Nigerians wanted.

See also  FG slams contractor over poor Keffi-Nasarawa road

“Records of the meeting did not support his stance either. If anything, the Governor of the Eastern Region had merely amplified his personal contribution at the meeting,” he stated.

Gowon said his incapacitation from illness meant he could not immediately make a counter-statement as they had agreed before leaving Aburi, allowing Ojukwu to set the narrative unchallenged.

According to the book, despite giving Ojukwu most of what he demanded through Decree No. 8 of March 17, 1967, which, Gowon writes, “completely decentralised the government of this country and even went further than the Republican Constitution as it existed before 15th January, 1966,” Ojukwu rejected the decree outright when he discovered it contained a no-secession clause.

“Although I had been advised to act quickly to consolidate our position, I chose to tread carefully so that it would not be seen or said that I goaded Ojukwu into taking a precipitate action.

“Already, our government had been accused of harassing the Igbo, so I did not want us to be further accused of stampeding them into believing that they had no home of their own in Nigeria.

“Ojukwu’s shock further betrayed his ambition and gave birth to further defiance that was captured by his new slogan: ‘On Aburi We Stand!’ On my part, I harboured no illusions, so I responded: ‘And from Aburi you will fall,’” he said on page 270.

Gowon argued that what followed confirmed, in his view, that Ojukwu’s real objective had never been the implementation of Aburi but the achievement of a breakaway state.

He said Ojukwu recalled all federal civil servants from the Eastern Region, hijacked a Nigeria Airways commercial aircraft and converted it to bomb Lagos, Benin, Ibadan, Lokoja, Kaduna and Kano, stopped the Nigerian Railway from moving rolling stock from Port Harcourt, withheld all federal revenues, seized control of the police in the region, and ordered the detention of Shell Petroleum’s Managing Director, Mr Stanley Gray.

Gowon said about the Aburi meeting: “It is presumptuous to continue to believe that Aburi was a meeting of one genius with a league of dunderheads, as some historians have persistently struggled to present the conference.”

The book, running to 859 pages across 36 chapters, covers Gowon’s full life from his Angas origins in Plateau State through his military career, the Civil War, his ouster in 1975 and his years of exile abroad.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Tinubu has no plan to change Nigeria’s name, abolish Sharia law — Presidency 

Published

on

The Presidency has dismissed as false reports claiming that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu plans to initiate constitutional amendments aimed at changing Nigeria’s name to the “United States of Nigeria” and abolishing Sharia law in the northern region.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, described the viral report as fake and politically motivated.

According to the statement, the story was fabricated by “desperate politicians” seeking to create tension and political instability ahead of the next general elections.

“The Presidency wishes to inform Nigerians and state clearly that there is no truth to the viral fake story claiming that President Bola Tinubu seeks to carry out constitutional amendments that will change Nigeria’s name to the United States of Nigeria and abolish Sharia Law in the Northern region, among other claims,” the statement read.

The Presidency said the report falsely alleged that the administration intended to forward a constitutional amendment bill, reportedly code-named “Project True Federation,” to the National Assembly before the elections.

Onanuga stressed that President Tinubu has no such plan, explaining that constitutional amendments in Nigeria follow a strict legal and legislative process that cannot be undertaken unilaterally by the president

“President Tinubu has no plan whatsoever to send any bill code-named Project True Federation to the National Assembly by December 15, a few weeks before the general election.

“The process of amending the constitution is not at the President’s or the National Assembly’s whim. It is a task that requires a two-thirds majority in both chambers of the National Assembly and the concurrence of 24 State Houses of Assembly,” the statement added.

See also  PHOTOS: Fire guts Borno restaurant

According to the Presidency, Tinubu remains focused on economic reforms and governance rather than constitutional controversies, urging Nigerians to be cautious of misinformation and divisive content, especially as political activities intensify ahead of the elections.

“President Tinubu is focused on the arduous task of entrenching and deepening the economic reforms his administration has embarked upon. He is focused on delivering more tangible dividends to Nigerians.

“Nigerians should be wary of consuming fake and divisive reports, which will proliferate as the nation begins political campaigns,” the statement added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Fayemi reveals how he pushed Obi to greet Tinubu at Vatican

Published

on

Former Ekiti State Governor Kayode Fayemi has revealed that he persuaded Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, to approach President Bola Tinubu for a handshake at the inauguration of Pope Leo XIV in Vatican City last May.

Fayemi made the disclosure in an interview on Edmund Obilo’s YouTube channel which was uploaded on Thursday, saying Obi had initially hesitated over fears the encounter would be misrepresented in the media.

The meeting had first come to public attention on 18 May 2025, when presidential aide Bayo Onanuga shared photographs of the three men on X during the ceremony.

Onanuga said Fayemi spotted Tinubu seated among other world leaders and urged Obi to join him in greeting the president. “Fayemi sighted President Tinubu, where he sat with other leaders and asked Obi to follow him to pay homage to the Nigerian leader. Obi agreed,” he posted.

Fayemi’s account in the interview largely corroborates Onanuga’s version but adds that Obi initially hesitated and had to be persuaded, a detail the presidential aide did not mention.

Fayemi said both he and Obi attended the papal inauguration as Catholics and had shared breakfast with Cardinal Lazarus that morning before making their way to the ceremony, where they were seated four rows behind the president.

“Peter and I are Catholics. We were at the Vatican for the inauguration of the new pope. We happened to have had breakfast the morning of inauguration with Cardinal Lazarus and we came from his apartment to the venue of the inauguration and we sat four rows behind the president. We were there before the president came with his team,” Fayemi said.

See also  United States Orders Embassy Staff Out Of Abuja, Flags 23 Nigerian States As Danger Zones

He said it was Minister of Foreign Affairs Bianca Ojukwu who first walked across from the presidential delegation to greet them, and that the moment gave him the opening to suggest they return the courtesy.

“The current minister of foreign affairs, Bianca Ojukwu, was on the president’s delegation and she came to say hello to us. And I felt, well, our president is there regardless of our politics. Peter, please let us go,” he said.

Fayemi said Obi was not immediately convinced, worried the moment could be weaponised against him in the press.

“He had his concern that this might be misused in the media. I said, Peter, it really didn’t matter. You are Catholic. You are a Nigerian. You are here. Our president has honoured us. He is even a Muslim. He is not a Catholic like you and I. So we could extend courtesies to him for doing this on behalf of all Nigerians to celebrate the pope,” Fayemi recalled.

He said Obi yielded and the two men walked up to the president together.

“Readily, Peter agreed. So we walked up to the president and I said, ‘Mr President, welcome to the Vatican. Thank you for honouring us with your presence,’” Fayemi narrated.

He said Tinubu responded swiftly and with humour.

“The president is quick-witted, you have got to give him some credit for that as well. He immediately retorted, ‘Kayode, what are you saying? I should be the one welcoming you because I am the leader of the Nigerian delegation,’” Fayemi said.

Obi then acknowledged the president’s position directly.

See also  LASG Addresses Makoko Demolition Concerns, Unveils $2m Redevelopment Initiative

“Peter kindly said to him, ‘Yes sir, you are our leader. So thank you for coming to Rome to honour us even though we are not part of your delegation, but you are our leader.’ So we joked about it and that was it,” Fayemi said.

The encounter ended there, with both parties going their separate ways as Tinubu proceeded to a state-by-state courtesy visit to Pope Leo XIV.

Asked whether it was the first time the two men had shaken hands since the bitterly contested 2023 election, Fayemi was measured.

“I wouldn’t know, but they shook hands there,” he said.

Fayemi and Obi are both devout Catholics and Papal Knights, an honour conferred by the Vatican on distinguished members of the Church.

The two men had attended the inauguration of Pope Francis at the same venue in 2013 as sitting governors. Obi recalled this in a statement on X after the ceremony.

Tinubu, a Muslim, told reporters after the mass that his attendance was in keeping with Nigeria’s unity in diversity.

He told members of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria, who were part of his delegation, “If we use our diversity not for adversity but for prosperity, the country’s hope is stability and progress.”

The photographs Onanuga shared on X drew reactions from supporters of both men, with some praising the exchange and others raising the 2023 election.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

MISSING GIRL FOUND – KINDLY SHARE

Published

on

Young Girl Found in Agege, Now at Dopemu Police Station

Authorities have confirmed that a young girl was found around Capitol Road in Agege Lagos State.

She is currently in the custody of officers at Dopemu Police Station.

According to police sources, the girl is unable to recall her name, her parents’ names, or provide any contact information. She was not carrying a phone at the time she was found.

The police are appealing to members of the public for assistance in identifying her. Anyone who recognizes the girl or has information about her family is urged to visit Dopemu Police Station or call 09025621914.

Officials emphasize that she is someone’s daughter and sister, and community support is vital in reuniting her with her family.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  United States Orders Embassy Staff Out Of Abuja, Flags 23 Nigerian States As Danger Zones
Continue Reading

Trending