Connect with us

News

What is in France? Unpacking Tinubu’s many trips

Published

on

Since assuming office in May 2023, President Bola Tinubu has made France a frequent destination, sparking curiosity and debate among Nigerians.

With at least eight visits to the European nation since March 2023, including seven as president, the question on many lips is: What is in France?

The Presidency on Thursday announced a 10-day working vacation starting today, September 4, 2025.

Tinubu’s trips to Paris, which range from diplomatic meetings to rumoured medical vacations, raise unanswered questions.

As for why Tinubu frequently visits France, several factors emerge from available information:

Diplomatic and Economic Ties

Tinubu’s visits often focus on strengthening Nigeria-France relations. Nigeria is France’s top trading partner in sub-Saharan Africa, with bilateral trade worth over $5 billion in 2023.

His state visit in November 2024, the first by a Nigerian leader in 24 years, aimed to boost investment in sectors like agriculture, energy, and infrastructure.

Strategic Meetings

Tinubu has utilised France as a base for important meetings. For example, his travel in April 2025 was called a “working visit” to review how his administration was doing in the middle of its term and prepare changes. He also reportedly used Paris as a meeting place for business and financial executives. Tinubu also met French President Emmanuel Macron during several visits, including in February 2025, before an African Union summit.

Medical Speculation

There is a lot of speculation, notably from critics, that Tinubu’s many trips may be for medical reasons. Several “private visits” (such in January 2024, August 2024, and February 2025) are thought to contain medical components, although they were officially described as diplomatic or personal.

See also  Shettima returns to Abuja after attending UNGA, meetings in Germany

The Presidency recently denied rumours that Tinubu is ill and is getting ready to be sent abroad for medical care. The Senior Special Assistant on Print Media, AbdulAziz AbdulAziz, told BBC Hausa that the Nigerian Institute for Investigative Journalism’s claims that the President was bedridden were false.

France’s African Strategy

France’s power in its old colonies (such Mali and Niger) because of competition from China and Russia is declining. Tinubu’s travels fit with France’s desire for economic ties, as French businesses like Danone and TotalEnergies are already doing business in Nigeria.

Personal Affinity

Tinubu apparently has a long-standing affection for France, visiting even before his presidency. By April 2025, he had spent at least 59 days in France during eight trips since assuming office in May 2023, more than any other country.

Tinubu’s trips show that Nigeria wants to be a player in the world arena, but the lack of openness behind some of them raises questions.  As the president keeps flying to Paris, the question is still: What is in France?

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Shettima returns to Abuja after attending UNGA, meetings in Germany

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  PHOTOS: Traders escape death as heavy duty truck falls in Umuahia Timber market

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Sheikh Gumi criticises US airstrikes in Nigeria, calls for alternative partners
Continue Reading

Trending