Connect with us

News

NMA conducts court-ordered checks on Kanu, submits report

Published

on

The Nigerian Medical Association has conducted the court-ordered health examinations on the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu.

The Secretary-General of the NMA, Dr. Ben Egbo, confirmed the development in an interview with our correspondent on Sunday.

The Federal High Court in Abuja  had on September 26 ordered the NMA to, within eight days, constitute a panel of medical experts to assess the health condition of Kanu.

In his ruling, Justice James Omotosho ordered the NMA President to submit the committee’s report within eight days for consideration on whether Kanu should be transferred to the National Hospital for treatment.

On Sunday, the NMA’s Secretary-General, Egbo, said the evaluation had been done as ordered by the court, adding that the report had been submitted to the Attorney General of the Federation.

Egbo said, “The court gave an order that we should do it. I think, within eight days, and immediately the Department of State Services wrote to us, we summoned a committee of seven doctors with one coordinator, making it eight.

“We had the seven doctors from the seven geopolitical zones of Nigeria with different fields of specialty in Ophthalmology, Neurology, Urology, Gastroenterology, and other various areas of specialty.

“They went there, examined him (Kanu), and the committee wrote their report to us, and it was sent to the Attorney General of the Federation.”

The judge’s ruling followed an application by Kanu to be moved from the custody of the Department of State Services to the National Hospital, over what he described as his failing health.

The judge directed that the committee, among other tasks, should assess the DSS hospital to confirm whether it has the capacity to meet Kanu’s health needs.

Justice Omotosho further ruled that the NMA committee would be at liberty to make use of any hospital in the country for its investigations.

See also  Sunday Igboho demands FG action as gunmen kill farmers in hometown

The General-Secretary emphasised that any further inquiries be directed to the Ministry of Justice.

“We have submitted the report to the Attorney General’s office as instructed. Anyone seeking details should contact the Ministry of Justice,” he added.

Meanwhile, Kanu, through his legal team, has petitioned the World Medical Association over what he described as serious health challenges and inadequate medical care while in the custody of the Department of State Services.

In a letter dated October 3, 2025, and signed by Kanu’s international counsel, Bruce Fein, on his behalf, and addressed to the WMA President, Dr. Jacqueline Kitulu, Kanu claimed that his health condition had deteriorated due to insufficient medical attention in detention.

He stated that he “has been detained in a Nigerian facility in solitary confinement for more than four years without a trial. He was arrested in Nairobi, Kenya, in June 2021.”

The letter, which was copied to the Registrar of the Federal High Court, Abuja; the Department of State Services; the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria; and the Nigerian Medical Association, said the situation had reached “a life-threatening threshold.”

It appealed to the WMA to engage with the NMA to ensure that Kanu receives “the highest professional standard of medical care” and that “his medical providers are allowed to work without intimidation or interference.”

Kanu also requested the WMA, directly or through the NMA, to review what he described as irregularities in his medical records while in DSS custody.

The letter further sought protection for independent medical practitioners “from any possible retaliation for providing medical care to Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.”

He demanded the release of the NMA medical team’s report of September 22, 2025, which the Federal High Court had directed to be filed within four days.

He warned that any delay could create “the real danger that a replacement panel may be assembled, thereby undermining the medical truth.”

See also  Charly Boy bus stop renamed Olamide (Baddo) Bus stop

According to the letter, Kanu’s health challenges reportedly began after his detention in Nairobi in June 2021.

“On arriving at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi, MNK was taken into custody by masked operatives and held for eight days in a confined room,” he wrote in the letter.

He said he was allegedly denied food, water, and prescribed medications for the first five days, leading to breathing difficulties and weakness.

“On the fifth day, when his body began to fail, a doctor was summoned. His blood pressure was dangerously high. MNK was given a 40mg dose of Amlodipine along with a red-coloured liquid,” the letter stated.

Kanu said his treatment in Kenya left him “physically weakened” by the time of his transfer to Nigeria.

In the DSS facility in Abuja, blood analysis allegedly revealed “a critical potassium deficiency,” prompting a series of medical prescriptions that reportedly failed to stabilize his condition.

“Whenever potassium supplements were withdrawn, MNK’s levels dropped again to the same life-threatening range,” he claimed, adding that a South African laboratory confirmed the deficiency.

He further alleged inconsistencies in his medical test results under one of the physicians assigned to him in custody.

“From the moment he assumed control, the doctor began recording normal potassium levels when in reality they were low,” he wrote.

Under what he described as inadequate care, Kanu reportedly continued to experience nosebleeds, fainting spells, chest pains, headaches, and swelling of the feet.

“Over 50 blood samples have been taken during MNK’s time in DSS custody, but these have yielded no improvement in his health under the management of the assigned doctors,” the letter stated.

He praised Emeritus Professor Martin Aghaji, a respected surgeon, for stabilising his condition when he was eventually allowed to intervene.

“It is no exaggeration to say that without Emeritus Professor Martin Aghaji’s intervention, my health would have deteriorated beyond recovery,” Kanu was quoted as saying.

See also  DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

The letter added that Professor Aghaji confirmed a range of health concerns affecting Kanu’s liver, kidneys, bladder, prostate, and white matter, as well as sleep apnea and severe tinnitus.

“Among the gravest threats to MNK’s survival today is tinnitus. It robs him of sleep, exacerbates hypertension, magnifies chest pain, and places him in immediate danger of stroke, collapse, or sudden death,” Fein wrote.

He said sleep deprivation combined with existing hypertension, organ strain, and potassium instability “places MNK in immediate danger of stroke, collapse, or sudden death.”

According to the letter, the NMA’s medical assessment of September 22, 2025, confirmed Aghaji’s findings and identified an additional condition requiring nasal surgery.

“The Federal High Court has ordered that the report of this assessment be submitted within four days,” he wrote. “Any delay creates the real danger that a replacement panel may be assembled, thereby undermining the medical truth.”

The letter urged that the conduct of all medical personnel involved in Kanu’s treatment be reviewed to ensure compliance with professional ethics.

“Neglect of tinnitus and sleep deprivation shows a disregard for the life-threatening impact of untreated conditions,” Fein stated.

He appealed to the WMA to ensure the release of the NMA report, protect Professor Aghaji’s role as Kanu’s physician, review the treatment he has received, and recognise tinnitus and sleep deprivation as urgent medical issues.

“Without immediate decisive action by the WMA and NMA, the medical neglect of MNK may prove fatal,” he warned.

As of the time of filing this report, the DSS could not be reached for comment, as the agency currently has no official spokesperson.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Sunday Igboho demands FG action as gunmen kill farmers in hometown

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  PHOTOS: President Tinubu receives Anambra state gov, Charles Soludo, in Abuja

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Atiku demands probe of N17.5tn pipeline security spending
Continue Reading

Trending