Connect with us

News

Terrorism: Judge begs Nnamdi Kanu in ‘God’s name’ to consult lawyers

Published

on

Proceedings in the terrorism trial of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, took a dramatic turn on Monday, as the trial judge resorted to begging the defendant “in the name of God Almighty to consult properly,” before proceeding to defend himself.

Noting that Kanu had earlier fired his lawyers and opted to defend himself,  Justice James Omotosho stressed that he needed to consult legal experts because “this is not economics; this is criminal prosecution.”

“I am begging you in the name of God Almighty to consult properly,” the judge pleaded. “I am inclined to granting you the adjournment you seek.”

“I know you are educated, but you are not a lawyer. You need to consult experts in the field. Please make adequate consultation. This is not economics; this is criminal prosecution. Please, my brother, make adequate consultation. Criminal cases are not like other cases. I took the opportunity to explain to the defendant because he is not a lawyer,” the judge stressed.

Kanu is being prosecuted on seven counts of terrorism before the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The court had on Friday adjourned till Monday for him to open his defence, after Kanu had submitted a list of 23 witnesses he intended to call.

Kanu said he needed an adjournment till Monday because his former legal team, led by a former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Chief Kanu Agabi (SAN), had yet to release his case file to him.

The IPOB leader expressed readiness to open his defence in a written application to the court, in which he indicated his intention to call witnesses and requested the issuance of witness summons.

Following his request, at the resumed sitting on Monday, the court reserved about five seats in the courtroom, each labelled “Summoned Witness,” in anticipation that Kanu would open his defence.

See also  Was government’s hyper reaction to Sowore’s protest necessary?

When the case was called, the Federal Government’s counsel, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), announced his appearance, while Kanu identified himself by name and stated that he was representing himself.

Afterwards, Awomolo informed the court that the business of the day was for the defendant to open his defence.

Responding, Kanu, who initially sat in the dock, stood up and stated that he had gone through the case files and discovered that the charges were unlawful.

He argued that since the prosecution had failed to establish any case against him, there was no need to proceed with his defence.

“There is actually no charge against me,” he said.

Kanu further argued that there was no extant law in the country upon which the prosecution could premise its case.

“There is no case against me. If there is no case against me, it will be futile for me to enter any defence,” he added.

At that point, Justice Omotosho intervened and explained to Kanu that in a criminal trial, the defendant has three options after the prosecution closes its case.

He said the first option is for the defendant to make a no-case submission, and if the court overrules it, the defendant is required to enter a defence.

The judge added that where a defendant chooses not to open a defence, he may decide to rest on the prosecution’s case and file a written address, to which the prosecution will reply, after which the court will deliver its judgment.

After listening to the judge’s explanation, Kanu reiterated: “My position is that there is no charge against me. There is no need for me to enter a defence. What I am saying is that there is no case against me.”

Justice Omotosho then reminded him that he had earlier ruled on Kanu’s no-case submission and held that he had a case to answer, noting that the ruling still subsists.

See also  Nigeria not facing Christian genocide, says NOA boss

Kanu subsequently applied for a week’s adjournment to enable him to file a written address in support of his argument that no valid charge was pending against him, claiming he was being subjected to an unnecessary trial.

He said: “I need a week to file a written address to the effect that there is no charge against me. If there is no extant law in Nigeria on which the charge could stand, there cannot be a case. You must please release me today or grant bail.”

Responding, Awomolo said that based on the defendant’s statement and the option he had taken, the court should adjourn for judgment.

“I take it that the defendant has said he is not putting in any defence because there is no valid charge against him,” Awomolo submitted.

“I want to submit that this position is conclusive of the defendant’s defence. I know that he took a plea to counts against him and pleaded not guilty. We led evidence, and he cross-examined our witnesses. Now that he says he has no defence, the case has been brought to a close,” the prosecution added.

Awomolo noted that at this stage, there was only one option for the defendant, adding that if Kanu’s objection was to be treated as his defence, the prosecution would respond, and the court would subsequently deliver its judgment.

He explained that Kanu’s current position implied that he had opted to address the court on points of law as his defence.

In his intervention, Justice Omotosho observed that the defendant was not entirely saying he had no defence, but rather that the charge against him could not stand.

He said: “That is also a form of defence. In that case, he will have to put that down in a written submission, which will be served on the prosecution, who will then respond.”

See also  2027 polls behind surge in killings - CDS

The judge then advised Kanu to consult experts before deciding on how to proceed.

“There is a need for you (Kanu) to consult people who are knowledgeable in criminal prosecution to advise you on how to proceed,” the judge said.

“I am begging you in the name of God Almighty to consult properly. I am inclined to granting you the adjournment you seek.

“I know you are educated, but you are not a lawyer. You need to consult experts in the field. Please make adequate consultation. This is not economics; this is criminal prosecution. Please, my brother, make adequate consultation. Criminal cases are not like other cases. I took the opportunity to explain to the defendant because he is not a lawyer,” Justice Omotosho added.

The trial judge said he has a duty to explain to the defendant the consequences of his decision not to enter a defence.

He added that after Kanu dismissed his legal team, the court had considered referring the case to the Legal Aid Council or any lawyer willing to take it pro bono, but Kanu declined, insisting that he would defend himself.

“Even at that, I still have a duty to explain the consequences of his option to him because he is not a lawyer. Please, make consultation,” the judge said.

The court granted Kanu four days from Monday to file his written address and serve the prosecution to enable it to file its reply.

Justice Omotosho then adjourned the matter till November 4, 5, and 6 for either the adoption of written addresses or for Kanu to open his defence, should he decide to change his mind.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Nigeria not facing Christian genocide, says NOA boss

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Trump sends letter of support on Ukraine’s Independence Day as Zelensky declares Kyiv ‘will not lose’ the war

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  2027 polls behind surge in killings - CDS
Continue Reading

Trending