Connect with us

News

FCT doctors vow to continue strike until demands are met

Published

on

The Association of Resident Doctors in the Federal Capital Territory Administration has vowed to continue its ongoing strike until all of its outstanding demands are met.

The ARD-FCTA lamented that despite several assurances and interventions, none of the key issues raised months ago have been implemented.

Speaking at a press briefing in Abuja on Monday, the President of ARD-FCTA, Dr. George Ebong, said the strike, which was initially suspended six weeks ago following the intervention of the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, and the National Assembly, resumed due to the government’s failure to honour its promises.

According to the doctors, specific timelines were set for the implementation of their demands, but none of them have been met.

The ARD-FCTA is an association of doctors practising in the 14 district and general hospitals, including the Department of Public Health under the FCTA.

The ARD-FCTA began its strike on Saturday following the announcement by its national body, the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors, to commence an indefinite and total strike on the same date.

“Unfortunately, none of our demands have been implemented. We’re back to where we were before; nothing has been positive yet.

“Today, being the 3rd of November, we have not even been paid last month’s salary. It has become a culture in FCTA that salaries are not paid as of when due.

“We get the month’s salary the following month, and even the following month, we get them in the first week or second week of the following month. It has become a trend.

“When our counterparts in other institutions are getting their salaries paid to them, we struggle to get ours paid, and when we get our salaries paid, it’s never complete.

See also  Fire guts Yinka Ayefele’s Music House in Ibadan, Fresh FM affected

“And of course, we have the demands that we begged the management to please fix. Knowing so well that these demands are very important in such a way that doctors will have the passion to practice. But unfortunately, this has actually not happened,” Ebong said.

The association revealed that 28 doctors employed in 2023 are still being owed, despite several letters and meetings with the management.

“We still have the payment of the outstanding salary arrears of 28 of our doctors who were employed in 2023 but have not been paid.

“We’ve tried to get this money paid since January of this year. Even though they’ve been owed for more than a year, up till now they have not been paid,” he stated.

Similarly, the association said newly employed external resident doctors, hired about seven months ago, have also not been paid, forcing some to abandon their posts due to financial hardship.

It further decried the non-payment of the Medical Residency Training Fund for about 142 doctors, despite federal approval.

“This fund is meant for doctors to help them train for their exams and help them improve in their discipline, and there are about 142 doctors. It will be very necessary that no name is skipped from that list.

“Again, we don’t have enough hands. We keep talking about the fact that the doctors are getting over-laboured, and then we try to have doctors come into the system, and the management is trying to employ them at the wrong entry level.

See also  UNICEF Nigeria welcomes new country representative

“The government or the management is supposed to employ them on the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure, step three. But then they are trying to employ fewer people on CONMESS two, and nobody wants to come to work, because anyone employed on CONMESS two is on a salary scale of like 200,000 a month.

“So, you have a doctor that comes to work every day, stays in the hospital like 11 days a month on a salary scale of 200,000 a month. We have people who actually came from Lagos and wanted to come work here. And when they saw the entry level, they just went back to Lagos to stay.

“If they want to employ, we are begging them that they should reverse the entry level of doctors to CONMESS three, step three, as it is done in other federal institutions,” he added.

The association lamented the worsening state of healthcare infrastructure.
The doctors emphasized that unless all issues are resolved, the FCT chapter will not suspend its strike, even if the national body of NARD calls off or suspends its industrial action.

“Our situation in FCTA is peculiar. Even if NARD suspends its strike today, we will continue ours until our demands are met. We have been patient enough,” Ebong declared.

The association called on the Minister of the FCT to intervene, stressing that the delay in implementing his earlier approvals suggests that key officials within the administration may be deliberately sabotaging his directives.

“We believe the Honourable Minister may not have the full picture. It is disappointing that despite his approval, certain persons are holding back implementation. We appeal to him to act decisively.

See also  NIMC gives diaspora partners 48 hours to activate upgraded licences

“We can’t fix the medical system on the pages of newspapers. These problems must be fixed on the ground. We are ready to work, but we can’t give what we don’t have,” he stated.

The doctors are demanding the immediate payment of all outstanding salary arrears to members employed since 2023; commencement of recruitment of new doctors with written, time-bound commitments to conclude before the end of 2025; and the immediate payment of the 2025 MRTF for doctors’ medical training.

Other demands include the immediate stoppage of erroneous deductions and correction of irregular salary payments; documented timelines for skipping and conversion to be fully concluded within one month; and the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding mandating the skipping of members within three months of employment.

They are also seeking the conversion of post-Part II Fellows to Consultant cadre within six months of passing, release of promotion timelines and full payment of arrears within one month, and the immediate payment of wage award arrears, as already done for colleagues at the federal and state levels.

Additional demands are the immediate payment of arrears from the 25/35 per cent Consolidated Medical Salary Structure review, urgent renovation, equipping, and upgrading of all FCTA hospitals to globally acceptable standards, immediate payment of 13 months’ hazard allowance arrears, and the immediate payment of all arrears owed to 2025 external residents.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Insecurity: Nigeria free to seek help from outside—OBJ

Published

on

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has declared that Nigerians owe no one an apology for seeking assistance from the international community to tackle the country’s persistent insecurity, stressing that lives are being lost daily regardless of religion, ethnicity, or political affiliation.

Speaking on Friday night at the ongoing Plateau Unity Christmas Carols and Praise Festival in Jos, Obasanjo urged the Nigerian government to urgently deploy modern technology to curb killings, noting that no criminal should be beyond the reach of security agencies.

In these days of technology, there should be nobody who can hide after committing a crime,” he said.

Before I left government, we had the capacity to pick up anybody in Nigeria once identified… Every Nigerian life matters, whether Christian, Muslim or pagan. Nigerians are being killed; this must stop.
He insisted that Nigerians have the right to seek international partnerships if domestic efforts fall short, arguing that saving lives must remain the nation’s priority.

Plateau State Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, also addressed the gathering, reassuring citizens that Nigeria would overcome its current trials.

By the grace of God, those who want Nigeria destroyed will not succeed,” he declared, praying that national and state leaders continue to receive strength and wisdom to act rightly.

The governor explained that the annual carol event was inspired by the vision of uniting the people of Plateau through worship and thanksgiving.

God is delighted when we come together in unity to exalt His name. Despite all odds, we are gathered again this year to celebrate the goodness of God in the land of the living,” he said.

See also  Fire guts Yinka Ayefele’s Music House in Ibadan, Fresh FM affected

Mutfwang welcomed dignitaries in attendance, including Obasanjo; General Lawrence Onoja (rtd.); former Plateau Governors Joshua Dariye and Jonah Jang (with his wife, Ngo Talatu); former Minister of Women Affairs, Dame Pauline Tallen; former Adamawa State Governor, Boni Haruna; former Chief of Defence Staff, General Martin Luther Agwai (rtd.); and the GOC 3 Division, Major General Folorunsho Oyinlola.

“Expressing delight in the diversity of worshippers, the governor said Plateau citizens had put aside denominational differences to worship under one banner.““With unity, we will shut the door against the enemy that troubles us,” he said.“The event featured ministrations from renowned gospel artistes including Buchi, Uche Etiaba, Pastor Chingtok, and choirs drawn from various denominations.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

‘Moles sabotaging military war against banditry’

Published

on

Retired senior military officers have stated that internal compromises, infiltration, and weak enforcement of security laws are sabotaging the country’s war against banditry and terrorism.

The former military personnel said some officers in the armed forces were working against the system.

They spoke amid growing public concern that breaches within the security services may be driving a resurgence of terror attacks across the country in recent months.

On Wednesday, former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Idris Wase, revealed that suspected Boko Haram members and other criminal elements were once found on the recruitment lists of the Nigerian Army and the police.

In Kebbi State, bandits who abducted dozens of schoolgirls struck less than 30 minutes after troops were withdrawn from the school, a development that has prompted public outrage and demands to identify the officer who ordered the withdrawal.

Speaking with Saturday PUNCH, former Troop Commander in the Nigerian Army and immediate past Director of ICT at the Army Signals Headquarters, Gen Peter Aro (retd.), said recent revelations showed that infiltration of the security forces had become an inevitable consequence of a weakened system.

“These developments strongly suggest that Nigeria’s security architecture is grappling with internal compromises that can no longer be dismissed as coincidence,” he said.

Aro added that recruitment should be governed by merit, profiling, and deep vetting, lamenting that political godfathers routinely push candidates forward, bypassing security checks and weakening the integrity of the forces.

Aro said the disclosure that Boko Haram suspects appeared on Army and police recruitment lists showed how deeply “Nigeria’s security gateways have been compromised.”

See also  Ifa Religion Council calls on Tinubu to declare national holidays for Isese Festival

He also criticised the moral contradictions in the country’s handling of public figures, who downplay the crimes of armed groups, warning that such mixed messaging damages national cohesion.

Aro linked operational lapses to possible insider collusion, citing the Kebbi school abduction.

He said, “Nigerians understand timing, and they understand patterns. Such precision is rarely accidental. It raises legitimate questions about whether insiders leaked information or deliberately created a security vacuum.”

The ex-general added that troop withdrawals in conflict zones couldn’t be dismissed as routine mistakes, saying, “In a conflict zone, unexplained troop movement is never a clerical oversight; it is often a marker of internal compromise.”

While noting that moles thrive because the country has failed to treat national security as sacred, Aro said, “The deeper tragedy is that these moles are not appearing by chance; they are the result of a permissive political culture.

“Until Nigeria draws firm moral lines and seals the cracks inside its own institutions, the enemy outside will continue to find willing accomplices within.”

He also faulted the Federal Government’s increasing reliance on negotiations to secure the release of abducted victims.

“These things have become a business in Nigeria. Until we address the internal compromises and strengthen our security institutions, we will keep creating incentives for more abductions,” he added.

Similarly, former commander of the Osun State Amotekun Corps, Brig. Gen. Bashir Adewinbi (retd.), said recent arrests of security operatives collaborating with gunmen confirmed that saboteurs are undermining the country’s internal security efforts.

He said, “In any organisation, there are moles. You can’t rule out the possibility. I read that a Deputy Commissioner of Police was recently arrested along with some bandits when their enclaves were stormed.

See also  Russia, AU Tell US To Respect Nigeria’s Sovereignty Amid Talk Of Possible Military Action

“That shows we need to do more in separating the wheat from the chaff in all the security agencies, not only in the military.”

Adewinbi described the trend as dangerous, recalling the 1980s case of armed robber Lawrence Anini, whose operations were aided by a senior police officer.

He added, “In the days of Anini, DSP Yamu was arrested and he confessed that he was the one backing the criminal. Let’s call a spade a spade. It was confirmed, and the man was eventually executed. How are we sure that many like him are still not in the service till today?”

Adewinbi said such internal sabotage was weakening Nigeria’s anti-terror fight.

“We need to face reality and do the needful to make sure we don’t deceive ourselves in this country. People should be held responsible and accountable,” he said.

The former general also faulted the government for failing to enforce laws meant to reform the security system.

He argued that even though there are laws in the country, not all of them are efficiently enforced in a way that can deter criminality.

During the plenary on Wednesday, members of the House of Representatives had faulted the Federal Government for negotiating with bandits to secure the release of 24 students abducted from Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga, in Kebbi State.

The lawmakers, under the coalition “House to the Rescue,” said the government’s engagement with kidnappers, disclosed by President Bola Tinubu’s aide, Mr Bayo Onanuga, amounted to a betrayal of Nigerians and undermined national security.

Backing the Federal Government’s non-kinetic strategy, Adewinbi said ransom-driven negotiations have turned kidnapping into a lucrative criminal business.

See also  NIMC gives diaspora partners 48 hours to activate upgraded licences

“These things would have stopped in Nigeria, but people see it as a way of making money. It is now a business,” he said.

While acknowledging the emotional pressure on families of abducted victims, he insisted that prevention remains the only sustainable solution.

“The only thing is to prevent kidnapping. Once a kidnap occurs, we have no choice but to dance to their tune,” he added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Army elevates 105 to Maj Gen, Brig Gen

Published

on

A total of 105 senior officers of the Nigerian Army have been elevated to the ranks of Major General and Brigadier General, following the approval of the Army Council.

Of the figure, 28 Brigadier Generals were promoted to Major General, while 77 Colonels were elevated to Brigadier General.

Those promoted to Major General, according to a statement on Friday by the service’s spokesperson, Lt. Col. Appolonia Anele, include Brig Gen O. Adegbe of the Defence Intelligence Agency; Brig Gen S.M. Uba, Director of Defence Information; Brig Gen R.E. Hedima, Acting Chief of Military Intelligence (Army); and Brig Gen R.T. Utsaha, Deputy Director of Defence Operations.

Others are Brig Gen A.M. Umar, Commandant of the Warrant Officer Academy; Brig Gen S. Sulaiman, Deputy Military Secretary (Army); Brig Gen I.O. Bassey, Director of the Nigerian Army Operations Centre; and Brig Gen C.A. Ekeator of the Nigerian Army School of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering.

Also promoted are Brig Gen S.Y. Yakasai, Acting Director of Procurement in the Office of the Chief of Army Staff; Brig Gen W.L. Nzidee of the Army Headquarters Department of Logistics; Brig Gen S.A. Emmanuel of the Nigerian Army Signals; Brig Gen S.S. Tilawan, Acting Commander, Sector 3 Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai; Brig Gen M.O. Agi, Desk Officer, Tertiary Education Trust Fund at the Nigerian Defence Academy; and Brig Gen I.M. Abbas, Commander, 34 Brigade. Brig Gen Z.A. Saidu was promoted posthumously.

Those promoted from Colonel to Brigadier General include Col Y. Ibrahim of the Nigerian Army Resource Centre, Abuja; Col N.N. Gambo of the Army Headquarters Department of Civil-Military Affairs; and Col A. Saidu of the Nigerian Army Finance Corps.

See also  Why we halted tinted glass permit enforcement – IGP Egbetokun

Others are Col A. Ali of Army Headquarters Garrison; Col I. Waziri of the Office of the Chief of Defence Staff; Col M.M. Sani of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji; Col A.A. Alkali of the Nigerian Army Dog Centre; Col A.O. Ndah of the Army Headquarters Department of Training; Col I.B. Sheriff of Headquarters 9 Brigade; Col K.R. Apata of the Army Headquarters Provost Group; Col M.K. Akpuogwu of Operation Whirl Stroke; and Col P.U. Nnaji of the Nigerian Army Operations Monitoring Support Team.

Additional officers promoted include Col M.T. Nagudu of the Nigerian Army Armour School; Col K.O. Bukoye, Commander, 401 Special Forces Brigade; Col O. Adole of the Nigerian Army Medical Corps; Col J.A. Ikagba of the 68 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital; Col D.C. Ibeh of the 8 Division Medical Services and Hospital; Col G.S. Chohwore of the 44 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital; Col O.G. Okoye of the Nigerian Army Reference Hospital; and Col Y.K. Audu of the Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai.

Anele said the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Waidi Shaibu, congratulated the newly promoted officers and urged them to sustain professionalism and demonstrate effective leadership.

He directed them to inspire their subordinates through personal conduct and pursue innovative approaches to emerging security challenges.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending