Connect with us

News

US delegation hold talks with Benue clerics, monarchs on killings

Published

on

The United States delegation on fact-finding mission over alleged Christian genocide in Nigeria was in Benue State on Monday where they interacted with Catholic bishops and the Tiv traditional ruler.

US congressman, Riley Moore, disclosed this in a post on X on Monday, expressing strong support for Tiv and Christian leaders from Benue State.

“It was an honour and deeply moving to meet with his excellency Bishop Wilfred Anagbe, Bishop Isaac Dugu, and His Royal Highness James Ioruza, traditional ruler of the Tiv people, to discuss the ongoing genocidal campaign by the Fulani in Benue State,” Moore wrote.

The congressman, who has been vocal about attacks on Christian communities in Nigeria, added that the US would not ignore the suffering reported by local leaders.

“Our brothers and sisters in Christ will no longer suffer in silence,” he said. “The United States has heard your cries and we are working diligently toward solutions.”

In an earlier post, Moore commended the Federal Government’s openess and willingness to work with the US to tackle the raging insecurity  in Nigeria, following an engagement with  Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, on Sunday.

Moore had earlier shared on X that he concluded a “very productive visit to Nigeria,” adding, “More details to come. Happy Sunday. God is Great!”

Providing further updates on Monday, on his X, the US congressman said the discussions focused on terrorism in the North-East and killings in the Middle Belt, describing the issues as a specific concern for President Donald Trump and himself.

See also  PHOTOS: Protesters storm NASS, demand Senate confirmation of NERC Chairman nominee

Moore said the US delegation and Nigerian officials examined concrete steps and actions that he believes could improve security if carried out fully.

The congressman noted, “There were concrete steps and actions discussed at length, that if fully executed, I believe will enhance security across the country for all Nigerians, disrupt and destroy terrorist organisations in the northeast and stop the killing of Christians (a specific concern for @POTUS and me) – particularly in the Middle Belt of the country.”

He also referred to the rescue of 100 abducted Catholic schoolchildren, thanking the Nigerian government and President Bola Tinubu.

“I want to thank the Nigerian government and @officialABAT for rescuing the 100 innocent and precious Catholic school children.

“This is a positive demonstration of the government’s increasing response to the security situation and shows commitment to the emergency declaration laid out by President Tinubu,” he wrote.

The congressman said US concerns were “positively received” and pointed to what he described as a “now established joint task force between Nigeria and the US” as an example of cooperation.

However, he added that, “It is clear that there is an openness and willingness on the part of the Nigerian government to work with the United States to tackle these critical issues.

“Now, that openness has to translate to concrete action.”

Moore added that, “There is much work still to be done, but things are moving in the right direction. I look forward to the next steps with the Nigerian government and the continued open dialogue.”

He closed his message with, “Peace be with you all. God bless the great people of Nigeria.”

See also  Gombe Commissioner seeks protection of northern water resources

On Sunday, the NSA announced that he hosted a US congressional delegation as part of ongoing security consultations between both countries.

Ribadu, in a message shared on his X handle, said the visit followed earlier talks held in Washington DC, centred on mutual security interests.

“This morning, I received a US congressional delegation on a fact-finding mission to Nigeria, following our earlier engagements in Washington, DC, on shared security priorities,” he said.

He added that the US Ambassador to Nigeria, Richard Mills, was also present at the meeting, a development he said “reflected the importance both nations attach to this engagement.”

According to Ribadu, discussions during the meeting focused on “counter-terrorism cooperation, regional stability,” and ways to “strengthen the strategic security partnership between Nigeria and the United States.”

“I’m optimistic this engagement will deepen trust, collaboration, and shared commitment to peace and security,” he said.

The visit comes amid heightened diplomatic tensions after Trump redesignated Nigeria as a Country of Particular Concern over alleged religious freedom violations, a move accompanied by threats of possible US military intervention.

The Federal Government has repeatedly dismissed claims of systemic Christian persecution, maintaining that insecurity affects citizens of all religious backgrounds.

On November 20, the US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth hosted the NSA at the Pentagon for discussions on coordinated strategies to address the crisis.

That same day, the US House Subcommittee on Africa opened a public hearing to examine President Trump’s recent redesignation of Nigeria as a Country of Particular Concern.

Lawmakers met to evaluate the potential implications of the designation.

Last Tuesday, House Republicans issued warnings about rising religious violence in Nigeria during a joint briefing called at the direction of President Trump, who on October 31 instructed Moore and the House Appropriations Committee to investigate what he described as the slaughter of Christians in the country and report its findings to the White House.

See also  ‘It’s not small group’ – Defence Minister, Musa explains why US military airstrikes hit Sokoto

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Public Structures Named After Buhari In Borno [Full List]

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Public Structures Named After Buhari In Borno [Full List]

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: Protesters storm NASS, demand Senate confirmation of NERC Chairman nominee
Continue Reading

Trending