Connect with us

News

NLC fumes over arrest of Osun LG workers

Published

on

The Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress in Osun State, Christopher Arapasopo, on Monday demanded an immediate end to the alleged serial arrests of workers at local government secretariats in the state.

While the Osun Police Command could not confirm the arrests, sources within the All Progressives Congress in the state said between two and three local government staff members were apprehended while allegedly attempting to remove documents from secretariats.

The suspects were reportedly arrested at Boluwaduro Local Government headquarters in Otan Ayegbaju and Egbedore LGA Secretariat in Awo, shortly after workers who had been on strike for nearly 11 months resumed their duties across the state.

Pictures and videos of the arrested workers, along with the documents allegedly in their possession, circulated widely on social media on Monday.

Speaking at the 2026 annual prayer event organised by the state government at the Government Secretariat in Abere, Arapasopo vowed to take labour action if the alleged harassment continued.

“The development is unacceptable for the police to be involved in such disgraceful acts. Our members have done nothing wrong and this harassment should stop without delay.

We have seen videos and pictures of our members being forced to kneel down. We condemn this conduct. We call on the police to release them. We declare our solidarity with our members. The police should stop being used by the APC on such illegal roles.”

Arapasopo accused the APC of attempting to destabilise the state, warning:

“The APC is pushing to plunge Osun into crisis. They want to create mayhem. We will not help them to destroy our state. We will resist legally and lawfully. We are a pressure group. We warn the police not to harass our people. We will not tolerate ongoing harassment of our people at the local government level. The governor has done so much for labour and for Osun people. We will reciprocate by voting massively accordingly. We will also monitor your vote accordingly. We are going to deliver accordingly. We call APC to see us clearly. We will not run away for anybody.”

See also  ‘I Refused To Let Streets, Buildings Or Anything Be Named After Me’ – Peter Obi

The Osun Police Command did not confirm or deny the arrests. Its Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Ojelabi, told The PUNCH:

“Regarding the arrest of staff, I don’t have any report yet on that. Local Government secretariat is a public environment. Anybody can come in. But anybody, be it politician or anyone, coming in to make trouble, we won’t tolerate that. Anyone coming to the council to cause trouble, we won’t tolerate that. People that have appointments or personal reasons can come. We won’t tolerate anyone coming to make trouble be it from any party. That is the directive. No operative smuggled anyone into the council areas.”

Local government workers resumed duties on Monday after nearly 11 months of industrial action, following a directive by the National Union of Local Government Employees.

The strike, which began on February 17, 2025, was triggered by a power tussle involving PDP and APC chairmen elected in the October 15, 2022, local government election.

Heavy security presence was observed at council secretariats, with access subjected to checks, amid reports of two separate alleged attempts to remove official documents in Boluwaduro and Egbedore LGAs, which reportedly led to arrests.

The Osun APC Director of Media, Kola Olabisi, on behalf of the party chairman, Tajudeen Lawal, expressed concern over what he described as the alleged misuse of court processes to paralyse local government administration:

“Procurement of court orders everywhere and at any time is the major problem we have in Osun. It has become an impediment to development because no local government chairman can function under such conditions. The administration of Governor Ademola Adeleke has gone to several courts, including courts outside Osun State, despite the presence of competent courts within the state. This is an attempt to stall development, and it has prevented access to local government funds.”

See also  FG warns 3,598 workers of dismissal, orders fresh verification

Meanwhile, the chairman of Osun PDP Association of Local Governments, Sarafa Awotunde, accused the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, of partisanship, alleging that security agencies allowed APC chairmen access to council secretariats contrary to agreements:

“IGP sir, what is your interest in the affairs of local government in Osun? Are you trying to destabilise the state or ensure peace? You need to remain neutral. Allowing the APC chairmen into council offices amounts to political banditry.”

Responding, Ojelabi dismissed the allegations:“Anybody coming to the council secretariat to foment trouble will face the full weight of the law. We will not tolerate disorder from any individual or political party. The police did not escort or smuggle anyone into council offices; security operatives were deployed solely to maintain peace and order.”

The Chairman of Osun APC ALGON, Samuel Idowu, commended the workers for an orderly resumption:

“In most local government areas, some workers came to greet and welcome us in the offices. We do not have any problem with them.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  VIDEO: Tinubu engages UK, seeks Ekweremadu’s transfer to Nigeria

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Kaduna abduction: 183 freed victims recount ordeal, gov pledges rehabilitation
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  PHOTOS: Mother abandons her 2-year-old daughter with street vendors to go negotiate bride price with her new boyfriend

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  FG warns 3,598 workers of dismissal, orders fresh verification

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending