Connect with us

News

Implement our 15 demands to avoid strike, resident doctors tell FG

Published

on

The Nigeria Association of Resident Doctors has urged the Federal Government to conclude the process of reinstating the dismissed resident doctors in Lokoja and to capture and implement outstanding professional allowances in the January budget, among other demands.

In an exclusive interview with PUNCH Healthwise, the President of NARD, Dr Mohammad Suleiman, expressed hope that the 15 demands of the association being discussed would be implemented this month.

He said, “We hope they will finalise the processes of returning our members to Lokoja. We hope they will capture the professional allowances in the budget and implement them this January. And we hope they will pay this allowance.”

Suleiman further stated that while the government and some stakeholders often wanted the association to focus on a single demand, all 15 items were critical to the welfare of resident doctors and the healthcare system.

He stated, “We don’t have just one demand. We have 15 items at the table for discussion.”

PUNCH Healthwise reports that the association shelved its planned January 12 strike on Sunday after engagements with various government agencies.

NARD had, on November 1, 2025, embarked on an indefinite strike to press home its demands. The strike, which lasted for 29 days, was called off on November 29.

A communiqué issued by the association’s Secretary General, Dr Shuaibu Ibrahim, on January 11, 2026, following a virtual extraordinary National Executive Council meeting, detailed the status of the 15 demands and the progress made through engagements with various government agencies.

The communiqué revealed that regarding the Federal Teaching Hospital Lokoja crisis, a reconciliation committee comprising the Chief Medical Directors, the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, and NARD had been established to ensure all members remained at the facility and to broker lasting peace between the Association of Resident Doctors at FTH Lokoja and the Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria at the same institution.

See also  Atiku demands probe of N17.5tn pipeline security spending

PUNCH Healthwise reports that tensions had earlier arisen at the FTH, Lokoja, following disagreements involving resident doctors and other medical staff, which led to the dismissal of five resident doctors and strained working relationships within the facility.

Continuing, NARD stated that concerning the outstanding 25 per cent and 35 per cent Consolidated Medical Salary Structure arrears, verified lists had been forwarded to the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System, while the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment had written to the Federal Ministry of Finance with attention to IPPIS for prompt payment.

Suleiman said, “Verified lists have been forwarded to IPPIS. The Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment has written to the Federal Ministry of Finance, with attention to IPPIS. NARD will continue close follow-up to ensure prompt payment.”

The communiqué noted similar progress on outstanding accoutrement allowances, with the association maintaining close follow-up to ensure payment.

Regarding promotion and salary arrears, the association disclosed that lists had been transmitted by the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to the Federal Ministry of Finance and the Budget Office, with the Honourable Minister of State for Finance acknowledging receipt.

The statement read, “Lists have been transmitted by FMoH&SW to the FMoF and Budget Office. Importantly, the Honourable Minister of State for Finance has acknowledged it, and NARD is now engaging to ensure a clear and expedited payment plan.”

On the issue of skipping and entry-level placement, NARD stated that the Director of Hospital Services at the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare would communicate with Chief Executives of hospitals regarding a clarification issued by the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation, emphasising that CONMESS 3 was the recognised entry level.

See also  Tinubu congratulates minister, NLNG boss on GECF roles

The association revealed that a multi-stakeholder committee comprising the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, Chief Medical Directors, the Nigerian Medical Association and NARD had been constituted to address locum practice and work hour regulation, with preliminary activities commencing ahead of formal inauguration.

Concerning house officers’ welfare, the communiqué stated that the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment had intervened, and the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare would formally engage the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria to communicate with IPPIS on salary delays, arrears and issuance of pay advisories.

On membership recategorisation, Suleiman disclosed that a committee chaired by the Director of Hospital Services had been set up to engage MDCN, Chief Medical Directors, postgraduate colleges and NARD.

The association stated that it would work closely with affected centres to ensure salary and allowance arrears in state and private facilities were cleared while ensuring that gains at the federal level were replicated at the state level.

Regarding the professional allowance table, the communiqué revealed that the circular had been released and the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare had written to the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation for full implementation, beginning with the January salary.

Suleiman said, “The circular has been released. MoH&SW has written to the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation for full implementation beginning with the January salary. NARD is following up closely. Assurances have also been given that 18 months’ arrears will be captured in the 2026 Budget.”

The association noted that it would continue to push for the immediate resumption and timely conclusion of negotiations on the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

See also  Presidential pardon show of incompetence – Kenneth Okonkwo

Following firm commitments from critical stakeholders, including the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment, Federal Ministry of Finance, Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Office of the Accountant General of the Federation, IPPIS, Director General of Budget, Chief Medical Directors, the National Assembly, Director General of the Department of State Services, and notably the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the NEC unanimously resolved to suspend the resumption of Total and Indefinite Comprehensive Strike 2.0.

The communiqué stated, “This suspension is strategic and conditional, allowing room to objectively review tangible progress at the January NEC meeting commencing 25th January 2026.”

In addition, the NARD president told PUNCH Healthwise that 4,700 doctors left Nigeria in 2024 alone, contributing to a brain drain crisis that has seen approximately 15,000 medical practitioners emigrate over the past seven years.

Suleiman noted that data on the number of doctors who left the country in 2025 would become available by the end of January or in February 2026, adding that the continuous exodus of medical professionals was significantly affecting healthcare delivery in the country.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation – DHQ

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters on Monday said Nigerian troops, in collaboration with the United States Africa Command, killed more than 20 Islamic State West Africa Province fighters during fresh coordinated air strikes in the North-East.

The DHQ said the operation was carried out in the general area of Metele following intelligence reports on the convergence and movement of terrorist elements within the region.

In a statement by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. Gen. Samaila Uba, the military said the strikes formed part of sustained operations aimed at dismantling terrorist networks and denying insurgents safe haven in the country.

“The Defence Headquarters, in close coordination with United States Africa Command, wish to update the general public on the continuation of coordinated operations against ISIS militants across the North East Nigeria, with additional air strike operations successfully executed in the general area of Metele.

“Following observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements, multiple air strikes were conducted resulting in the elimination of more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters,” the statement partly read.

The military said the ongoing operations were designed to disrupt terrorist activities, remove fighters from the battlefield and prevent insurgents from regrouping.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation,” the statement added.

Uba stressed that terrorists threatening citizens and national stability would be located and defeated, saying that there would be no safe haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria.

“Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated. There will be no safe haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria,” he said.

See also  Tinubu congratulates minister, NLNG boss on GECF roles

This is coming after the announcements by United States President Donald Trump and President Bola Tinubu confirming the killing of ISIS kingpin, Al-Minuki during a joint counterterrorism operation conducted by Nigerian and US forces.

Trump described the slain militant as the most active terrorist in the world and claimed he was the second in command of ISIS globally,” adding that the terrorist leader believed he could evade capture in Africa.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Bus knocks pedestrian dead in Ogun

Published

on

A pedestrian has lost his life after being knocked down by a Toyota Coaster bus at Imowo, along the Imowo-Ibadan Road inward Ijebu Ode in Ogun State.

PUNCH Metro gathered on Monday from the spokesperson for the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Agency, Babatunde Akinbiyi, that the fatal accident occurred at about 4:45 pm on Sunday and caused serious traffic congestion along the route due to the obstruction caused by the bus.

He noted that TRACE operatives and police officers from the Obalende Division were immediately deployed to the scene to manage traffic and rescue operations.

According to him, the accident happened when the pedestrian allegedly failed to check the other side of the road before attempting to cross.

The agency noted that there was a diversion to a single lane outward Ijebu Ode due to ongoing road rehabilitation works along the axis.

The statement read, “According to eyewitness account, the pedestrian forgot to check the other side of the road before crossing the road. There is diversion to one lane due to ongoing road rehabilitation on the axis.”

Akinbiyi added that no other injuries were recorded in the incident aside from the death of the male pedestrian.

He further disclosed that its operatives controlled vehicular movement around the scene to ease traffic congestion and prevent secondary accidents.

“TRACE operatives assisted in carrying the presumed dead into the OGSAS ambulance, while the body was subsequently conveyed to the General Hospital mortuary, Ijebu Ode,” the statement added.

The TRACE Head of Media stressed further that the accidented Toyota Coaster bus was later evacuated from the road and moved to the Police Area Command, Igbeba, for further investigation.

See also  Presidential pardon show of incompetence – Kenneth Okonkwo

The agency confirmed that normal vehicular movement had been restored after the evacuation exercise.

PUNCH Metro reported earlier that an auto crash along the Third Mainland Bridge left a policeman riding on a motorcycle, dead after being hit by a Lexus car.

The driver of the car was said to have surrendered himself to the police following the incident.

Continue Reading

News

FG cracks down on unapproved contract variations in MDAs

Published

on

The Federal Government, through its Bureau of Public Procurement, on Sunday barred government Ministries, Departments, and Agencies from processing upward revisions of contract sums without first obtaining a Bureau certificate.

This was as it issued other sweeping guidelines that centralised the review of all contract variations and scope modifications under its authority. According to a statement signed by its Head of Press and Public Relations, Zira Nagga, the Bureau said the reform is designed to close one of the most persistent channels for cost inflation and corruption in Nigeria’s public procurement system.

The guidelines, issued pursuant to Sections 5(a) and (o) of the Public Procurement Act 2007, give effect to a Federal Executive Council-approved policy conveyed by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation in December 2025.

The statement is titled ‘Contract Variations: BPP Releases Guidelines.’

The new guidelines replace an earlier 2013 framework that required Presidential approval only for variations above 15 per cent of the initial contract sum or N1bn.

Under the new framework, every request for a variation order, fluctuation claim, or scope modification, regardless of size, must first be submitted to the BPP for review and certification before proceeding to the relevant approving authority.

Nagga noted that a BPP Certificate of No Objection, valid for six months, is now a mandatory precondition for any further action. Variations processed without it will attract sanctions under the Public Procurement Act 2007, including suspension of responsible officers and debarment of contractors, the statement said.

It also quoted the Bureau’s Director-General, Adebowale Adedokun, as saying, “Variations must not become a backdoor for cost inflation and scope creep.

See also  Kano Assembly moves to impeach deputy governor, see reasons

“These guidelines ensure that every adjustment to a public contract is necessary, justified, and delivers value to Nigerians. The BPP will apply these rules rigorously and fairly across all MDAs.”

Accordingly, the guidelines draw a firm line between permissible and impermissible grounds for variation. Acceptable grounds include unforeseen site conditions, material errors in design or bills of quantities, statutory changes after contract execution, significant price escalation due to macroeconomic shocks or force majeure, and value engineering improvements that reduce cost without altering scope.

Variations arising from inadequate planning, avoidable design flaws, or the addition of new components not contemplated in the original contract scope will be rejected outright, Nagga noted.

Such additions, the guidelines stated, must be procured as entirely separate contracts, a provision aimed at blocking the practice of using variations to effectively award new projects under the cover of an existing contract.

On fluctuation claims, adjustments for changes in the cost of labour, materials, and exchange rates, the guidelines introduced new deterrents against deliberate project delays.

It stated that, going forward, contractors found to have intentionally slowed down execution in order to generate larger fluctuation claims will be denied those claims and may be debarred if the claims are found to be bogus or overstated.

The revised approving authority thresholds are now tied to the augmentation sum, the amount of the increase, rather than the total revised contract cost. Works variations of N10bn and above will require Federal Executive Council approval.

It stated, “Those between N5bn and N10bn go to the Ministerial Tenders Board; those between N75m and N5bn to the Parastatal Tenders Board; and anything below N75m for works, or N50m for goods and services, can be approved at the Accounting Officer level.”

See also  LASU professor reveals how to stabilize governance in Nigeria

Similar thresholds apply to goods and services procurement. To address the upstream cause of many avoidable variations, the guidelines mandated the use of approved final designs for all procurements from the outset.

It also stated that the use of preliminary or flawed designs that subsequently generate unnecessary variations will attract regulatory sanctions, a provision targeting the entrenched practice of commencing projects with incomplete engineering designs.

On transparency, the BPP said all MDAs are required to publish details of every approved variation, including the contractor’s name, original contract sum, augmentation amount, revised contract sum, and grounds for the increase, on their websites and the BPP portal within 30 days of Tenders Board approval.

The BPP said it will also periodically submit council notes to the Federal Executive Council on reviewed and approved variations across government. The guidelines take immediate effect and apply to all ongoing projects regardless of when the original contract was awarded.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending