Connect with us

News

Court Adjourns El-Rufai’s Fundamental Rights Suit Against ICPC

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday adjourned a fundamental rights enforcement suit filed by a former Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, against the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and four other respondents until March 25.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik adjourned the case to enable the parties in the matter regularise their processes before the hearing.

When the case was called, counsel to El-Rufai, Ubong Akpan, informed the court that the matter had been scheduled for hearing.

However, he told the court that the applicant had only just filed a response to the counter-affidavit submitted by the ICPC and had yet to respond to the submission by the Inspector-General of Police.

Lawyers representing the ICPC and the police, Abdulsufiano Abubakar and Ezekiel Rimamsomte respectively, confirmed Akpan’s submission.

Justice Abdulmalik subsequently adjourned the matter to March 25 for hearing.

The judge also ordered that the second respondent, the Chief Magistrate of the Magistrate’s Court of the Federal Capital Territory, and the fourth respondent, the Attorney-General of the Federation, who were absent in court, be issued and served hearing notices.

Naija News reports that El-Rufai is seeking ₦1 billion in damages against the ICPC, the Chief Magistrate of the FCT Magistrate’s Court, the Inspector-General of Police and the Attorney-General of the Federation.

In the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/345/2026 and filed on February 20 by his counsel, Oluwole Iyamu (SAN), the former governor sought seven reliefs from the court.

He asked the court to declare that the invasion and search of his residence at House 12, Mambilla Street, Aso Drive, Abuja, on February 19 at about 2pm by operatives of the ICPC and the police violated his fundamental rights.

See also  Reps urge teaching hospitals to prioritise research

According to him, the action infringed on his rights to dignity of the human person, personal liberty, fair hearing and privacy as guaranteed under Sections 34, 35, 36 and 37 of the Constitution.

El-Rufai also urged the court to declare that any evidence obtained from the search should be declared inadmissible.

He argued that such evidence was procured through an unlawful search carried out in breach of constitutional safeguards.

He further prayed the court to restrain the respondents from relying on or tendering any items seized during the operation in any investigation or prosecution against him.

The former governor also sought an order directing the ICPC and the Inspector-General of Police to return all items taken from his residence during the search, alongside a detailed inventory.

In addition, he requested the court to award him N1bn as general, exemplary and aggravated damages.

In its counter-affidavit, the ICPC told the court that it received a petition against El-Rufai and subsequently commenced an investigation.

The commission said the investigation led to the search conducted at the former governor’s residence.

It maintained that the operation was carried out under a valid search warrant issued on February 18 and executed the following day between 1:37pm and 3:56pm at 12 Mambilla Street, Asokoro, Abuja.

The commission added that its operatives were accompanied by personnel of the Nigeria Police Force and that the search was witnessed by El-Rufai’s wife, Hadiza El-Rufai, and his son, Mohammed El-Rufai.

The ICPC urged the court to dismiss the suit and listed items allegedly recovered during the search.

See also  Tinubu revokes pardon for Sanda, 140 high-profile inmates

The police, in a counter-affidavit deposed to by Inspector Ewa Anthony, also defended the operation. It argued that the force had the statutory authority to detect, arrest, investigate and prosecute offenders.

According to the police, the search at El-Rufai’s residence was conducted based on a search warrant issued by a competent court.

The police insisted that the warrant was valid and that officers involved in the operation complied with all legal procedures.

It further argued that the former governor was attempting to use the court to shield himself from an ongoing security investigation and possible prosecution.

The police therefore urged the court to dismiss the suit in its entirety.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Ogun commissioner hails impacts of health fellows on grassroots healthcare

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  You Betrayed Your Mother, Siblings – Ayo Fayose’s Brother Blasts Him On 65th Birthday
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  AU condemns Zamfara killings, demands release of abducted women, children

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending