Connect with us

Business

Dangote refinery, engineers on warpath over fresh redeployment

Published

on

Some of the engineers sacked by the Dangote refinery for allegedly joining the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria have decried the plan to redeploy them to sugar, cement and other business units under the Dangote Group.

The workers, who spoke with The PUNCH anonymously due to the sensitivity of the matter, said the company was victimising them for unionisation.

However, the Dangote media team debunked these claims on Wednesday, saying there are PENGASSAN members still working in the refinery.

PENGASSAN shut down oil and gas facilities between Sunday and Tuesday last week over allegations that 800 refinery workers were fired for volunteering to be members of the union.

But the Dangote refinery said it only sacked a few workers who were sabotaging the facility, tagging it reorganisation.

Oil and gas workers went on strike in defence of their colleagues, causing the nation losses in oil and gas production as well as a drop in power generation.

The intervention of the Federal Government restored peace as the Dangote Group was asked to redeploy the sacked workers.

Speaking with our correspondent, the workers said they have yet to be recalled or redeployed as of Tuesday.

Sources within the Dangote Group had earlier told our correspondent that the company was ready to redeploy the engineers to its sugar and cement plants.

It was learnt that the company would also recruit new engineers to replace the redeployed ones, and the redeployment would be a huge loss to the company.

Our correspondent also gathered that some of the 800 workers could be deployed to units within the group’s operations outside the country.

But the affected workers said they were not pleased with the development.

According to them, their appointment letters showed that they were specifically employed by the refinery and not the Dangote Group, saying being transferred out of the company that employed them would be unfair to them, and wondering how a petrochemical engineer would cope at a sugar plant.

See also  IMF raises Nigeria’s growth to 3.9%

“It is victimisation. How will you redeploy us from the refinery to sugar or cement plants? It is not fair. Most of us weren’t employed by the Dangote Group; we were employed by Dangote Petroleum Refinery and Petrochemicals. If we were employed by the Dangote Group, we would know that we could be redeployed from one unit to another. This is like victimising us. Some of us are petrochemical engineers; how do you want them to cope? It is affecting some of us psychologically,” they said.

The engineers disclosed that they have been sitting at home since September 25, after the company issued a letter to sack all staff, though the company said it sacked a few workers for sabotage.

According to the engineers, 800 of them were asked to stay away pending when they would be redeployed. They recalled that previous attempts to access the refinery were rebuffed by security agents at the gate.

“Currently we are at home; we are not allowed to go into the refinery. The management said they would get back to us as far as the redeployments are done, but we have not heard anything so far. There were times when we tried to enter the refinery, but we were sent back. There are pictures of those incidents,” they said.

It was stated that Indian nationals were the only ones operating the refinery at the moment, as all Nigerian engineers were sent away for joining the union.

“At the moment, only Indians are running the refinery. All Nigerian engineers were sacked because we joined PENGASSAN,“ they alleged.

Recall that the refinery had earlier dismissed this allegation, saying, “Over 3,000 Nigerians continue to work actively in our petroleum refinery at present. Only a very small number of staff were affected, as we continue to recruit Nigerian talent through our various graduate trainee programmes and experienced hire recruitment process.”

See also  DisCos reject FG’s free meter plan

Speaking further, the workers explained that they wouldn’t have joined PENGASSAN if they were well paid. They clarified that the decision to join PENGASSAN came after the Dangote management announced that workers were free to unionise.

“We wouldn’t have joined PENGASSAN if we were well paid. Our salary is around N400,000, and after deductions, it falls below that.

“We didn’t plan to join PENGASSAN; the management announced it themselves that workers were free to unionise. We joined PENGASSAN, and it became an issue,” they expressed worries.

On allegations of sabotage, the engineers declared their love for the $20bn refinery, saying they would never sabotage a facility they helped build.

“We cannot sabotage the refinery. We love the refinery. Some of us built it from the beginning. How can we sabotage what we built? It is not possible. We’ve been very committed, and we were doing everything to ensure the success of the plant for the good of all Nigerians.

“As it is, we are all waiting for our posting letters. There’s nothing we can do now because the issue has become a national issue. The presidency is now involved. But we are not guilty of anything. Our only ‘crime’ is that we joined PENGASSAN,” the engineers submitted.

Dangote Group debunks allegations

Meanwhile, the Dangote Group debunked the claims of the affected workers

According to the group, the engineers were sacked for sabotaging the facility and not because they joined PENGASSAN.

A senior official of the company told our correspondent that PENGASSAN members are still working within the refinery presently.

“Those guys were sacked because of their acts of sabotage. Nobody is victimising them. Their September salary has been paid. Can we call that victimisation? They were not sacked for joining PENGASSAN. We have PENGASSAN members still working with us.

See also  Cheers In Abuja As Price Of Cooking Gas Per Kg Drops

“They should also know that all of us in Dangote can be moved to anywhere within the company. You can be moved from cement to refinery, sugar, salt or fertiliser. That is the business. Many of us have been moved in the past,” the official noted.

He denied the allegation that the engineers were paid below N400,000 as salaries.

“The claim of a N400,000 monthly salary is an outright falsehood; it is far more than that,” he emphasised.

The PUNCH recalls that the Dangote refinery had in recent weeks come under fierce attacks. It began with the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers and the Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association of Nigeria, which accused the plant of “monopolistic practices and unfair pricing” after slashing petrol prices.

The marketers alleged that Dangote’s price reductions placed them at a disadvantage and demanded government intervention.

NUPENG clashed with the refinery over workers’ rights, saying Dangote prevented tanker drivers from unionisation. The association shut down the refinery and fuel depots despite a government-brokered agreement.

The crisis escalated when PENGASSAN entered the fray, condemning the mass dismissal of hundreds of workers.

The union responded by directing a halt to crude and gas supplies, sparking nationwide disruptions and fuel queues.

Government mediation eased tension, but stakeholders are waiting for the implementation of agreements reached by all parties during the conciliation meeting organised by the government.

On Tuesday, prominent Nigerians, including the Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi; Bishop Mathew Kukah; Aisha Yesufu and others, spoke in defence of Dangote, warning union leaders against acts that could scare away investors.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Agricultural quarantine service postpones release of recruitment shortlist

Published

on

The Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine Service has postponed the publication of shortlisted candidates for its ongoing recruitment exercise, which was initially scheduled for Thursday, August 13.

NAQS said the decision was made to ensure a thorough, transparent and accurate recruitment process.

The agency announced the postponement in a public notice signed by the Director of Human Resources, ACG Issaka Ahmed, and posted on its X handle on Friday.

“In order to ensure a thorough, transparent and accurate process, we are unable to release the list of shortlisted candidates as scheduled,” the notice stated.

The agency apologised for the delay and urged applicants and members of the public to remain patient while awaiting a new date.

“We sincerely regret any inconvenience or uncertainty this delay may have caused and appreciate the patience, understanding and continued interest of all applicants.

“All applicants and the general public are hereby notified that a new date will be communicated in due course through our official communication channels,” it said.

The agency advised applicants to rely only on information released through its official channels.

The recruitment exercise, which opened on July 28 and closed on August 10, attracted 606,928 attempted applications, while 407,659 were successfully submitted, according to statistics released by NAQS on Wednesday.

The agency said 199,269 applications were incomplete at the close of the application period.

The Assistant Superintendent of Quarantine II cadre, requiring HND or bachelor’s degree, recorded the highest number of applications with 290,076, followed by Quarantine Assistant II with 117,177 applications.

Other cadres included the NCE category with 79,685 applications, OND with 70,170, and the Superintendent cadre requiring a master’s degree with 13,183 applications.

See also  PHOTOS: FAAN Launches Nigeria’s First Fully Electric Airport Shuttle

PUNCH Online reports that NAQS said it will conduct a computer-based test and interviews on August 15, after shortlisted candidates are released on August 13.

However, candidates will now await new dates.

The recruitment exercise covers the Superintendent, Inspectorate and Assistant cadres.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Business

Customs dismiss smuggling, revenue leakage allegations

Published

on

The Nigeria Customs Service has dismissed allegations of increased smuggling, revenue leakage, recruitment impropriety and manipulation of succession within the service, describing them as a misrepresentation of its operations and administrative processes.

The service’s National Public Relations Officer, Deputy Comptroller Abdullahi Maiwada, stated this in a response released on Thursday to an investigative report published by a media outlet (not PUNCH) on August 7, 2026.

The report had alleged intensified smuggling along the Seme, Idiroko, Ilaro, Ipokia and Igbeti-Kishi corridors, as well as manipulation of the 846 valuation code at the Apapa, Tin Can Island and PTML Area Commands.

Maiwada said the claim of a surge in smuggling was inconsistent with the service’s enforcement activities, pointing to regular seizures recorded along the affected corridors.

“Our responsibility is to reduce smuggling to the barest minimum, not to claim that it can be completely eradicated,” he said.

On the 846 valuation code, the NCS explained that it was a digital tool designed for vehicles with non-standard or non-compliant Vehicle Identification Numbers, including specialised heavy equipment, classic vehicles and customised models.

“The 846 code is an established digital valuation code within the Customs portal, specifically designated for vehicles with non-standard or non-compliant Vehicle Identification Numbers,” Maiwada said.

He added that standard vehicles were assessed automatically through manufacturer-linked databases, while 846 applications were subjected to secondary approval by valuation officers and Area Controllers.

Maiwada said discrepancies discovered through post-clearance audits could lead to Demand Notices for the recovery of short-collected duties and sanctions against offending operators, adding that revenue collections at major ports had reached historic levels under the digital framework.

On the recruitment of Assistant Superintendents of Customs II, the Service said the exercise was conducted under the authorisation of the Nigeria Customs Service Board and in line with the NCS Act 2023 and Federal Character Commission guidelines.

See also  FULL LIST: FG lists federal hospitals where dialysis costs ₦12,000

It said successful candidates were issued provisional offers subject to medical verification, background checks and formal acceptance.

The Service also rejected allegations of succession manipulation and favouritism among officers, saying promotions were determined by seniority, merit, promotion examinations and available vacancies in accordance with established regulations.

“Succession and promotion within the Service are governed by established rules and career progression structures, not personal preference,” the Service said.

Maiwada said leadership training for Deputy Comptrollers was part of the Service’s human capital development strategy, aimed at strengthening trade operations, intelligence management and executive leadership.

He explained that approved training programmes and international exposures were funded through budgetary allocations or formal technical assistance arrangements with partner institutions.

Responding to calls for independent investigations, the NCS said it remained subject to oversight by the Federal Ministry of Finance, National Assembly, Office of the Auditor-General for the Federation and anti-corruption agencies.

“The management maintains a firm, intolerant posture toward corruption, revenue leakage or administrative misconduct,” the Service stated.

It added that any officer or stakeholder found culpable would face disciplinary action and prosecution in accordance with the law, while assuring Nigerians that the Service would cooperate with any legitimate investigation by statutory authorities.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Business

Patience Jonathan revealed she mentored Azikel refinery boss Eruani from ‘small boy’ to big businessman

Published

on

Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan’s wife, Patience, has described the Group President of Azikel Group, Dr Azibapu Eruani, as a “small boy” she raised and mentored into the league of Nigeria’s biggest businessmen.

She said her guidance was behind his bold entry into big business at a relatively young age.

The former First Lady spoke on Tuesday in a video which went viral on Thursday during an inspection tour of the Azikel Refinery in Obunagha, Bayelsa State, alongside other dignitaries.

She said she personally introduced Eruani to billionaire businessmen, Aliko Dangote and Aminu Dantata, and pushed him to aspire to their level despite being the youngest among them.

“He’s a boy that I brought up. We are always together. Although he’s the little one among us when we are friends — Dangote, Seyi, Dantata, Eruani — among us, he’s the smallest. But I made sure he followed the Dangotes, he followed Dantata.

“Because I’m a woman in their midst, I made sure I told this small boy, ‘Go and follow them, and stop the grammar.’ But when he told me that one day he would be like Dangote, I said, ‘You’re thinking too high.’ I prayed to God to grant him his heart’s desire,” she said.

Group President of Azikel Group, Dr Azibapu Eruani

The former First Lady also recalled how the immediate past APC administration under Muhammadu Buhari initially failed to grant Eruani a refinery licence before eventually approving three.

“During the Buhari administration, he and others came to me and told me they were going to apply for a refinery. I told him, ‘Eruani, your brother, the President, did not give you a refinery.

See also  Senate, SGF fault Makinde’s UN probe demand on Oyo abduction

“Is it the APC government that will give you one?’ I prayed it would happen. But later, they came back and told me they had been given three refineries,” she said.

The inspection coincided with the arrival of the refinery’s Crude Distillation Unit, a major milestone in the development of the $1bn facility.

The 25,000 barrels-per-day plant is a private hydro-skimming refinery designed to process condensate into petrol, diesel, aviation fuel, kerosene and other products.

It is set to become Nigeria’s second-largest full-slate refinery and the first major privately owned refinery in the Niger Delta.

The Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of the Niger Delta Development Commission, Samuel Ogbuku, who joined the inspection tour, commended Eruani for his perseverance, noting that he had attended the project’s groundbreaking ceremony eight years ago.

Ogbuku described the refinery as an inspiration and a potential catalyst for investment, job creation and economic growth in Bayelsa State, and urged residents, particularly youths, to key into the opportunities it would create.

 

 

He also praised the Bayelsa State Government for improving road infrastructure leading to the refinery site and called for continued support for the project.

Governor Douye Diri, who was represented at the inspection by his deputy, Peter Akpe, has consistently backed the project, which is expected to employ hundreds of workers and drive industrialisation in the state.

Other dignitaries at the event included the Chairman of the Bayelsa State Council of Traditional Rulers, King Bubaraye Dakolo; Vice President of Azikel Group, Presley Asemota; and Isaac Yalah, among others.

See also  FULL LIST: FG lists federal hospitals where dialysis costs ₦12,000

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending