Connect with us

Education

Benin varsities, Nigerian polys in NYSC fraud

Published

on

Some blacklisted universities in the Benin Republic have devised means of sneaking their graduates into the National Youth Service Corps in collaboration with certain private polytechnics in Nigeria.

Our correspondent gathered that the universities now obtain Higher National Diploma and National Diploma certificates for their graduates and students due for graduation through the private polytechnics.

After issuing the HND certificates, the polytechnics would then mobilise the affected students for the mandatory NYSC.

Saturday PUNCH also learnt that the students were asked to pay about N400,000 to obtain the HND certificates from the polytechnics, mostly located in South-West and South-East states.

Blacklisted Benin varsities

In 2024, the Federal Government, through the Ministry of Education, announced the suspension of evaluation and accreditation of degree certificates from the Republic of Benin and Togo.

Over 45 Beninoise and Togolese universities were affected by the suspension.

The Federal Government’s decision followed a report by Daily Nigerian, which exposed the activities of a degree mill in Cotonou, a major city in Benin Republic.

An undercover reporter with the newspaper had obtained a degree from the university within six weeks and even participated in the mandatory NYSC in Nigeria.

Following the ban, some of the affected universities turned to private polytechnics to facilitate NYSC enrolment for their Nigerian graduates.

The connivance

Speaking with Saturday PUNCH, a graduate of Esfam-Benin University, one of the blacklisted universities in Porto Novo, Seun, said his academic records had been forwarded to a Nigerian private polytechnic for processing.

He added that some of his classmates had already been processed and were awaiting their NYSC call-up letters, expected before December.

Seun disclosed that two graduates from the school had already been mobilised for NYSC through the same polytechnic.

He, however, noted that he had spent a fortune on the package.

He said, “Others have completed their processing and are just waiting for NYSC to mobilise them in the next batch. They are currently working on some graduates registered earlier before us. Before the end of the year, those graduates will be posted. I know of two ladies from our school who are already serving now.

“While others have completed their processing, I’m having an issue with my O’Level that I’m resolving. I need to solve that for the new course at the polytechnic. I was told to pay N120,000 for a ‘special centre’ where they will help me pass the GCE or an equivalent exam. Once that’s done, I can register and the portal will be opened for me.

See also  VC seeks support as new medical varsity holds maiden matriculation

“Our names and certificates have already been processed with the polytechnic. Basically, once one has money, you can get a Benin Republic certificate, then take it to a Nigerian polytechnic, again with money, and get a new certificate that allows you to go for NYSC.”

Another graduate of one of the blacklisted universities in Benin Republic explained that a key member of the school’s management informed them about the ‘package’ after the Nigerian government banned institutions in the country.

“When universities in Benin Republic were blacklisted, the school’s key member, Dele, told us that people were still serving in NYSC.

“He said though our university certificates were no longer valid for NYSC, he could help us through a private polytechnic in Nigeria. He told us that he had access to the school and would give us a link, but we had to pay a certain amount.

“He explained we would be able to go for NYSC using the Nigerian polytechnic and that we would be issued National Diploma and Higher National Diploma certificates from that school.

“He also directed us to the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board’s office in Ikoyi, where we met a man who gave us a PIN for registration. When we got there, the man already knew we were from him.”

Our correspondent, who posed as a parent, spoke with another graduate from a Beninoise varsity, Isa, who disclosed that he had been enrolled in one of the polytechnics and was awaiting his call-up.

Isa said he would be going for service before December.

He confirmed that many schools in the West African country were collaborating with Nigerian polytechnics to ensure their students participated in the NYSC.

Isa revealed that he obtained his ND and HND certificates from a private polytechnic in Abia State.

He said, “A private polytechnic in Abia State was arranged for us. The last time I spoke with the registrar, he told me that our names had already been submitted to NYSC. However, they need a few other graduates to go for mobilisation before our turn.

“That’s why I didn’t join the last batch. We’ll be going with the next set after the current one finishes camping. This is not a scam, it’s working.”

How fraudulent scheme works

A university administrator in Porto Novo, who was also part of the syndicate, told Saturday PUNCH that he had withdrawn from the illegal activity.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, the senior official revealed that many banned institutions in Benin Republic were collaborating with Nigerian polytechnics to facilitate NYSC enrolment for their graduates.

See also  Access Holdings appoints Innocent Ike new GMD/CEO

Narrating how the application process is done, he said a Bachelor of Science certificate from a Benin Republic institution is required to prove that a student has graduated.

“After obtaining the certificate from the Benin Republic, we wait for the polytechnic to include the students’ names in the senate list. In Nigeria, NYSC uses the senate list, unlike in the Benin Republic, where they used an evaluation letter.

“Later, the students will be asked to pay some amount of money for the process to begin. When they’ve made the payment, the Nigerian polytechnics will request their transcripts from us and then graduate the students as theirs.

“So, the students who are from Benin schools are given ND and HND certificates from the Nigerian polytechnics to tender for NYSC registration.”

The source noted that since certificates from the Benin Republic were no longer recognised in Nigeria, students had to find alternative means to circumvent the restriction. All schools in Benin are doing the same thing.

“The Nigerian government says it is ready to reinstate our schools in Benin Republic, but the fee they’re requesting is extremely high. None of the schools in Benin can afford it because they have thousands of students, and the total fee is enormous.

“However, schools in Togo, who are also affected, have paid the required amount and have now been cleared,” he added.

A lady, Wunmi, disclosed that her brother, who graduated from one of the blacklisted universities, was awaiting NYSC call-up through the fraudulent arrangement.

She said payment was made to secure a slot from a private polytechnic in Ekiti State.

“I paid a total of N500,000 for the package on behalf of my brother. It was a member of the management at the Benin Republic university where he graduated who introduced us to the arrangement.

“They assured me there was nothing to worry about, as many graduates from the same university had followed the same route and were already serving in the NYSC,” she added.

A document obtained by Saturday PUNCH revealed the names of two Beninoise graduates who had been smuggled into the mobilisation list of a private polytechnic.

Matriculation numbers and CGPAs had been fabricated for them.

Also, grades had already been prepared for their ND and HND certificates.

The graduates were among those who spoke to our correspondent.

Meanwhile, an official of Esfam-Benin University, Femi Simon, denied that the university was involved in such a fraudulent scheme.

See also  WAEC mandates 250 computers, CCTV for schools participating in CBT

He insisted that Esfam had no partnership with any Nigerian institution.

Simon said, “As of today or before today, all our students serve via the available channels before the Nigerian government policy on Benin and Togo, and we are patiently waiting for the final verdict of the government. You can further your investigation if we have ever had any student who served via any other school outside; but we have never mobilised our students from another school.”

It is not possible – NYSC, education ministry

Reacting, the acting NYSC Director of Press and Public Relations, Carol Embu, stated that the NYSC was not aware of the situation.

She said, “We are not aware of this. Foreign graduates are cleared by the Ministry of Education. All foreign graduates pass through them.”

But the spokesperson for the Ministry of Education, Folashade Omoboriowo, told Saturday PUNCH that it was not possible.

She added that the registration portal had been designed to detect such manipulations.

Omoboriowo said, “In fact, we created a portal to streamline this. The portal was modified and used for data capturing for NYSC to mobilise HND students.

“Initially, all HND admissions were to pass through that. We have digitalised our operations and such fraud cannot take place.”

On the matter, she also quoted the Executive Secretary of the National Board for Technical Education, saying, “Let them send one case for us to investigate please. This is the response from the Executive Secretary, NBTE. It is not possible.  If there’s proof, let them bring it up please.”

Reacting to the matter, the National Chairman of the Council of Heads of Polytechnics and Colleges of Technology in Nigeria, Dr Usman Tunga, said he wasn’t aware of such an occurrence.

He stated, “I am not aware of any polytechnic that is doing such to the best of my knowledge. If it is happening, it has not come to my knowledge.”

However, Tunga stated that if any such fraudulent activity was detected, it would be reported to the appropriate authorities for necessary action.

He said, “We can only report to the national body of technical education which is the body responsible for supervising polytechnics so that they can be sanctioned.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Kebbi, Sokoto adjust school calendars for Ramadan

Published

on

Authorities in Kebbi State and Sokoto State have adjusted their 2025/2026 academic calendars to accommodate the ongoing Ramadan fast, reshuffling term dates and holiday periods across schools.

In Kebbi State, the Kebbi State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) extended the ongoing Second Term by two weeks, altering the earlier timetable for the Ramadan break in all public and private primary schools.

Under the revised schedule, the term, previously set to end on February 13, 2026, will now run until February 27, 2026.

” The Ramadan break will begin on February 28 and end on March 21, while schools are to resume on March 22 to complete the term, now slated to close on May 1, 2026″

In a statement issued in Birnin Kebbi on Thursday, SUBEB said the adjustment was approved by the state Ministry for Basic and Secondary Education to ensure adequate academic coverage before the break.

“The extension of the Second Term by two weeks is aimed at allowing schools sufficient time to complete instructional activities and other academic engagements before the Ramadan break,” the statement said.

The board directed Education Secretaries, Head Teachers and School Administrators to strictly comply with the revised calendar to guarantee smooth implementation.

The updated academic plan shows that the First Term ran from August 24 to December 12, 2025, followed by a three-week holiday, while the Third Term is scheduled to begin on May 24 and end on August 14, 2026.

Similarly, the Sokoto State Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education announced adjustments to its calendar in preparation for Sallah.

See also  Lagos NANS demands ban on unregistered trucks after student deaths

In a statement dated February 19, 2026, the Permanent Secretary, Dr. Sanusi Aliyu Binji, said the revised timetable was approved to ensure effective planning and coordination of school activities statewide.

According to the ministry, the Ramadan break will commence on March 6 and end on March 29, 2026, after which academic activities will resume as scheduled.

Both states urged principals, parents and guardians to take note of the changes and support efforts to maintain academic standards during the holy month of Ramadan, a period marked by fasting, prayer and reflection for Muslims.

Education officials say the adjustments are part of routine measures in northern Nigeria to balance religious observances with uninterrupted learning.

Continue Reading

Education

FG plans military medical college to tackle 340,000 doctor shortfall

Published

on

The Federal Government has announced plans to establish the Armed Forces College of Medicine and Health Sciences as part of efforts to address Nigeria’s estimated shortfall of 340,000 doctors.

The decision followed a high-level meeting involving the Minister of Education, Maruf Alausa; the Minister of State for Education, Suiwaba Ahmed; and the Minister of Defence, Christopher Musa, alongside other stakeholders in the education, defence and health sectors.

The development was disclosed in a statement signed by the Director of Press and Public Relations at the Federal Ministry of Education, Boriowo Folasade, on Friday.

According to the statement, Nigeria’s population has exceeded 240 million, while only 189 medical professionals are currently serving within the Armed Forces.

“While the nation’s population exceeds 240 million, only 189 medical professionals currently serve within the Defence Forces.

“He further highlighted Nigeria’s broader deficit of approximately 340,000 doctors, stressing the urgent need for scalable and innovative training models,” the statement read in part.

The proposed AFCOM&HS is designed “as a strategic national intervention to strengthen military healthcare services, address critical manpower shortages within the Armed Forces, and expand Nigeria’s overall medical training capacity.

“It will further position Nigeria as a regional hub for military medical training in West Africa.”

As part of broader reforms, the government said it has increased annual medical school admissions from about 5,000 to nearly 10,000, with projections to scale up to approximately 19,000 in the coming years.

The ministry noted that the new college would form a critical component of this expansion strategy, aimed at building a sustainable pipeline of combat casualty-trained doctors, surgeons, trauma specialists, emergency response medics, military public health and disaster response professionals, as well as other allied health personnel.

See also  Osun offers residents, students free Wi-Fi

The initiative aligns with the administration’s education reform agenda, with emphasis on strengthening science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medical sciences.

According to the statement, the college will operate within the existing university framework of the Nigerian Defence Academy in compliance with the Federal Government’s seven-year moratorium on new tertiary institutions and in line with the directive of President Bola Tinubu.

Clinical training will take place in accredited federal and military hospitals.

Medical cadets will gain admission through the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board and, upon completion of their training, will be commissioned as Captains in the Armed Forces.

A Technical Working Group comprising representatives of the Federal Ministry of Education, Ministry of Defence, Nigerian Defence Academy, MODHIP, the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria, the National Universities Commission, JAMB and other regulatory bodies has been constituted to oversee compliance and quality assurance.

The government said the necessary processes are being put in place for admissions to commence by October or November 2026.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Education

PICTURES: Zulum approves N12.9bn aeronautics scholarship for 54 Borno students

Published

on

Babagana Zulum, Governor of Borno State, has approved a N12.9 billion scholarship scheme to sponsor 54 indigenes of the state to study aeronautics and engineering, alongside various professional certifications, at Isaac Balami University of Aeronautics and Management.

The Senior Technical Assistant to the governor on Print and Digital Communications, Abdulrahman Bundi, said in a statement on Friday that the training programme covers basic pilot training.

PHOTOS: Zulum approves N12.9bn aeronautics scholarship for 54 Borno students

It includes 10 beneficiaries specialising in Aerospace Engineering, 11 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, 11 in Mechatronics Engineering, 12 in Software Engineering, and 10 in Systems Engineering.

At a brief ceremony held at the Government House in Maiduguri on Thursday night, he said, “Zulum presented a cheque for N2.5 billion to the institution, covering the annual tuition and associated expenses, with the 5-year total package valued at N12.9 billion”

Addressing the beneficiaries, Zulum charged them to remain focused and dedicated to their studies.

Zulum during the cheque presentation

He emphasised that the selection process was deliberately designed to ensure equity across the state, with two students chosen from each of Borno’s 27 Local Government Areas.

“What matters most is not just gaining admission, but how focused you will be in your studies. I advise you to remain dedicated and become good ambassadors of our state,” the governor stated.

In addition to funding their education, the governor announced an immediate financial support package of N500,000 per student to cover resumption logistics and other incidental expenses.

Giving an overview of the selection process, the State Commissioner for Education, Lawan Abba Wakilbe, revealed that the scholarship attracted interest from across the state.

See also  WAEC mandates 250 computers, CCTV for schools participating in CBT
PHOTOS: Zulum approves N12.9bn aeronautics scholarship for 54 Borno students

He disclosed that the ministry received over 3,000 applications.

According to the commissioner, the large pool was initially shortlisted to 1,200 candidates, who were then subjected to a written examination, from which the final 54 successful candidates emerged.

“These programmes reflect Governor Zulum’s commitment to human capital development, youth empowerment and investment in education,” Wakilbe said.

The founder of the university, Isaac Balami, an indigene of Borno State, commended Governor Zulum for the initiative, while assuring the government that the students would receive world-class training.

He expressed confidence that they would be among those who would eventually build the first made-in-Nigeria aircraft.

Continue Reading

Trending