Connect with us

Business

Stop exporting crude, OPEC tells Nigerian producers

Published

on

The Chairman of the OPEC Board of Governors for 2025 has called on Nigerian oil producers to prioritise domestic refining and value creation instead of exporting raw crude.

Speaking on Wednesday at the Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationists Pre-Conference Workshop in Lagos, Adeyemi-Bero, who is also the Chief Executive Officer of First Exploration & Petroleum Development Company, said the country must move away from decades of crude exports and focus on retaining value within the local economy.

He said, “We’ve been an oil and gas exporting country. We produced oil; once there was oil, we put it in a tank and sent it abroad. 40 or 50 years later, people blame Shell and others, but I don’t. They are businesses looking for feedstock for their industrialisation. If you give it to them, they’ll still take it.”

Adeyemi-Bero argued that Nigeria had a responsibility to develop its energy resources locally and use them to drive industrial growth, rather than depend on foreign markets.

According to him, President Bola Tinubu would have returned fuel subsidies if the Dangote refinery had not been there to produce fuel locally.

”Just look at the impact the Dangote refinery has had on foreign exchange and gross domestic product growth. You can imagine if that had happened 50 years ago. If the president had said, ‘I’m cancelling subsidies, and I’m not going to allow multiple exchange rates,’ and we didn’t have the option of having petroleum products in this country, I’m sure he would have changed his policies and gone back to subsidies. It’s as simple as that. Let’s not over-aggregate.

See also  IMF raises Nigeria’s growth to 3.9%

This message is saying, We need to decline exports,” Adeyemi-Bero said.

He spoke further that, “If you go to Saudi Arabia today, if you go to the UAE, if you go to Qatar, if you go to Malaysia, if you go to Brazil, they are expanding the value chain and keeping it in their space. Now, one man built a refinery; we fought him, we argued with him. But the impact of that Dangote refinery on our GDP and foreign exchange is big.”

He added that local refining and crude utilisation would also help stabilise the naira and strengthen the nation’s economy.

“If we can sell some oil in naira, let’s do it if it works for both parties. The strength of the naira is what it commands in trade. This is why nobody wants the naira outside this space, but the day you can pay for oil in naira because both parties agree, it strengthens the naira,” he said.

Adeyemi-Bero stressed that Nigeria must deliberately reduce its dependence on exports and focus on value creation to avoid future economic decline.

“We need to decline exports. All of us like to sell, but the person that will buy from us will be willing to buy at the right price. ‘I’m investing in dollars, so don’t come and buy in naira. If I invest in dollars, then pay me in dollars.’ But we could make that happen,” he stated.

He warned that failure to change course could be costly, saying, “We need to shift from being export-driven to value-driven. If we don’t do this over the next decade, we have failed.”

See also  Speed approvals, boost deepwater investments, NNPCL charges NUPRC

The OPEC Governor also called for renewed commitment among local operators, noting that international oil companies had already played their part.

“The internationals have done their bit. But I do think that God also decided to hand over to Nigerians. ‘They’ve started it; now let me give it to the owners to make it happen,” he said.

Adeyemi-Bero emphasised that the oil and gas sector remained central to achieving the country’s economic aspirations, including its $1tn economy target.

“Nigeria wants to be a $1tn economy. Let’s not worry about where we are today. Is it possible? Yes. Who is going to make it possible? We have a responsibility, probably the primary responsibility, to drive that energy. Energy access and security is a must,” he declared.

He further noted that energy-led growth was essential for national development, saying, “The oil and gas sector can enable that to happen. Because without electricity, without fuel, the economy is not going to grow. So we have a responsibility.”

Adeyemi-Bero urged industry players to take ownership of Nigeria’s energy future, stressing, “The baton has been placed in our hands. We can have oil and gas like the UAE, Saudi Arabia, or Qatar, small nations punching their weight through their resources. We must use ours to step up as a country.”

Earlier in his welcome remarks, the President of the Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationists, Mr Johnbosco Uche, said the pre-conference workshop was a vital part of the association’s annual conference and a platform for industry leaders to deliberate on critical sector issues.

Uche explained that this year’s conference theme, ‘Revitalising the Nigerian Petroleum Exploration and Production Strategies for Energy Security and Sustainable Development’, reflected the urgency of the times and the need for collective industry action.

See also  Dangote Refinery appoints new CEO David Bird

He said the country must work to increase production to meet its national target while ensuring long-term sustainability.

“In the near term, we need to increase production. The country is pushing to hit the three million barrels per day target. We have to push it to that three million target. But most importantly, sustaining that production is also key,” Uche stated.

The NAPE president underscored the role of explorers in achieving this objective, adding that maintaining technical excellence was vital for the industry’s survival.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

FG allays fears over tax reforms

Published

on

The Federal Government says the newly enacted tax reforms were crafted to ease the burden on Nigerians, not worsen it, insisting that widespread misinformation is fueling needless fear and anger across the country.

Chairman of the Presidential Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms Committee, Taiwo Oyedele, made the clarification during a courtesy visit to the National Orientation Agency in Abuja on Friday.

Oyedele said the purpose of the visit was to seek NOA’s support in educating citizens about the tax policies, noting that misinformation threatened to derail a reform package he described as “the most consequential and beneficial” of his career.

“You can say subsidy removal came with some amount of pain and sacrifice. Naira floatation also means people have to pay more… But this tax reform is coming with benefits. “Exemption for small businesses, exemption for workers, low-income earners, middle class; reduce their taxes, big companies reduce their taxes, harmonise taxes,” he said.

The tax reform laws were signed by President Bola Tinubu in October 2024 as part of a sweeping overhaul aimed at simplifying Nigeria’s complex tax system.

With implementation set to begin on January 1, 2026, the reforms introduce exemptions for small businesses, reduced tax burdens for workers and the middle class, lower corporate taxes, and harmonisation of multiple taxes across federal, state and local governments.

They also streamline compliance procedures and eliminate nuisance taxes to boost investment.

Oyedele explained that the committee had compiled “50 tax exemptions and reliefs” that would benefit Nigerians but lamented that many citizens, misled by online falsehoods, believed the reforms would impose new burdens.

“Sadly, as good as the reform is, if you go on the streets and ask people about the tax reform, there are people who say they can’t wait to protest on the 1st of January.

See also  PHOTOS: History of Money in Nigeria

“Unfortunately, in our environment, if you have good news, it doesn’t go viral… but misinformation goes viral very quickly.”

He cited a false rumour circulating among farmers in the North that the government planned to seize one out of every four baskets of produce, describing it as a deliberate distortion.

He added that misinformation had also taken ethnic and religious dimensions, stressing the need for NOA’s involvement in communicating the reform’s benefits in local languages and through relatable characters—farmers, students and CEOs—so that “people do not translate this good intention of the government… into a chaotic situation.”

Responding, NOA Director-General Lanre Issa-Onilu described the reforms as “the first comprehensive, far-reaching response in the fiscal and tax space we have seen,” noting that the agency fully understood its responsibility.

“I must understand beyond the level of an average Nigerian to communicate to them. We’ve done a lot of publications, but as you understand more, you realise there is a lot more to say.”

He pledged the deployment of NOA’s extensive nationwide network to disseminate accurate information about the reforms.

Issa-Onilu noted that the agency works with nearly 200 radio stations broadcasting in 72 local languages, 36 television channels, and maintains partnerships with major networks including NTA, Channels, AIT, TVC, Arise and News Central.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Business

Google pledges N3bn to boost Nigeria’s AI capacity

Published

on

Google, via its charitable arm Google.org, on Friday pledged N3bn to Nigeria to accelerate the nation’s digital transformation, directing funds toward artificial-intelligence training and measures to make its booming online environment safer.

The initiative, announced at a press conference in Lagos, is built around a two-pronged strategy and will funnel resources through five local organisations with significant track records in human development. These organisations include the FATE Foundation, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences, the African Technology Forum, Junior Achievement Africa, and the CyberSafe Foundation.

One strand focuses on cultivating advanced AI talent; the other on strengthening digital security. Together, the search engine giant aims to equip Nigeria with both a skilled workforce and a more resilient digital ecosystem, addressing the twin challenges of talent shortages and cyber vulnerability that threaten the country’s ambitious digital agenda.

The Minister of Communications, Innovation & Digital Economy, Bosun Tijani, commented, “Artificial Intelligence sits at the heart of Nigeria’s desire to raise the level of productivity in our economy as well as our ambition to compete globally in technology and innovation.

“I welcome this important and timely investment from Google and Google.org, which reflects the power of meaningful private-sector partnership in nurturing our talent, strengthening our digital infrastructure, and advancing our national AI priorities. This collaboration directly supports our drive to operationalise our National AI Strategy and to position Nigerian innovators at the forefront of the global AI revolution,” he stated.

To develop AI expertise, FATE Foundation, in collaboration with the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences, will integrate advanced AI curricula into universities, equipping students and lecturers with cutting-edge knowledge. Meanwhile, the African Technology Forum will launch an innovation challenge designed to guide developers from learning to creating practical, real-world AI solutions.

See also  Ending over-the-counter antibiotics sales to tackle antimicrobial resistance

The Executive Director of FATE Foundation, Adenike Adeyemi, said, “We are incredibly proud to partner with the African Institute of Management Sciences on the Advanced AI Upskilling Project, with support from Google.org.

“This groundbreaking initiative is a direct response to the urgent need for deep AI competencies in Africa, empowering tertiary institutions, lecturers, and students in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, and South Africa.

“This strategic support aligns perfectly with FATE Foundation’s mission to foster innovation and sustainable economic growth across the continent, ensuring Africa is fully equipped to lead in the global technological future,” the executive told a press conference.

On the digital safety front, Junior Achievement Africa will expand its Be Internet Awesome curriculum to reach more youths, teaching them safe online practices. The CyberSafe Foundation will focus on improving the cybersecurity posture of public institutions, helping them protect sensitive data and digital infrastructure from cyber threats.

The initiative aligns with Nigeria’s National AI Strategy and the government’s goal of creating one million digital jobs. According to research by Public First, the country is projected to unlock $15bn in economic value from AI by 2030, making the development of both skills and digital safety critical for sustainable growth.

The Director for West Africa at Google, Olumide Balogun, said, “Google has been a foundational partner in Nigeria’s digital journey, and this N3bn commitment is the next chapter in that story.

“This is an investment in people, aimed at empowering them with advanced AI skills and ensuring a safe digital space to operate. We are honoured to continue our collaboration in support of the ministry’s efforts to help build a future where the promise of AI creates opportunity for everyone.”

See also  The Rise and Fall of Volkswagen in Nigeria’s Auto Industry

This announcement builds on Google’s long-standing commitment to Nigeria, including infrastructure investments such as the Equiano subsea cable and successful initiatives like the 2023 Skills Sprint programme, a N1.2bn commitment to Mind the Gap.

The programme trained 20,991 participants, including 5,217 women in AI and tech, and enabled 3,576 participants to move into jobs, internships, or businesses, demonstrating tangible progress in advancing Nigeria’s digital economy.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Business

Health minister, manufacturers clash over sugary drink levy

Published

on

A heated debate erupted at the Senate on Thursday as lawmakers, federal ministries, and industry groups clashed over a proposal to sharply increase excise duties on carbonated sugar-sweetened beverages.

The confrontation unfolded during a public hearing convened by the Senate Committees on Finance and Customs to consider a bill that would levy a percentage-based tax per litre of SSBs.

Lawmakers argued that raising the existing N10/litre tax is necessary to discourage excessive sugar consumption and boost funding for public health initiatives.

The session, chaired by Senator Sani Musa (Niger East), highlighted deep divisions among stakeholders.

While health advocates and medical associations backed the measure, industry players pushed back vigorously.

The Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Pate, threw his ministry’s weight behind the bill, describing it as a critical step toward safeguarding the country’s future health financing.

“We commend the Senate for proposing a bill that increases the excise tax on sugar-sweetened beverages and earmarks part of the revenue for health promotion,” Pate said. “This demonstrates political will, aligns fiscal policy with public health goals, and provides sustainable financing for prevention programmes—essential steps toward achieving universal health coverage.”

Pate urged the Senate to go further by increasing the SSB tax from N10 per litre to at least 20 per cent of the retail price, in line with World Health Organisation guidance.

He also recommended that at least 40 per cent of the revenue be reinvested into programmes targeting diet-related illnesses, including diabetes and hypertension.

“Failure to act now will saddle Nigeria with an overwhelming disease burden in the next 10 to 20 years,” Pate warned. “Prevention is far more cost-effective than cure.”

See also  PHOTOS: History of Money in Nigeria

Health-sector groups, including the Nigeria Cancer Society and the Diabetes Association of Nigeria, voiced strong support for the bill.

But several economic stakeholders opposed the proposal.

The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, the Ministry of Finance, and the Nigeria Employers Consultative Association cautioned that a higher tax could have unintended consequences.

Adeyemi Folorunsho, a director representing MAN, argued that the proposed hike could trigger job losses and disrupt growth in the beverage industry. He also challenged the assumption that SSB consumption is a major driver of diabetes and obesity in Nigeria.

“Contrary to popular belief, Nigeria has one of the lowest sugar consumption rates in the world—8.3 million kilogrammes compared with the 22.1 million kilogrammes expected,” Folorunsho said. He called on the Senate to adopt a “win-win approach” in shaping the legislation.

In his closing remarks, Senator Musa assured participants that the final law would balance public health goals with economic realities.

“The committees will carefully weigh all submissions before presenting a harmonised draft to the Senate,” he said. “Legislation presented to Nigerians will be fair, transparent, and people-oriented.”

Nigeria introduced the N10-per-litre SSB tax in 2022 to curb rising rates of obesity, diabetes, and other non-communicable diseases.

However, health experts argue that the levy is far below global standards and has had minimal impact on consumption.

Manufacturers, meanwhile, warn that the industry is still recovering from inflation, foreign exchange pressures, and declining consumer purchasing power.

They caution that higher taxes could lead to plant closures, job cuts, and lower government revenue.

The Senate’s push to amend the law has reignited a long-running clash between public health advocates and economic stakeholders.

See also  Speed approvals, boost deepwater investments, NNPCL charges NUPRC

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending