Connect with us

News

No safe haven for terrorists, bandits in 2026 — Guards Brigade

Published

on

The Guards Brigade of the Nigerian Army has warned terrorists, bandits and other criminal elements that they will face stiff resistance in 2026, declaring that no part of its area of responsibility will be allowed to serve as a safe haven.

The Commander, Guards Brigade, Brigadier-General Adebisi Onasanya, issued the warning on Saturday during the annual ascent of Aso Rock in Abuja, an exercise marking the conclusion of the brigade’s training activities for the year.

Onasanya said 2025 had been particularly demanding for the formation, noting that in addition to its traditional role of protecting the President, the brigade recorded increased operational engagements across the Federal Capital Territory and neighbouring areas.

According to him, the brigade conducted several clearance operations during the year, especially in areas prone to criminal activities.

“At the beginning of the year, we had a lot of bandits lurking around. We carried out a series of clearance operations from Bwari to Abaji, Gwagwalada and parts of Niger State. We made a lot of arrests, recovered weapons and neutralised several bandits,” he said.

He added that criminal elements who attempted to foment trouble within the FCT were also apprehended and dealt with in line with the law.

The brigade commander said the successes recorded were made possible through sustained collaboration with other security agencies, including the Nigeria Police Force, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, the Department of State Services, as well as support from the Nigerian Navy and the Nigerian Air Force.

Onasanya commended officers and soldiers of the Guards Brigade for their dedication and professionalism, stressing that the formation recorded no issues relating to commitment or discipline among its personnel throughout the year.

See also  Commissioner reveals why Kano deputy governor should resign

He urged the troops not to relent, noting that the coming year would require even greater commitment in line with the President’s declaration of a state of emergency in the security sector.

“We have another year ahead of us. As we go into 2026, we must be even more committed.

“In line with the President’s declaration of a state of emergency in the security sector, we must ensure we give our full support. As Guards Brigade, we are always ready and loyal to commit ourselves to the best of our ability,” he said.

Looking ahead, the commander assured residents of Abuja and its environs that the Guards Brigade would continue to maintain a high level of operational readiness.

“No stone will be left unturned. Any bandits or criminals who think they can use our area of responsibility as a safe haven will not find it easy,” Onasanya said.

The Guards Brigade is tasked with protecting the President and critical national assets within the Federal Capital Territory and its environs.

The warning issued to terrorists and other criminal elements underscores the brigade’s resolve to rid its area of responsibility of criminal activities in 2026.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  PHOTOS: Father, son, three others d!e in Kano well collapse and fire incident

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Soyinka To Trump You Lack Understanding Of Nigeria’s Complex Security Challenges

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Commissioner reveals why Kano deputy governor should resign
Continue Reading

Trending