Connect with us

News

Nigerians in South Africa threaten protest over killing of compatriot

Published

on

The Nigerian community in South Africa has threatened to embark on a protest to demand justice for a Nigerian national, Emeka Uzor, who was reportedly shot dead during an anti-drug operation in Gauteng, a suburban region of Johannesburg.

Uzor was reportedly killed at about 3pm on February 8, 2026, at a Carltex garage in Windsor East, Randburg, a suburb of Johannesburg.

In a statement published on its website and seen by PUNCH Metro on Monday, ActionSA confirmed that the shooting occurred during its anti-drug raid.

The statement read, “ActionSA can confirm that during an anti-drug operation yesterday, joined by ActionSA’s Ekurhuleni Mayoral Candidate, Cllr Xolani Khumalo, a shooting incident occurred in which a Nigerian suspect, identified as being involved in drug trafficking, was shot.

“For too long, drug syndicates have terrorised our communities through violence, intimidation and total disregard for the law. ActionSA will continue to support every decisive and lawful measure to dismantle this scourge and confront the violent resistance of criminals who have grown comfortable believing they are untouchable. That era must and will end.”

The group added that its 10-Point Action Plan to fix Ekurhuleni empowered it to deploy all available resources to combat crime in the area.

“From cleaning up the EMPD, to establishing specialised units to dismantle drug syndicates and gangs in key hotspots, to deploying detection and crime-mapping technology for rapid response, and to reskilling and capacitating Community Policing Forums, ActionSA has a clear plan to reverse Ekurhuleni’s descent into lawlessness,” the statement added.

However, the President of the Nigerian Union in South Africa, Smart Nwobi, disputed claims that Uzor was a drug dealer and accused those involved in the operation of acting unlawfully.

See also  Remi Tinubu gives grants to persons with disabilities in Sokoto

Speaking to PUNCH Metro on Monday, Nwobi said the deceased ought to have been arrested if he was truly into drugs instead of being killed.

He said, “What we are saying now is that the victim is not a drug dealer. My question is this: do you shoot a drug dealer from a distance, or do you arrest a drug dealer? Anytime a Nigerian is killed carelessly, the narrative that is pushed is that maybe he is a fraudster or a drug dealer, so that people will not ask questions. That is the usual statement, and we are not going to take it easy this time.”

“Something similar happened last year, and nothing was done. That is why they continue to take advantage of our people. There have been no diplomatic reactions, no strong statements from the government.”

The union president further alleged that the same individual involved in Uzor’s killing had previously been linked to the disappearance of another Nigerian.

“It is the same person who shot Uzor who has made one of our brothers disappear till today. He is not a police officer. He is a security outfit personnel who electrocuted one of our brothers and took his body. Up till now, we have not found him,” he alleged.

He said the Nigerian community had written to the newly arrived Consul General and warned that protests would follow if no action was taken.

In an official statement later issued on Monday and sent to PUNCH Metro, the union said the deceased, who hailed from Nkerefi in Nkanu East Local Government Area of Enugu State, was shot multiple times while seated inside his parked vehicle.

See also  Senate recalls members from recess over rising insecurity

The union alleged that Uzor was killed after being hit by more than 12 bullets, adding that stray bullets from the shooting damaged nearby vehicles and endangered other civilians at the scene.

“NUSA notes with grave concern that the incident occurred in the presence of a media production team that included Mr Xolani Khumalo, a former host of Sizok’thola on Moja Love and the ActionSA Ekurhuleni mayoral candidate. The union categorically condemns the subsequent media statement credited to Mr Khumalo, which appeared to justify this heinous act. Such statements are careless, irresponsible, deeply inhumane, and demonstrate a profound disregard for the sanctity of human life.

“This tragic killing bears disturbing similarities to the unresolved case of Mr Silas Ani, another Nigerian national allegedly killed under comparable circumstances, whose body was reportedly removed from the crime scene by members of the same television crew. These incidents point to a deeply troubling pattern of brutal violence against Nigerian nationals in South Africa.”

The Nigerian Union South Africa called on the South African government, particularly the Minister of Police and the National Commissioner of the South African Police Service, to conduct a thorough, transparent and impartial investigation into Uzor’s killing.

It also demanded that all those involved in the incident be brought to justice and that authorities address what it described as recurring violence against Nigerians living in the country.

The union further called for the accountability of Khumalo and his associates over their actions and statements relating to the incident.

While expressing confidence in South Africa’s justice system, the union warned that extrajudicial killings had no place in a constitutional democracy.

See also  CJN bans Nigerian lawyers from using ‘Barrister’ title with immediate effect

Nwobi called on Nigerians in South Africa to remain calm and law-abiding, assuring them that the union was working with relevant authorities to ensure justice.

The union extended its condolences to the family and friends of the deceased, praying for strength for them to bear the loss.

When contacted on Monday, the spokesperson for the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abdulrahman Balogun, said the commission had yet to receive an official correspondence on the incident.

“I only read it online. No one has officially contacted us. We will take action once we are officially informed,” he said.

Several high-profile cases involving Nigerians have sparked diplomatic tensions between Nigeria and South Africa, with community leaders accusing South African authorities and security operatives of profiling Nigerians as criminals, especially drug traffickers and fraudsters.

PUNCH Metro reported in July 2025 that two Nigerians, identified simply as Austin and Ayo, were shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Durban, South Africa.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  US ambassador posts vacant in Nigeria, 116 countries – Report

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Senate recalls members from recess over rising insecurity
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Veteran Nollywood actor, Fabian Adibe, d!es at 81

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending