Connect with us

News

Nigerians risk deportation as UK scraps sponsorship for over 100 skilled jobs

Published

on

Panic has gripped thousands of Nigerians working in the United Kingdom on Certificate of Sponsorship or Skilled Worker visas over the new regulations announced by the British government.

The UK government, in its efforts to control immigration, has removed over 100 jobs, including skilled worker roles, from CoS eligibility, while the salary thresholds for other jobs on the scheme have also been increased by at least 30 per cent.

The government removed lower-skilled roles (previously at RQF Level 3–5) from CoS eligibility unless they appear on a newly created Temporary Shortage Occupation List.

Some of the delisted jobs include managers and proprietors in agriculture, forestry, hospitality, and logistics (SOC 1211–1258); health, community and welfare roles such as dispensing opticians, pharmaceutical technicians, youth and community workers, and counsellors (SOC 3211–3224); protective service roles like police officers (sergeant and below), fire service officers, and prison officers (SOC 3312–3314); as well as creative and performing arts professionals, including artists, authors, translators, actors, dancers, photographers, and interior or fashion designers (SOC 3411–3429), among others.

The regulations, which took effect on July 22, 2025, affect various visa routes, including the Skilled Worker and Health and Care visas, along with the requirements for sponsoring foreign workers.

The new regulations increased the general Skilled Worker salary threshold to £41,700 or higher depending on the role, while health and care roles remained at £25,600.

However, employers in health and care roles must show the salary after all deductions, including accommodation or transport, meaning that the £25,600 is the minimum amount to be received by any of their employees after all deductions.

Many roles previously eligible for the CoS, such as entry-level IT and customer service, no longer qualify unless employers raise pay substantially in line with the new regulations.

The UK government has also increased the minimum skill level to Level 6 (Bachelor’s degree level), while the previously eligible Level 3–5 roles (some admin, technical support, care supervisors) may now be excluded.

See also  PHOTOS: President Tinubu receives Anambra state gov, Charles Soludo, in Abuja

Findings revealed that the new regulations have sent jitters down the spine of thousands of Nigerians who are clearly going to be affected by the new rules.

Explaining the new regulations, a UK-based travel agent, Kayode Alabi, said Nigerians and other nationals on CoS visas secured with the delisted jobs might be stranded at the end of the expiration of their agreement with their sponsors.

Alabi, who is the Chief Executive Officer of Phika Travels and Tours, said the affected individuals would not be able to renew their visas upon completion of their current sponsorship, which he said usually lasts between one and five years.

He said, “No Nigerians have been sacked because of the new regulations, but their fate will hang in the balance because at the end of their current sponsorship, those whose jobs have been removed from CoS eligibility will not be able to find a new job in that category, and their visa will not be renewed. If you don’t have a valid visa, you become an illegal immigrant.

“Another challenge those whose jobs were retained under the new regulations will face is that their employers may not be able to pay the new salary threshold, which has risen to £41,700 from £24,000, £25,000 or £26,000 per annum.

“If you are not on any of the delisted job roles, you will still be earning the salary you were earning when you received sponsorship, which is usually between one and five years. By the time that sponsorship expires, will your company be able to pay the new salary threshold? That is the issue.”

He confirmed that many Nigerians were already panicking as a result of the new rules.

“We can say there is panic among our people. Yes, there is. People don’t know what will become their fate at the expiration of their sponsorship, especially when the eligibility criteria for other jobs have been increased. People are afraid,” he said.

Our correspondents gathered that the fear of returning home has gripped affected Nigerians.

See also  Fuel war brews as Dangote presses Tinubu to ban imports

A Nigerian in the UK, Banjo Fola, confirmed to Saturday PUNCH that many Nigerians, including himself, were affected by the new regulations.

Fola, who didn’t disclose his job, said, “My visa with this current job will expire in some months, and my employer has said he cannot afford the new salary threshold. It is very hard. I don’t even know what to do.”

Another Nigerian on a CoS visa in the country, who requested anonymity, expressed fear that she might return home at the expiration of her sponsorship next month because of the new rules.

Also, a Nigerian caregiver in the United Kingdom raised concerns over the recent changes to the UK’s Skilled Worker visa scheme, revealing that she may be forced to return home due to the new salary threshold and job delisting.

She said, “My sponsorship will expire in August, and the new regulation has made it impossible to get a new job because of the salary threshold. I may likely return home.”

Expressing similar fears, another Nigerian who spoke on condition of anonymity said he and many others were unsure of their future in the UK.

“Things are not easy. The new rules have cut short our plans to stay longer here. But our current jobs have been removed, meaning that we will be jobless in the next one year. I came here (UK) in February 2023 on a Certificate of Sponsorship. My sponsorship is for three years, so I have less than a year to find another job, which is not even there because of the new salary threshold,” he said.

Commenting on the development, the Chief Executive Officer of Cardinal E-School and Edu Services, Mr Sulaimon Okewole, said over 10,000 Nigerians might be forced to return home as a result of the new rules.

He said it was disheartening that the regulations were affecting many Nigerians who had made long-term career plans in the UK.

Okewole said, “While the UK government’s goal of reducing net migration is understandable, the impact on Nigerians, a community known for its immense contribution to the UK’s workforce, demands some discussions.

See also  2027: Atiku delays ADC membership card collection amid rumoured Jonathan comeback

“The most immediate concern is the sharp rise in salary thresholds for Skilled Worker visas. For many Nigerians, especially those in sectors like healthcare and IT, this could mean fewer job offers unless UK employers adjust pay scales. This may be a tough task in an economy already dealing with inflation.”

He added that professionals who previously saw the UK as a viable destination may now find their options limited unless they secure roles that meet the higher salary bands.

“It is no doubt that over 10,000 Nigerians will be affected by this new regulation, as they will probably return home or find another destination,” he said.

He also predicted that more Nigerians seeking foreign employment would likely begin exploring opportunities in other countries, as the UK becomes increasingly unfavourable.

A student of the University of Ibadan, Eniola, whose mother works as a caregiver in the UK, also expressed concern.

She said her mother was already grappling with the implications of the new regulation.

“She has practically lost her job because the sponsorship will come to an end in November. She has been there since 2023. She informed me that her job has been delisted, and she is not sure she will find a fresh sponsor or new job. I can tell from our conversation that she is afraid,” Eniola said.

According to data from the UK Home Office, 10,245 Nigerians were issued Skilled Worker visas in 2021. That figure dropped slightly to 8,491 in 2022, before rising to 26,715 in 2023.

However, for 2024, recent data shows that work visa grants for Nigerians are beginning to decline, with fewer Health and Care Worker visas issued in the first half of the year compared to 2023.

 

FOLLOW US ON:

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  2027: Atiku delays ADC membership card collection amid rumoured Jonathan comeback

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  US defends Soyinka’s visa revocation
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  PHOTOS: President Tinubu receives Anambra state gov, Charles Soludo, in Abuja

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Fuel war brews as Dangote presses Tinubu to ban imports

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending