Connect with us

Politics

Makinde warns Wike camp against stopping PDP convention

Published

on

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has warned those attempting to disrupt preparations for the Peoples Democratic Party’s forthcoming National Convention slated for November 15 and 16 in Ibadan, Oyo State, describing such efforts as an attempt to stop a moving train—an act he likened to political suicide.

Makinde, who spoke with journalists on Monday shortly after inaugurating the PDP National Convention Transportation Subcommittee in Abuja, pledged that Oyo State would deliver the best convention in the party’s history.

Following months of internal turmoil within the PDP, several prominent politicians have aligned with the African Democratic Congress-led opposition coalition ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Those who have joined the coalition include former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, former Senate President David Mark, and ex-presidential aspirant Dele Momodu.

At the same time, the ruling All Progressives Congress has attracted a number of PDP leaders, notably Akwa Ibom Governor Umo Eno, Delta State Governor Sheriff Oborevwori, and the party’s 2023 vice-presidential candidate, Ifeanyi Okowa.

With the PDP’s National Elective Convention set to hold in Ibadan on November 15–16, there are indications that Enugu State Governor Peter Mbah and Bayelsa State Governor Douye Diri might also defect to the APC before the event.

Meanwhile, allies of the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, have expressed dissatisfaction with the Umar Damagum-led National Working Committee, citing grievances over the South-South zonal structure, party leadership in Cross River, Akwa Ibom, and Plateau States, as well as the convention’s micro-zoning arrangement.

The group has warned that the convention may not proceed as planned unless the party revisits its decisions. In a bid to enforce their stance, they have reportedly taken steps to seek legal intervention to halt the convention.

According to TheCable, the Federal High Court in Abuja last week declined to grant an interim order restraining the PDP from holding its national convention.

Justice James Omotosho, in his ruling delivered on Thursday, dismissed an ex parte application filed by Wike’s associates seeking to stop both the Independent National Electoral Commission and the PDP from proceeding with the scheduled leadership meetings and convention.

Responding to these attempts, Makinde—who serves as Chairman of the National Convention Transportation Subcommittee—affirmed that the event would proceed as planned.

He said, “This meeting is just a demonstration of the fact that the National Convention of our great party—the train—has moved, and whoever is trying to stop a moving train is probably also trying to commit suicide. So my advice is this: no matter how highly placed, no matter what has transpired in the past, we don’t want to see anyone dead. So please, don’t commit suicide.”

See also  Forensic report reveals Amupitan has no X account, says INEC

Makinde stated that the party remains unbothered by the defections, emphasising that the final decision rests with the Nigerian people.

He said, “We have a party that has gone through a full cycle. We have been a government in power since democracy returned to Nigeria in 1999. We’ve faced the challenges of governing this country. We have people with experience who have occupied positions of leadership. We went to the bottom of it when we lost power in 2015, and we’ve been in opposition since then.

“Challenges will come and go, but for us as leaders, no matter the situation we find ourselves in, organising the party is not an end in itself. The end is for Nigerians to have democracy and a party they can relate with. If you say somebody is defecting or that our house is not in order, democracy is about conflict, conflict resolution, and resilience.

“In fact, we must be happy that we have a party that has refused to be distracted and has stayed focused on what the Nigerian people would like to see. Do we want a one-party state in Nigeria? From the last time I checked, the answer is no. Nigerians want a multi-party democracy. They want people to come up with ideas, and that is exactly what we’re doing in the PDP. So, we’re not distracted. We’re not concerned or bothered about the defections because the ultimate decider here will be the Nigerian people.”

When questioned about his reported 2027 presidential ambition, Makinde said his priority was ensuring a smooth National Convention, stressing that the PDP must endure for any personal ambition to be realised.

He said, “I have said several times that I am old enough to set an agenda for myself. For us, we must have a party before anyone can have an ambition.

“All the efforts right now—except you’re saying forget about having a party and focus on ambition—are about ensuring that Oyo State is able to host the best National Convention ever in the history of the PDP. That is exactly what we’re focused on.”

Earlier in his address to committee members, Makinde urged party members not to lose hope over the recent wave of defections, assuring them that the party’s current challenges are temporary and that victory lies ahead.

He noted that although the party is currently facing a difficult period, the experience would eventually fortify the PDP and position it for future electoral victories.

“We are from every corner of this country — from the North-West, North-Central, North-East, South-West, South-South, and South-East. That is the PDP,” Makinde said. “They may say the PDP is not everywhere, but I assure you that the PDP exists in every ward of this country.

“This situation may appear difficult. The news is that people are defecting — governors, leaders, and all. But I have good news: when something lasting is being built, it often gets worse before it gets better. So don’t despair. Since 1999, the PDP has always been a constant — either as the ruling party or the main opposition. We’re not going anywhere.”

See also  Opposition parties rush to submit membership registers before INEC deadline

Makinde urged members to stay committed to the party’s ideals and hold their ground at the grassroots level.

“When you hear that people have defected, just hold your own corner for the PDP,” he said. “This is the moment when new and authentic heroes will emerge — not only for our party but for our country. This is not the time for self-doubt. It’s the time to stand tall and be counted.”

The governor also expressed confidence that the forthcoming National Convention would produce capable leaders committed to repositioning the PDP and rebuilding Nigeria.

“I am holding my own corner, and it will all add up,” he said. “Trust the leadership that will emerge from this convention — they will help rescue this country. No matter how little your role, perform it diligently. Together, we’ll all reap the benefits.”

Reflecting on his own role, Makinde recalled that he had served as Secretary of the PDP National Convention Organising Committee in 2021 and now chairs the Transportation Subcommittee.

“No assignment is too big or too small to move our party forward,” he said. “Even as a transportation subcommittee, our work is crucial — ensuring the safe and efficient movement of delegates and supporters from across Nigeria to Ibadan. The success of the convention will depend on how effectively we handle this task.”

Makinde appealed to party members to have confidence in the leadership that will emerge from the forthcoming PDP National Elective Convention, assuring them that the party will produce capable leaders committed to rescuing Nigeria.

He continued, “I am holding my own corner. It will all add up. And watch my lead. Trust me. Trust the leadership that we will enthrone, and the leadership that will midwife the enthronement of the leaders that will eventually help this country.

“So what I will ask is, just play your part. No matter how little, no matter what assignment you have been given, do it diligently, and we will all reap the benefits.

“I thank you for accepting to serve in this subcommittee. If you remember, four years ago, in 2021, I was the Secretary of the National Convention Organising Committee. Now they’ve asked me to be the Chairman of this subcommittee, and I accepted, because no assignment is too big or too small to ensure that our party gets on the trajectory where we can again say to Nigerians that we have an idea.

See also  ADC warns against political witch-hunt in coup probe

“So some of you may also be in the same situation as myself. Maybe you’ve served before now in some higher capacity. What I want you to do is see this assignment as a special sacrifice to ensure that the PDP gets back on its original trajectory.

“And for the assignment at hand, you may think, what’s a Transportation Subcommittee? We really want to ensure all the logistics of moving our delegates and supporters from every nook and cranny of Nigeria to Ibadan.

“So our work is not when they show up in Ibadan; our work will start before they even leave home. It’s a major task, and the success of that convention will depend on the efficiency that we are able to put into our assignment.”

In his remarks, the Co-Chairman of the PDP National Convention and former Minister of Special Duties, Tanimu Turaki (SAN), stated that the party is firmly on track to regain the Presidency.

He said, “Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, from the turnout of members of this committee, Nigerians will now know that the PDP is on course, that the journey to reclaim Aso Rock has started.”

PDP National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, also stated that the party continues to enjoy the widest support among Nigerians.

He expressed confidence that, with the backing of the people, the party will reclaim power in 2027 following its successful convention in Ibadan.

Ologunagba said, “This is the only democratic party in this country. This is the only party that is based on principles, on policies, and organised in such a way that it is a bottom-up approach — starting from the wards to the local government, through the zones, and, of course, to the national level.

“This party belongs to the people. We enjoy their support. And with the support of the people, we will defeat the failed All Progressives Congress government come 2027.

“And because we are an organised party, consistently over a period of four years, we always set a standard by having an elective National Convention that will produce a new set of leaders to manage the affairs of the party.”

All attempts to reach Lere Olayinka, the Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media to the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, for comments were unsuccessful, as he did not respond to inquiries from our correspondent.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Tinubu doesn’t fully trust me because I supported Peter Obi — Cubana Chief Priest

Published

on

Socialite and businessman Pascal Okechukwu, popularly known as Cubana Chief Priest, has said President Bola Tinubu remains wary of him because of his support for Peter Obi during the 2023 presidential election.

Cubana Chief Priest, who serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the Pro-Tinubu City Boys Movement, stated this during a livestream with popular streamer Peller.

Speaking in a video circulating on Wednesday, the socialite discussed what he described as lingering suspicion from the presidency tied to his ethnic background and previous political alignment.

“President Bola Tinubu no really trust me as an Igbo man that I am. He look me with one eye because he believes that this one that worked for Peter Obi, before at the last election,” Chief Priest stated.

He explained his decision to switch allegiance to Tinubu, citing a desire to back a winning side and avoid repeated political losses.

Asked why he left Peter Obi, he said, “Because I don’t want to lose again because they say first fool no be fool na the second fool be proper fool.”

Chief Priest further dismissed the prospects of Obi in the 2027 presidential election, describing the Nigeria Democratic Party aspirant as “not serious” and asserting that “the serious people will win.”

The comments, which quickly circulated on social media, sparked widespread reactions, with many criticising Chief Priest for alleged political opportunism and questioning his loyalty to the Igbo cause.

Others, however, viewed his remarks as a pragmatic reflection of Nigeria’s winner-takes-all political landscape.

Chief Priest was notably vocal in support of Obi and the Labour Party ahead of the 2023 polls.

See also  Abductions: US demands action, FG vows to track bandits

He has since aligned with the ruling All Progressives Congress and Tinubu.

He recently purchased an APC primary form for a House of Representatives seat but pulled out on the morning of the election on Saturday.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

NDC clears Peter Obi for presidential primary

Published

on

Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has been cleared to contest in the presidential primary of the Nigeria Democratic Congress ahead of the 2027 general election.

Chairman of the NDC National Screening Committee, Sam Egwu, announced Obi’s clearance in a video shared on the party’s official X account on Wednesday.

The screening exercise was conducted in Abuja on Tuesday.

Egwu said the committee was satisfied that Obi met all constitutional and statutory requirements to contest for the presidency.

“This is to certify that, following the screening of His Excellency Peter Obi by the National Screening Committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, and having satisfied ourselves that he has complied with all the requirements of the constitution of the party, the Electoral Act, and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), dealing with eligibility to contest the presidential election, and having provided satisfactory answers to all questions put to him by members of the committee, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on dates to be announced by the party,” Egwu stated.

Reacting via his official X account on Wednesday, Obi said the screening lasted more than two and a half hours, during which members of the committee examined his credentials and questioned him on his vision for Nigeria.

“Yesterday, May 19, in Abuja, I attended the presidential screening organised by our party, which took over two and a half hours. They carefully reviewed all my documents, including my degree certificates, NYSC credentials, and age declarations.

See also  Middle East war may force Nigerians to work from home – Dangote

“During the process, I also addressed questions regarding my vision for a new Nigeria and the type of leadership our nation urgently needs right now.

“Following this, I was cleared and received the presidential nomination form I had previously paid for,” he said.

Obi also commended the screening committee and the party leadership for what he described as a credible and transparent process.

“I would like to commend the screening committee, led by former governor Sam Egwu, for their thorough and professional approach. Additionally, I appreciate our party’s leadership for upholding the democratic process,” he added.

The development comes amid ongoing political realignments ahead of the 2027 general election, with opposition parties intensifying consultations and preparations for party primaries and coalition talks.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Otti-Abure truce crumbles amid Labour Party crisis

Published

on

Factional National Chairman of the Labour Party, Julius Abure, has dismissed speculations that reconciliation talks between his camp and Abia State Governor, Dr Alex Otti, collapsed over alleged financial demands, insisting that money was never discussed during the closed-door meeting.

Abure disclosed this in an interview with The PUNCH amid a lingering leadership crisis rocking the opposition party.

The development comes barely one month after Otti declared that the Labour Party remained open to reconciliation with Abure and his loyalists ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The Abia governor had made the remark during the inaugural meeting of the party’s National Working Committee held at the party’s national headquarters in Abuja, where he attended as an observer.

But speaking with our correspondent, Abure clarified that the recent engagement with Otti was strictly convened to explore reconciliation and chart a path toward unity within the party, but eventually ended in a deadlock over disagreements surrounding the control and structure of the party.

According to him, the talks failed because Otti allegedly insisted that the existing party structure be dissolved before any reconciliation could move forward.

He said, “We need to make it categorically clear that the meeting we had with Governor Otti was purely for reconciliation and how to forge ahead. But that meeting produced no headway because the governor refused to give an inch due to his earlier recalcitrant stand.

“First, to share the positions in the NWC. Secondly, to take his governorship ticket and produce all the state House of Assembly candidates, including all the candidates for House of Representatives and Senate in Abia state.

“Lastly, to produce any other governorship, House of Representatives and senatorial candidates in other states where he might have an interest.

See also  FG backs DHQ as coup rumour sparks political firestorm

“We further conceded the offices of the National Secretary and other key national offices. But with all these sacrifices from the leadership, the governor declined all the proposals and insisted that all positions in the NWC have already been filled by him, while offering us the Vice Chairman and Secretary of the Board of Trustees.”

Abure also rejected allegations that he demanded financial inducement from the governor as part of the reconciliation process, describing the claims as false and deliberate misinformation.

“We also need to make it very clear that a lot of misconceptions have been spreading, probably deliberately, that the leadership of the Labour Party requested huge sums of money from Abia State governor, Dr Alex Otti, to reconcile.

“At no time was the issue of money discussed. Nobody made any financial requests, and nobody offered any money to anyone. We are therefore calling on all party members and supporters to disregard the fake news, whose sources are not too difficult to decipher,” he clarified.

The factional chairman expressed disappointment over the outcome of the reconciliation effort, blaming what he described as Otti’s intransigence for the collapse of the talks.

Abure further stated that his leadership would continue efforts to “recover the party” from what he termed “political buccaneers and merchants” allegedly bent on destabilising the Labour Party.

He also expressed confidence that the lingering leadership dispute would eventually be resolved by the Supreme Court following the appeal filed at the apex court.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Opposition parties rush to submit membership registers before INEC deadline

Continue Reading

Trending