Connect with us

News

After US Strikes…Sokoto Warns Neighbours As Lakurawa Terrorists Flee

Published

on

The U.S. airstrikes that hit Lakurawa terrorists’ camps in Tangaza have forced many terrorists to flee, investigations by LEADERSHIP Sunday have revealed.

The airstrikes reportedly targeted a Lakurawa terrorist camp in Tandami village, Tangaza Local Government Area (LGA), bordering Illela LGA, resulting in the deaths of several terrorists, according to residents.

According to reports, authorities have alerted neighbouring states to Sokoto that Lakurawa members may have fled the area after the recent airstrikes and that they need to take necessary precautions to protect their states.

Meanwhile, more explosive devices have been discovered at a different location from where the first bomb fell in Jabo town, Tambuwal Local Government Area of Sokoto State, following the U.S. airstrike.
Community sources stated that upon excavation, a metal object similar to the previous explosive was spotted, and it was recommended that digging be halted due to suspicions that it might be unexploded ordnance.

According to the source, “Authorities have urged the public to avoid approaching the area, refrain from inspecting or excavating anything, and leave the site entirely until security personnel with expertise in handling such matters arrive and clear the area.

“Everyone should stay away from the area until the excavation of the explosive devices is completed,” the source stated.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Police have deployed a team of explosives experts to Jabo town to investigate objects resembling bombs that were discovered buried in the ground near the site of the U.S. airstrikes.
Security personnel have already cordoned off the area and are tightening security in the affected locations.

The Police Area Commander in charge of Tambuwal Local Government Area, Muhammed Augie, has warned against scavenging metal remnants from the sites of the recent airstrikes.

The warning comes after some residents were seen scavenging items from the incident site, such as scrap metal, aluminium, wires, batteries and other materials that could be sold.

The Area Commander, who was present at the scene, declined to comment on the bombing incident but urged the District Head of Jabo, Alhaji Abubakar Jabo, to caution residents against visiting the strike location or handling fragments from the explosion.

Meanwhile, the Commandant of Base 15 Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Unit in Sokoto, Hassan Jatau, said the area had been cordoned off to prevent possible harm from unexploded materials.

He emphasised the need for public sensitisation, noting that unexploded ordnance could pose serious dangers.

Residents were seen in television footage collecting metallic pieces believed to be remnants of the device and hiding them in their homes, with plans to sell them later to scrap dealers.

The District Head of Jabo, Alhaji Aliyu Garba Jabo, said, “Despite the risks, our young ones still picked through debris without protective gear, unaware that unexploded or contaminated fragments could still pose serious danger.

“With no clear communication on the hazards associated with explosive remnants, people were treating the explosive remains as if they were something precious.

“Such practice reflects a deeper crisis rooted in poverty, lack of awareness, and the absence of immediate government intervention following the explosion,” Alhaji Garba Jabo stated.

See also  Oyo protests go nationwide, NASS moves on state police in reaction to school children abduction

According to the Tangaza LGA Chairman, Isa Saleh Bashir, who spoke to the BBC, the strike hit bush paths and terrorist camps in the area.

“We have not received information on the number of people killed, but they are certainly injured. Reports indicate that Niger Republic security forces on patrol said they saw Lakurawa fleeing the area,” the local government chairman said.

The airstrikes, reportedly targeting ISIS militants, have sparked panic and confusion among locals, with many questioning the government’s ability to protect its citizens.

Crush Bandits, Terrorists Hibernating In Sokoto, Army Chief Tasks Troops

Meanwhile, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Waidi Shaibu, has charged troops of 8 Division, Sokoto, and the Joint Task Force, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, to sustain the current operational tempo and decisively eliminate bandits and terrorists operating within Sokoto and its environs.

Lt-Gen Shaibu gave the charge on Saturday, December 27, 2025, while addressing troops of 248 Reconnaissance Battalion, Illela, Sokoto State, during an operational visit to formations and units under the 8 Division Area of Responsibility.

In a statement by the Director of Army Public Relations, Colonel Appolonia Anele, the Army Chief commended troops for their gallantry, professionalism and resilience in confronting criminal elements whose activities have brought untold hardship to innocent Nigerians.

He lauded their operational successes, noting that their sustained efforts have significantly improved security within their Area of Responsibility.

“You must maintain the momentum to further annihilate and send the terrorists to their maker, who will decide what to do with them. We can no longer tolerate their excesses against the Nigerian people,” he said.

Shaibu further reassured the troops of his unwavering commitment to their welfare.

He also directed the construction of additional accommodation, medical and other essential facilities at Illela Barracks to enhance the morale, wellbeing and operational effectiveness of troops and their families.

Ndume Urges Extension Of Military Operations To North-East

Former Senate Leader, Ali Ndume, has called on the Federal Government to extend Nigeria’s joint military operations with the United States against terrorist hideouts to the North-East region of the country.

Ndume made the appeal in a statement issued to journalists yesterday in Abuja, where he commended the recent military strikes carried out against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) cells in Tangaza Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

He described the operation as timely and effective, noting that similar coordinated actions were urgently needed in the North-East, where terrorist activities remain persistent.

The United States President, Donald Trump, had earlier announced the attacks on his Truth Social platform, revealing that the Department of War executed what he described as “numerous perfect strikes.”

Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Maitama Tuggar, later confirmed the development, stating that the United States military strikes were carried out with Nigeria’s full cooperation, approval and intelligence support.

He stressed that the operation did not violate Nigeria’s sovereignty and was not targeted at any religious group.

See also  3-storey building accommodating varsity students collapses in Ebonyi

Ndume, a former chairman of the Senate Committee on Army, said extending the joint military operations to the North-East would significantly weaken the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) and Boko Haram.

“We welcome this cooperation between Nigeria and the United States in targeting terrorist hideouts,” Ndume said.

“I am calling on them to extend it to the North-East, where ISWAP and Boko Haram have their three known black spots: Lake Chad, Mandara Mountains and Sambisa Forest, which are exclusive strongholds of ISWAP and Boko Haram,” he said.

The Borno South lawmaker further suggested that the military cooperation should go beyond airstrikes to include ground troop support.

“I also want to suggest that the military cooperation with the United States should extend to ground troops in training, intelligence and logistics. They should also back it up with attack helicopter support for ground troops,” he said.

Ndume commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for allocating what he described as the highest-ever funding to the defence sector in the 2026 budget.

However, he stressed the need for accountability and transparency in the utilisation of the funds.

The former Senate Chief Whip also expressed condolences to victims of a recent suicide bomb blast at a mosque in Gamboru, Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, which reportedly claimed five lives and left several others injured.

“I sympathise with the bomb blast victims in Borno State, where many people were killed and injured. The incident in the mosque in Gamboru is a clear indication that the terrorists do not care about religion,” he said.

“In this instance, on the eve of Christmas, all the victims were Muslims. So, the narrative of Christian genocide does not exist. The terrorists making life unbearable for our people are blind to religion,” Ndume added.

Nigeria’s Insecurity Problem Requires Strong Political Will To Tackle – Taraba CAN Chairman
The chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in Taraba State, Very Rev. Fr William Owoshiri, has said Nigeria’s insecurity is fundamentally an internal problem that requires strong political will and adequate empowerment of the nation’s security agencies, rather than reliance on external troops.

He cautioned that direct military intervention by the United States in Nigeria’s fight against terrorism would not provide a lasting solution to the country’s insecurity challenges.

He spoke in an interview with journalists at the end of a special interdenominational service held at St Augustine Catholic Church in Jalingo.

Rev. Fr Owoshiri, who is also a lecturer at Taraba State University, expressed concern that foreign military involvement could create deeper security problems once such missions are concluded.
According to him, while recent military offensives by the United States government under President

Donald Trump against extremist groups such as ISIS may appear effective in the short term, similar intervention in Nigeria could expose the country to renewed waves of violence after foreign forces withdraw.

He questioned why the Federal Government would opt for temporary foreign military support instead of fully equipping and strengthening Nigeria’s armed forces to address the challenge decisively.

See also  Lagos is a no-man’s land, Bwala defends FG’s investment

The Taraba CAN chairman recalled Nigeria’s successful peacekeeping roles in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Congo and other conflict zones across Africa, noting that the scale of insecurity in those countries was more severe than what Nigeria currently faces.

“Our security forces are strong enough to confront any aggression,” he said.

“They are well-trained personnel. If the government has the will, the Nigerian military can handle this challenge without external forces.”

He argued that foreign intervention would only offer a short-term solution and asked how long such external forces would remain in the country before leaving Nigeria to confront the same challenges again.

“This is our internal problem, and we have the capacity to face it. What we need is the political will to say enough is enough and to flush out these criminal elements,” he added.

Rev. Fr Owoshiri further emphasised that Nigeria’s Army, Navy, Air Force, Police, Civil Defence Corps and even local vigilante groups possess the capacity to confront terrorists, particularly if they are properly equipped and supported with modern weapons, drones and intelligence.

He noted that local vigilantes, with their knowledge of the terrain and forests, could play a critical role if adequately empowered.

The priest called on the United States and other allies to support Nigeria through intelligence sharing, logistical assistance and the provision of modern surveillance equipment.

He cited conflicts in countries such as Ukraine, Russia and Gaza, warning that external military involvement often complicates crises rather than resolving them.

“We do not want a situation where external intervention will compound our problems. What we need is support that strengthens our capacity, not one that weakens our sovereignty,” Rev. Fr Owoshiri said.

Troops Repel Terrorists In Adamawa

Troops of Operation Hadin Kai, in collaboration with other security elements, have successfully repelled an attack by suspected Boko Haram terrorists while approaching Garaha, a community in Hong Local Government Area of Adamawa State.

An eyewitness said the incident occurred on December 24 at a border community connecting Askira/Uba Local Government Area.

Supported by members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), the troops swiftly responded to a distress call about the attempted incursion.

“The insurgents attempted to attack the village but were decisively engaged by the troops, who repelled them and forced them to retreat,” a security source disclosed.

No casualties were recorded during the incident, as residents of the village had fled the area before the terrorists arrived.

The Nigerian troops, it was learnt, have intensified patrols and surveillance in the general area and along border communities to prevent further attacks and deny the terrorists freedom of movement.

Operation Hadin Kai reiterated its commitment to sustaining offensive operations against Boko Haram and ISWAP elements to ensure the safety of lives and property in the North-East region.

Efforts to confirm the attack from the military or the police were unsuccessful.

Source: LEADERSHIP.NG

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  UPDATED: NCAA stops Fuji star K1 de Ultimate from flying for six months

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Ghana defence, environment ministers killed in helicopter crash — Presidency
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Ghana defence, environment ministers killed in helicopter crash — Presidency

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending