Connect with us

Politics

Wike bloc asks court to nullify PDP convention

Published

on

The faction of the  Peoples Democratic Party aligned with the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory  has approached the Federal High Court in Abuja, seeking an order nullifying the party’s convention held in Ibadan, Oyo State on November 15 and 16 by the faction aligned with the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde.

The suit marked, FHC/ABJ/CS/250/2025, has as plaintiffs  the PDP, its Acting National Chairman, Mohammed Abdulrahman, and National Secretary, Samuel Anyanwu.

They are asking the court to declare the convention and all resolutions “null, void and of no effect.”

They want the court to restrain the Independent National Electoral Commission from recognising the convention.

The move follows earlier legal actions by aggrieved PDP members who argued that proceeding with the convention violated the party’s internal rules, the Electoral Act, and other statutory provisions.

Previous complainants include Imo PDP Chairman Austin Nwachukwu, Abia PDP Chairman Amah Abraham Nnanna, and South-South PDP Secretary Turnah Alabh George.

On October 31, 2025, Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja restrained INEC from recognising the convention.

In a separate suit, former Jigawa State Governor Sule Lamido successfully challenged his exclusion from purchasing a nomination form to contest for national chairman, with Justice Peter Lifu ordering that the convention should not proceed unless he was allowed to obtain the form.

In contrast, Justice A. L. Akintola of the Oyo State High Court, Ibadan, issued an interim order permitting the PDP to hold the convention as scheduled.

Despite the conflicting rulings, the party went ahead with the Ibadan event under heavy security, during which Anyanwu, Wike, former Ekiti State Governor Ayo Fayose, and eight others were expelled.

See also  PDP in talks with Obi, other southern politicians — Jerry Gana

In the new suit dated November 21, the plaintiffs listed 18 defendants, including INEC, the Inspector-General of Police, the FCT Commissioner of Police, the State Security Service, and several PDP officials.

They allege the convention was conducted “in flagrant disregard” of three subsisting Federal High Court orders and seek to prevent recognition of the new officers, restore access to party offices at Wadata Plaza and Legacy House, and compel security agencies to enforce the earlier judgments.

The plaintiffs also request judicial determination on whether any authority can lawfully recognise the Ibadan convention in light of the Constitution, the Electoral Act, and the PDP constitution.

The suit has not yet been assigned to a judge, and no hearing date has been fixed.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Lamido gives PDP 10-day ultimatum, demands caretaker committee to end crisis

Published

on

Former Governor of Jigawa State, Alhaji Sule Lamido, has issued a 10-day ultimatum to the Peoples Democratic Party to resolve its internal crisis, calling for the dissolution of the recent Ibadan elective convention and the immediate formation of a national caretaker committee.

Lamido made the call on Thursday while addressing his supporters—including former local government chairmen, ex-commissioners, and other political appointees—who paid him a solidarity visit at his Sharada office in Kano.

He expressed concern over the lingering crisis within the party, stating that long-time stakeholders like himself have been sidelined by “new forces” within the PDP.

“The current turmoil in the party is partly linked to efforts to undermine my political relevance,” Lamido said.

He insisted that his legal actions were not aimed at forcing himself into party leadership, but rather to protect the PDP’s legacy and defend his fundamental rights, which he said had been violated.

He stressed that, as things stand, Umar Damagum and Samuel Anyanwu remain the legitimate leaders of the party until their tenure expires on December 8, 2025.

He warned that allowing the party to continue without clear leadership structures could jeopardise the future of aspirants, serving officeholders, and those planning to recontest positions.

“I am pushing for a caretaker committee. I am calling on Wike, Damagum, and others to forgive one another and support the formation of a unified caretaker body,” Lamido said.

The former governor urged PDP leaders to convene a joint meeting to honestly address the party’s challenges and restore it to its rightful place in national politics.

See also  Ekiti 2026: APC sets N40m for nomination form, offers discounts for youths, women

He also appealed to his supporters to remain calm and patient until December 8 to see how events unfold.

PUNCH Online reports that the PDP has been embroiled in a leadership crisis.

The friction intensified after a faction led by the Acting National Chairman, Umar Damagum, pushed forward with convention preparations despite a ruling by a Federal High Court in Abuja restraining the party from proceeding.

At the same time, another court decision — by an Oyo State High Court — granted the PDP clearance to go ahead with the convention, creating conflicting legal directives and deepening the confusion.

The internal strife further worsened when members of a rival faction, aligned with Nyesom Wike and some national working committee officials, announced a boycott of the Ibadan convention, declaring it illegal and unconstitutional.

Several state chapters — including that of Rivers State — publicly rejected the convention and refused to partake, citing breakdowns in communication and disregard for due process.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Alia dismisses rumoured ADC defection plan

Published

on

Benue State Governor, Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Alia, has reaffirmed his commitment to the All Progressives Congress, dismissing reports alleging that he plans to defect to the African Democratic Congress.

The governor was reacting to a social media claim accusing him of secretly visiting former Senate President in the aborted Third Republic, Senator Iyorchia Ayu, to perfect a defection plan.

Ayu, a former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, was removed after the party’s 2023 presidential primary crisis.

In a statement issued on Wednesday by his Chief Press Secretary, Kula Terso, Alia described the report as “laughable, wicked, mischievous, and a vicious smear campaign” aimed at distracting him from governance and misleading the Presidency for selfish political motives.

The statement was titled “Mischievous fake story on Governor Alia’s alleged defection to ADC.”

The governor explained that his recent visits to respected Benue elders, including Senator Ayu, had no political or religious undertone but reflected his administration’s inclusive approach.

He listed other prominent figures he had met—among them Senator Prof. David Iornem, Elder David Iorwashima Amo, and Ambassador Terhemen Tarzoor—as part of efforts to woo more stakeholders into the APC.

“Opposition structures across Benue State are collapsing daily into the APC,” the statement added, noting that defection ceremonies were taking place in virtually all local government areas, with influential figures joining the ruling party in large numbers.

Alia restated his resolve to build a united and dominant APC in the state, saying he was prepared to engage even “the fiercest political opponents” as part of a broader consolidation strategy ahead of 2027 for both his administration and President Bola Tinubu.

See also  PDP in talks with Obi, other southern politicians — Jerry Gana

He urged the public to disregard the rumour, warning that it was intended to sow confusion and undermine the party’s growing strength.

Governor Alia and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, have been locked in a protracted battle for control of the Benue APC, resulting in deep factionalisation.

A recent impeachment plot against Alia was foiled, leading to the removal and suspension of the Speaker of the Benue State House of Assembly, Hyacinth Dajoh.

Alia’s administration recently demolished a part of the campaign office of President Bola Tinubu in Makurdi, Benue State.

The building, which also serves as the state secretariat of the Ahmed Bola Tinubu Support Group, had its perimeter fence pulled down during the operation carried out by the Benue State Urban Development Board.

Alia also recently stirred controversy after declaring that there is no Christian genocide in Benue State, a position that put him at odds with the Catholic Church in the state.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Atiku to pick ADC membership card today in Adamawa

Published

on

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar is expected to formally register as a member of the African Democratic Congress today (Monday), a move that could reshape the opposition landscape ahead of the 2027 elections.

Atiku, who addressed ADC supporters and stakeholders in Adamawa at the weekend, confirmed his decision to sign up with the coalition party on Monday.

An aide to the former vice president, Abdul Rasheeth, disclosed this on Sunday.

“Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar is set to officially join the ADC tomorrow, a move that could significantly alter Nigeria’s political landscape.

“During his speech to ADC supporters and stakeholders in Adamawa State, he announced his plan to register with the African Democratic Congress on Monday,” he stated via his X account.

According to him, Atiku’s planned registration marks a decisive step in the broader opposition realignment currently underway.

Though Atiku in July led the adoption of the ADC as the coalition platform for opposition figures to challenge Presicent Bola Tinubu in 2027, he and other prominent opposition figures, such as Peter Obi and Babachir Lawal, had delayed their formal registration with the party.

Last week, the Adamawa State ADC Chairman, Shehu Yohanna, urged former vice president,  Babachir Lawal, and other key figures to officially register as authentic members of the party.

Speaking exclusively to The PUNCH on Tuesday, Yohanna disclosed that Atiku would be in Yola, the Adamawa State capital, for his birthday and other activities in his hometown of Jada Local Government Area this week.

“I spoke with the former Vice President on Tuesday morning after his arrival in Nigeria, and he told me he would be in Yola for his birthday celebration and the distribution of some items to people in Jada,” Yohanna said.

See also  The biggest beneficiaries of the Fourth Republic are the South West - APC chieftain, Adamu Garba

“I believe he will use the visit to officially register his membership and collect his card.

I think the former SGF and other intending members will do the same to legalise their membership,” he added.

The planned move comes barely 48 hours after the ADC cleared the air on why both Atiku and Obi were absent at the unveiling of the party’s new national secretariat in Abuja on November 17.

The ADC leadership dismissed speculation that Obi shunned the ceremony because the building—now serving as the party’s secretariat—was formerly used as Atiku’s campaign office.

The event was attended by ADC National Chairman David Mark, National Secretary Rauf Aregbesola, and former Kaduna State governor Nasir El-Rufai, but both Atiku and Obi were missing and issued no formal explanation.

Mark described the new office as a symbol of the coalition’s ambition to redefine Nigeria’s political future.

“It is a physical testament to our collective resolve to build a greater nation. This ADC coalition is a historic child of necessity, inspired by people’s desire for good governance, greater accountability, and a stronger democracy,” he said.

The ADC National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, also dismissed claims of disunity, insisting neither Obi nor Atiku had withdrawn support for the coalition.

“The programme was impromptu; most of the party leaders were not in attendance. Obi was out of the country, and Atiku wasn’t available.

There’s nothing to suggest that Peter Obi is withdrawing from the coalition. He is still with us,” he said.

He further clarified that the building had no ties to Atiku beyond his expired tenancy.

See also  Taraba, Plateau, Adamawa govs face defection dilemma as Tinubu's Hurricane strikes

“Let me state again that Atiku isn’t the owner of the building, and he didn’t donate it to the ADC. He leased the building, and his rent had expired. The ADC rented the building.”

Abdullahi maintained that there was no rift within the party, adding that its leaders remain united in their push to unseat President Bola Tinubu in 2027.

Amid Atiku’s move, Obi has remained silent, with his allies insisting he is only taking time to make the “right decision.”

Obi’s former campaign spokesman and National Coordinator of the Obidient Movement Worldwide, Dr Yunusa Tanko, dismissed rumours that Obi may be preparing to exit the coalition.

“No, Obi is not abandoning the ADC coalition. I don’t know where that speculation is coming from. He will make a statement soon because he needs to get it right now that a lot of people are showing interest in him,” he said.

Tanko stressed that Obi was being cautious about where to seek his 2027 presidential ticket.

“He doesn’t want to be in a place where he will feel trapped. So he needs to be extremely careful where he gets his ticket.

“Our hope is that since the presidency is the turn of a southern candidate, the ADC will be looking to give him the ticket.”

He added that Obi’s timeline remains unchanged.

“Already, he said he would make his intention known after the Anambra election. And he will do it at the appropriate time. He shouldn’t be pressured,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending