Connect with us

News

See why Wole Soyinka snubbed US Embassy’s summons

Published

on

Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, explained on Tuesday that he shunned an invitation by the US embassy for a visa re-interview in September because he was not comfortable with the September 11 date fixed for the exercise.

September 11 became a symbolic date in the US after the September 11, 2021, devastating terror attack on the Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre in New York City and other locations.

Soyinka, who described himself as superstitious, said he found it odd that the embassy would choose September 11 for his visa re-interview.

The world-acclaimed writer gave the explanation during a media parley, titled  “Unending Saga: Idi Amin in Whiteface” which was held at Kongi’s Harvest Gallery, Freedom Park, Lagos Island.

At the gathering, Soyinka disclosed that the US embassy had revoked his visa, saying the media parley was necessary to let those expecting him in the US to know that he had been “banned”.

Soyinka, who is a vocal critic of the US President Donald Trump, said he got the notice of his visa revocation in a letter dated October 23, 2025, and wondered what could have led to it.

In the letter, the US Consulate stated that the Nobel laureate’s non-immigrant visa “has been revoked pursuant to the authority contained in the U.S. Department of State regulations 22 CFR 41.122 and is no longer valid for application for entry into the United States. Additional information became available after the visa below was issued. This revocation refers only to the visa listed below.”

The Consulate further requested Soyinka to bring his visa to the Lagos embassy “for physical cancellation,” a request the Nobel laureate described as humorous, asking if anyone in the audience would volunteer to deliver it to the embassy on his behalf.

See also  1,000 abducted Nigerians: Families beg as kidnappers go silent

“If you have plans to travel to the United States, you must apply again to re-establish your qualifications for a new non-immigrant visa,” the letter, issued by the NIV Section of the Consulate, added.

Soyinka’s B1/B2 visa was issued on April 2, 2024, in Lagos, according to the letter.

Soyinka said the media parley was necessary so that people expecting him in the US would know that he had been “banned”.

“It is necessary for me to hold this press conference so that people in the United States who are expecting me for this event or that event do not waste their time. I have no visa; I am banned, obviously, from the United States. And if you want to see me, you know where to find me,” the 91-year-old author, playwright, and poet told journalists at the upper chamber of the art gallery.

Soyinka expressed surprise over the development, saying, “I’ve started looking back—have I ever misbehaved toward the United States of America? Do I have a history? Have I been convicted? Have I gone against the law anywhere?”

He, however, noted that the development would not affect his relationship with US citizens.

“I assured them that both he and his staff are given permanent visas anytime they want to visit the Autonomous Republic of Ijegba, situated in Abeokuta. There will be no reciprocal conduct from my principalities,” Soyinka said, making reference to a recent conversation he had with the US ambassador in Lagos over the revocation.

When asked if he would be willing to travel to the United States in the near future, Soyinka responded in the affirmative but ruled out the possibility of him making the move to seek his visa reinstatement.

According to him, given his age and contributions to the U.S., he owes the country nothing and vice versa.

See also  South Korean judge who hiked ex-first lady’s jail sentence found dead

“How old am I now? What am I looking for anywhere? Like I said, I have nothing against the American citizens. Human beings live there — friends, families, and colleagues. There are a lot of art productions going on there, and there are philosophers. There are remarkable beings in that place.

“So, if circumstances change, yes (I will), and (if) I were invited. But I won’t make the effort myself. I won’t take the initiative myself because there is nothing I’m looking for there. I’ve been responsible for the creation of some institutions in that place. I’ve given as much as I’ve taken from that place. They owe me nothing, and I owe them nothing.”

On September 10, 2025, Soyinka told PM News that he would not honour an invitation by the U.S. Consulate in Nigeria for a visa re-interview, which was scheduled for Thursday, September 11.

Making reference to the invitation on Tuesday, Soyinka said he did not honour the invitation because, on one hand, he had a problem with the date, and on the other hand, he was not interested.

He said, “I don’t know if any of you read the statement I made when I received a letter asking me to bring back my passport because certain facts may have come out since the visa was issued.

“And I was given a date to report to their consulate with my passport. I declined the invitation. First of all, I didn’t like the date. Everybody knows what happened on that date, 9/11, many years ago, so it is rather unfortunate that they picked that date. So I said, ‘Sorry, I’m superstitious; I’m not coming on that day.’ And ultimately, I made it clear I was not going to apply for another date to bring in my passport. So I travelled out.

“When I came back — even before I came back — I got a letter from the ambassador. I wish to always stress that I have absolutely nothing against individual citizens. I have a continuing good relationship with members of the U.S. embassy.”

See also  US Congress panels talk tough over Nigeria IDP crisis

He continued, “So we arranged a call, and I explained. Again, he offered a special visit by me at the consulate, and they would ask a few questions about the possible facts that existed that they didn’t know about when this visa was issued. We spoke, and I said, ‘Shall I be equally frank with you? I’m not interested.’”

Best known as a playwright, Soyinka won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1986. He had lived abroad, primarily in the U.S., for a long time, where he held professorships at several universities, according to The Nobel Prize.

Soyinka’s visa revocation sparks fresh conversation about recent steps taken by the U.S. to check migrant influx into the country, especially from Africa.

The PUNCH reported in July that the U.S. Department of State announced an update to its non-immigrant visa policy for Nigerian citizens.

According to a press release issued by the U.S. Embassy in Abuja, “most non-immigrant and non-diplomatic visas issued to citizens of Nigeria will be single-entry visas with a three-month validity period.”

However, the embassy clarified that “those U.S. non-immigrant visas issued before July 8, 2025, will retain their status and validity.”

In August, the U.S. Mission in Nigeria also issued a directive to visa applicants mandating the disclosure of all social media usernames and handles used over the past five years as part of the visa application process.

The directive, announced in a post on the Mission’s official X account, came as the U.S. Department of State reiterated its commitment to bolster national security through enhanced screening measures.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  South Korean judge who hiked ex-first lady’s jail sentence found dead

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  US Congress panels talk tough over Nigeria IDP crisis
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test in days

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending